SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 8 - 3 - 17

User
6 years ago

Rupert Brooke Quotes
English - Poet August 3, 1887 - April 23, 1915

A kiss makes the heart young again and wipes out the years.
Rupert Brooke

Cities, like cats, will reveal themselves at night.
Rupert Brooke

Breathless, we flung us on a windy hill, Laughed in the sun, and kissed the lovely grass.
Rupert Brooke

The cool kindliness of sheets, that soon smooth away trouble; and the rough male kiss of blankets.
Rupert Brooke

We always love those who admire us; we do not always love those whom we admire.
Rupert Brooke

A book may be compared to your neighbor: if it be good, it cannot last too long; if bad, you cannot get rid of it too early.
Rupert Brooke

Ernie Pyle Quotes
American - Journalist August 3, 1900 - April 18, 1945

I was away from the front lines for a while this spring, living with other troops, and considerable fighting took place while I was gone. When I got ready to return to my old friends at the front I wondered if I would sense any change in them.
Ernie Pyle

About every two minutes a new wave of planes would be over. The motors seemed to grind rather than roar, and to have an angry pulsation like a bee buzzing in blind fury.
Ernie Pyle

War makes strange giant creatures out of us little routine men who inhabit the earth.
Ernie Pyle

Someday when peace has returned to this odd world I want to come to London again and stand on a certain balcony on a moonlit night and look down upon the peaceful silver curve of the Thames with its dark bridges.
Ernie Pyle

I've been immersed in it too long. My spirit is wobbly and my mind is confused. The hurt has become too great.
Ernie Pyle

If you go long enough without a bath, even the fleas will leave you alone.
Ernie Pyle

Below us the Thames grew lighter, and all around below were the shadows - the dark shadows of buildings and bridges that formed the base of this dreadful masterpiece.
Ernie Pyle

At last we are in it up to our necks, and everything is changed, even your outlook on life.
Ernie Pyle

But to the fighting soldier that phase of the war is behind. It was left behind after his first battle. His blood is up. He is fighting for his life, and killing now for him is as much a profession as writing is for me.
Ernie Pyle

I've really been sick with this cold, but I think I might have kept the columns going anyhow except I was just so low in spirit, I didn't have the will to struggle against them when my deadline was so close and I felt so lousy.
Ernie Pyle

In their eyes as they pass is not hatred, not excitement, not despair, not the tonic of their victory - there is just the simple expression of being here as though they had been here doing this forever, and nothing else.
Ernie Pyle

Swinging first and swinging to kill is all that matters now.
Ernie Pyle

The American soldier is quick in adapting himself to a new mode of living. Outfits which have been here only three days have dug vast networks of ditches three feet deep in the bare brown earth. They have rigged up a light here and there with a storage battery.
Ernie Pyle

The front-line soldier wants it to be got over by the physical process of his destroying enough Germans to end it. He is truly at war. The rest of us, no matter how hard we work, are not.
Ernie Pyle

The men are walking. They are fifty feet apart, for dispersal. Their walk is slow, for they are dead weary, as you can tell even when looking at them from behind. Every line and sag of their bodies speaks their inhuman exhaustion.
Ernie Pyle

All the rest of us - you and me and even the thousands of soldiers behind the lines in Africa - we want terribly yet only academically for the war to get over.
Ernie Pyle

If I can just see the European war out I think I might feel justified in quitting the war.
Ernie Pyle

It was a night when London was ringed and stabbed with fire.
Ernie Pyle

Our artillery has really been sensational. For once we have enough of something and at the right time. Officers tell me they actually have more guns than they know what to do with.
Ernie Pyle

The closest fires were near enough for us to hear the crackling flames and the yells of firemen. Little fires grew into big ones even as we watched. Big ones died down under the firemen's valor only to break out again later.
Ernie Pyle

Clifford D. Simak Quotes
American - Writer August 3, 1904 - April 25, 1988

It was a place without a single feature of the space-time matrix that he knew. It was a place where nothing yet had happened - an utter emptiness. There was neither light nor dark: there was nothing here but emptiness.
Clifford D. Simak

We said, there's another second gone, there's another minute and another hour and another day, when, as a matter of fact the second or the minute or the hour was never gone. It was the same one all the time. It had just moved along and we had moved with it.
Clifford D. Simak

What do you mean by faith? Is faith enough for Man? Should he be satisfied with faith alone? Is there no way of finding out the truth? Is the attitude of faith, of believing in something for which there can be no more than philosophic proof, the true mark of a Christian?
Clifford D. Simak

If the means were available, we could trace our ancestry - yours and mine - back to the first blob of life-like material that came into being on the planet.
Clifford D. Simak

It seems to me, thinking of it, that there must be some universal plan which set in motion the orbiting of the electrons about the nucleus and the slower, more majestic orbit of the galaxies about one another to the very edge of space.
Clifford D. Simak

If mankind were to continue in other than the present barbarism, a new path must be found, a new civilization based on some other method than technology.
Clifford D. Simak

Could that have been what happened to the human race - a willing perversity that set at naught all human values which had been so hardly won and structured in the light of reason for a span of more than a million years?
Clifford D. Simak

Without consciousness and intelligence, the universe would lack meaning.
Clifford D. Simak

It is only of life on Earth, however, that one can speak with any certainty. It seems to me that all life on Earth, the sum total of life upon the Earth, has purpose.
Clifford D. Simak

It would seem to me that by the time a race has achieved deep space capability it would have matured to a point where it would have no thought of dominating another intelligent species.
Clifford D. Simak

Must faith be exactly that, the willingness and ability to believe in the face of a lack of evidence? If one could find the evidence, would then the faith be dead?
Clifford D. Simak

My reluctance to use alien invasion is due to the feeling that we are not likely to be invaded and taken over.
Clifford D. Simak

These are the stories the Dogs tell, when the fires burn high and the wind is from the north.
Clifford D. Simak

Time is still the great mystery to us. It is no more than a concept; we don't know if it even exists.
Clifford D. Simak

When I talk of the purpose of life, I am thinking not only of human life, but of all life on Earth and of the life which must exist upon other planets throughout the universe.
Clifford D. Simak

Less than an hour before he'd congratulated himself on escaping all the traps of Earth, all the snares of Man. Not knowing that the greatest trap of all, the final and the fatal trap, lay on this present planet.
Clifford D. Simak

And time itself? Time was a never-ending medium that stretched into the future and the past - except there was no future and no past, but an infinite number of brackets, extending either way, each bracket enclosing its single phase of the Universe.
Clifford D. Simak

George M. Whitesides Quotes
American - Scientist Born: August 3, 1939

The virtue of binary is that it's the simplest possible way of representing numbers. Anything else is more complicated. You can catch errors with it, it's unambiguous in its reading, there are lots of good things about binary. So it is very, very simple once you learn how to read it.
George M. Whitesides

We academics - I am an academic - we love complexity. You can write papers about complexity, and the nice thing about complexity is it's fundamentally intractable in many ways, so you're not responsible for outcomes.
George M. Whitesides

Nanoengineering is learning how to make devices as small as 10 to 100 atoms in width. Much of the work is going on in the electronics industry, where there is great demand to pack more components onto computer chips.
George M. Whitesides

Chemists have always been in the business of taking atoms and putting them together with other atoms with precisely defined connections.
George M. Whitesides

Simplicity, for reasons that are a little bit obscure, is almost not pursued, at least in the academic world.
George M. Whitesides

The number of people who really work creatively on new sources of water isn't enormously large for the reason that I don't think people have very many ideas on how to get fundamentally new sources of water. We sort of think we've thought that problem through. I hope that's not true.
George M. Whitesides

Because of climate changes, it's not just a question of producing energy. It's a question of producing energy in a way that we can live with in the long term. If you look at the available pieces, from conservation to nuclear, solar, whatever, and you put them all together, we can't do it.
George M. Whitesides

One of the issues in electronics is that we work only in two scales - transistors and collections of transistors - and that's the device. But to take full advantage of nano, we're going to have to think about that full hierarchy of levels of structure.
George M. Whitesides

Part of science is the questioning of authority, absolute freedom of ideology. The Soviets did some very good science, but when science ran into ideology, it had trouble. Science flourishes best in a democracy.
George M. Whitesides

Capitalism is a wonderful economic engine, but it assigns little value to long-term projects or societal problems.
George M. Whitesides

Science has the potential to solve all kinds of problems, but it depends on what a society wants to accomplish.
George M. Whitesides

Sponsored
More Discussions