SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 11 - 8 - 17

User
6 years ago

Sarah Fielding Quotes
British - Author November 8, 1710 - April 9, 1768

The words of kindness are more healing to a drooping heart than balm or honey.
Sarah Fielding

Flattery in courtship is the highest insolence, for whilst it pretends to bestow on you more than you deserve, it is watching an opportunity to take from you what you really have.
Sarah Fielding

Tis this desire of bending all things to our own purposes which turns them into confusion and is the chief source of every error in our lives.
Sarah Fielding

I fancied I had some constancy of mind because I could bear my own sufferings, but found through the sufferings of others I could be weakened like a child.
Sarah Fielding

If modesty and candor are necessary to an author in his judgment of his own works, no less are they in his reader.
Sarah Fielding

The loss of liberty which must attend being a wife was of all things the most horrible to my imagination.
Sarah Fielding

I was condemned to be beheaded, or burnt, as the king pleased; and he was graciously pleased, from the great remains of his love, to choose the mildest sentence.
Sarah Fielding

Richard Cecil Quotes
English - Clergyman November 8, 1748 - August 15, 1810

If I have made an appointment with you, I owe you punctuality, I have no right to throw away your time, if I do my own.
Richard Cecil
Time, You, My Own

The first step towards knowledge is to know that we are ignorant.
Richard Cecil

God's way of answering the Christian's prayer for more patience, experience, hope and love often is to put him into the furnace of affliction.
Richard Cecil

Wisdom prepares for the worst, but folly leaves the worst for the day when it comes.
Richard Cecil

Every year of my life I grow more convinced that it is wisest and best to fix our attention on the beautiful and the good, and dwell as little as possible on the evil and the false.
Richard Cecil

Self-will so ardent and active that it will break a world to pieces to make a stool to sit on.
Richard Cecil

The history of all the great characters of the Bible is summed up in this one sentence: They acquainted themselves with God, and acquiesced His will in all things.
Richard Cecil

The world looks at preachers out of church to know what they mean in it.
Richard Cecil

There is no such thing as a fixed policy, because policy like all organic entities is always in the making.
Richard Cecil

Bram Stoker Quotes
Irish - Writer November 8, 1847 - April 20, 1912

No man knows till he has suffered from the night how sweet and dear to his heart and eye the morning can be.
Bram Stoker

How blessed are some people, whose lives have no fears, no dreads; to whom sleep is a blessing that comes nightly, and brings nothing but sweet dreams.
Bram Stoker

And so we remained till the red of the dawn began to fall through the snow gloom. I was desolate and afraid, and full of woe and terror. But when that beautiful sun began to climb the horizon life was to me again.
Bram Stoker

I saw the Count lying within the box upon the earth, some of which the rude falling from the cart had scattered over him. He was deathly pale, just like a waxen image, and the red eyes glared with the horrible vindictive look which I knew so well.
Bram Stoker

There are mysteries which men can only guess at, which age by age they may solve only in part.
Bram Stoker

Within, stood a tall old man, clean shaven save for a long white moustache, and clad in black from head to foot, without a single speck of colour about him anywhere.
Bram Stoker

Despair has its own calms.
Bram Stoker

It was like a miracle, but before our very eyes, and almost in the drawing of a breath, the whole body crumbled into dust and passed from our sight.
Bram Stoker

Suddenly, I became conscious of the fact that the driver was in the act of pulling up the horses in the courtyard of a vast ruined castle, from whose tall black windows came no ray of light, and whose broken battlements showed a jagged line against the sky.
Bram Stoker

There are such beings as vampires, some of us have evidence that they exist. Even had we not the proof of our own unhappy experience, the teachings and the records of the past give proof enough for sane peoples.
Bram Stoker

It is the eve of St. George's Day. Do you not know that tonight, when the clock strikes midnight, all the evil things in the world will have full sway?
Bram Stoker

Before I left the castle I so fixed its entrances that never more can the Count enter there Undead.
Bram Stoker

Let me be accurate in everything, for though you and I have seen some strange things together, you may at the first think that I, Van Helsing, am mad. That the many horrors and the so long strain on nerves has at the last turn my brain.
Bram Stoker

A house cannot be made habitable in a day; and, after all, how few days go to make up a century.
Bram Stoker

Count Dracula had directed me to go to the Golden Krone Hotel, which I found, to my great delight, to be thoroughly old-fashioned, for of course I wanted to see all I could of the ways of the country.
Bram Stoker

He may not enter anywhere at the first, unless there be some one of the household who bid him to come, though afterwards he can come as he please.
Bram Stoker

Whether it is the old lady's fear, or the many ghostly traditions of this place, or the crucifix itself, I do not know, but I am not feeling nearly as easy in my mind as usual.
Bram Stoker

Margaret Mitchell Quotes
American - Novelist November 8, 1900 - August 16, 1949

After all, tomorrow is another day.
Margaret Mitchell

Life's under no obligation to give us what we expect.
Margaret Mitchell

I was never one to patiently pick up broken fragments and glue them together again and tell myself that the mended whole was as good as new. What is broken is broken - and I'd rather remember it as it was at its best than mend it and see the broken places as long as I lived.
Margaret Mitchell

The world can forgive practically anything except people who mind their own business.
Margaret Mitchell

I want peace. I want to see if somewhere there isn't something left in life of charm and grace.
Margaret Mitchell

Fighting is like champagne. It goes to the heads of cowards as quickly as of heroes. Any fool can be brave on a battlefield when it's be brave or else be killed.
Margaret Mitchell

The south produced statesmen and soldiers, planters and doctors and lawyers and poets, but certainly no engineers and mechanics. Let Yankees adopt such low callings.
Margaret Mitchell

With enough courage, you can do without a reputation.
Margaret Mitchell

Until you have lost your reputation, you never realize what a burden it was or what freedom really is.
Margaret Mitchell

What most people don't seem to realize is that there is just as much money to be made out of the wreckage of a civilization as from the upbuilding of one.
Margaret Mitchell

There ain't nothing from the outside that can lick any of us.
Margaret Mitchell

My dear, I don't give a damn.
Margaret Mitchell

Land is the only thing in the world that amounts to anything, for 'Tis the only thing in this world that lasts, 'Tis the only thing worth working for, worth fighting for - worth dying for.
Margaret Mitchell

Southerners can never resist a losing cause.
Margaret Mitchell

Martha Gellhorn Quotes
American - Journalist November 8, 1908 - February 15, 1998

Citizenship is a tough occupation which obliges the citizen to make his own informed opinion and stand by it.
Martha Gellhorn

Why do people talk of the horrors of old age? It's great. I feel like a fine old car with the parts gradually wearing out, but I'm not complaining,... Those who find growing old terrible are people who haven't done what they wanted with their lives.
Martha Gellhorn

The road passed through a curtain of pine forest and came out on a flat, rolling snow field. In this field the sprawled or bunched bodies of Germans lay thick, like some dark shapeless vegetable.
Martha Gellhorn

Gradually I came to realize that people will more readily swallow lies than truth, as if the taste of lies was homey, appetizing: a habit.
Martha Gellhorn

I see mysteries and complications wherever I look, and I have never met a steadily logical person.
Martha Gellhorn

It would be a bitter cosmic joke if we destroy ourselves due to atrophy of the imagination.
Martha Gellhorn

I only knew about daily life. It was said, well, it isn't everybody's daily life. That is why I started.
Martha Gellhorn

Thousand got away to other countries; thousands returned to Spain tempted by false promises of kindness. By the tens of thousands, these Spaniards died of neglect in the concentration camps.
Martha Gellhorn

I didn't write. I just wandered about.
Martha Gellhorn

After the desperate years of their own war, after six years of repression inside Spain and six years of horror in exile, these people remain intact in spirit. They are armed with a transcendent faith; they have never won, and yet they have never accepted defeat.
Martha Gellhorn

I followed the war wherever I could reach it.
Martha Gellhorn

Then somebody suggested I should write about the war, and I said I didn't know anything about the war. I did not understand anything about it. I didn't see how I could write it.
Martha Gellhorn

In the last camp they all ate grass, until the authorities forbade them to pull it up. They were accustomed to having the fruits of their little communal gardens stolen by the guards, after they had done all the work; but at the last camp everything was stolen.
Martha Gellhorn

Furthermore, they were constantly informed by all the camp authorities that they had been abandoned by the world: they were beggars and lucky to receive the daily soup of starvation.
Martha Gellhorn

But now that the guerrilla fighting is over, the Spaniards are again men without a country or families or homes or work, though everyone appreciates very much what they did.
Martha Gellhorn

If I practised sex, out of moral conviction, that was one thing; but to enjoy it... seemed a defeat.
Martha Gellhorn

I daresay I was the worst bed partner in five continents.
Martha Gellhorn

I found out about the Spanish war because I was in Germany when it began.
Martha Gellhorn

Between his eyes, there were four lines, the marks of such misery as children should never feel. He spoke with that wonderful whisky voice that so many Spanish children have, and he was a tough and entire little boy.
Martha Gellhorn

There were ten concentration camps in France from 1939 on.
Martha Gellhorn

It is alleged that half a million Spanish men, women and children fled to France after the Franco victory.
Martha Gellhorn

And though various organizations in America and England collected money and sent food parcels to these refugees, nothing was ever received by the Spanish.
Martha Gellhorn

Morley Safer Quotes
Canadian - Journalist Born: November 8, 1931

You can never have enough garlic. With enough garlic, you can eat The New York Times.
Morley Safer

The helicopter is a fine way to travel, but it induces a view of the world that only God and CEOs share on a regular basis.
Morley Safer

No great pastry chef has sweet teeth.
Morley Safer

We are on Sunday night because that is where they put us 30-odd years ago. I think we became a habit.
Morley Safer

Killing is the payoff of war.
Morley Safer

Reality TV is sleazy, it is manipulative. It is as momentary as anything in popular culture.
Morley Safer

Who knows who will be on board? A couple of spies, for sure. At least one grand duke; a few beautiful woman, no doubt very rich and very troubled. Anything can happen and usually does on the Orient Express.
Morley Safer

What has reality shows got to do with reality? It is beyond unreality; there is nothing real about it.
Morley Safer

After more than 50 years of broadcasting on 'CBS News' and '60 Minutes,' I have decided to retire. It's been a wonderful run, but the time has come to say goodbye to all of my friends at CBS and the dozens of people who kept me on the air.
Morley Safer

What does it say about us that people who are considered defective are instinctively caring and compassionate?
Morley Safer

Whenever it's suggested that our sponsors have some kind of influence or control of what we cover in some kind of censorship through financial pressure, it's rubbish. That's never happened.
Morley Safer

Kids' views are often just as valid as the teachers'. The best teachers are the ones that know that.
Morley Safer

It is always disarming to treat with the enemy, so to speak.
Morley Safer

I would trust citizen journalism as much as I would trust citizen surgery.
Morley Safer

When I did that interview with Hepburn, the only ground rule was, you did not discuss Spencer Tracy. Spencer Tracy's widow is still alive, and she respected that.
Morley Safer

Some people, you have to grit your teeth in order to stay in the same room as them, but you get on and ask the questions you assume most of the people watching want to ask.
Morley Safer

A lot of sponsors over the years have left us. They've all come back. But they chose to leave us for a while because of stories we have done about them or their products or their friend's products or whatever.
Morley Safer

After four or five different wars, I grew weary of that work, partly because in an open war, open to coverage, as Vietnam was, it's not that difficult, really.
Morley Safer

I am not in this business as a calling. I don't do what I do to right any wrongs.
Morley Safer

Pilgrims who are looking for a cure are soon looking for a curio.
Morley Safer

You can be a great president and be ridden with flaws. Of course we know that.
Morley Safer

We don't want anything from the government but that furtive little fellow called the truth - which, by the way, they'll never give you - which you have to go out and find by talking to people.
Morley Safer

I have no desire to put my feet up. Why would I?
Morley Safer

I really feel stateless, which is not bad, because I always felt a man without a country was not encumbered by narrow loyalties.
Morley Safer

Clinton's pardoning of Marc Rich was off-the-wall.
Morley Safer

Don may yawn at the idea, which he often does, but the great thing about Don, he has confidence in me and Mike and Ed and Leslie and Steve, that we're not going go out and do stories that will put people to sleep.
Morley Safer

I did three tours in Vietnam. I guess a total of about almost two years.
Morley Safer

I really don't care what movie stars have to say about life.
Morley Safer

I think it has sullied his presidency. As brilliant a politician as Bill Clinton is, as magnetic a personality as he can be, there is one little screw loose somewhere.
Morley Safer

In many ways when Jerry Ford pardoned Nixon, in a certain way, he did speak for the country.
Morley Safer

Parents like the idea of kids, they just don't like their kids.
Morley Safer

The Bush Cabinet is quite interesting, there are no flashy people in there. No stars. They all seem quite focused and serious and knowledgeable about the areas to which they have been appointed.
Morley Safer

The Republicans learned well from Bill Clinton.
Morley Safer

I don't see myself as a Luddite.
Morley Safer

So much crap passes as information that not only does the audience sometimes miss the distinction between news and crap, the editors sometimes miss the distinction.
Morley Safer

McNamara's plea was that he had no idea that Vietnam had a history of longing for self-determination, a history of resisting foreign invasion.
Morley Safer

I believe in playing petanque with a certain kind of panache - even if you're winning, you take a risk.
Morley Safer

For the most part, I think American armies are awfully good in the business of protecting civilians, of not going over the line.
Morley Safer

If you want to look at a cheap shot, look at Mr. Koons's or Mr. Gober's art. By no definition is it art.
Morley Safer

I really don't like being on television. It makes me uneasy. It is not natural to be talking to a piece of machinery. But the money is very good.
Morley Safer

When I grow up, I want to have an exhibit called 'American Motel.'
Morley Safer

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions