SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gillian_z5b

Completely cane hardy and huge

...and possibly free standing? With no support?

Reds, pinks, not picky on colour...once bloomers are ok...outside of the Explorers, all which I know, what could I use here?

The site is completely in the open, no wind barriers, and we do get very cold winters (-28 to -30c) The site also gets sun from 6am - 11am, 3:30pm-8pm/sunset.

This is beside an area that has only part sun (4-5hrs, trees block part of the morning sun, and all the afternoon), it will be the only rose in that zone.

I'll be putting in Annabelle hydrangeas, hostas, Astilbe, Coral Bell, 3 clematis in blue/purple shades and a few other perennials to give you an idea of the semi backdrop. The one and only corner that gets sufficient sun, will be for a rose.

Fire away! Any and all suggestions will be appreciated :)

Comments (34)

• Gillian (zone 5b/6a) Ontario, Canada
    Original Author
    6 years ago

PS. The only reason im asking about roses other than the Explorers for this spot (since I'm aware they're perfect candidates), is due to lack of disease resistance in my area.

This is the very front of the house, so in a spot where everyone driving past can view it. Hence not wanting naked canes :)

So disease resistant would be wonderful!!!

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    6 years ago

Gillian,

Quietness first choice. Quietness last choice.

Moses

• Related Discussions

New canes galore after darkness/abuse

Q

Comments (3)
    I'm pretty sure it was the cutting back. I used to grow Sombreuil on a large arbor. It would throw out three or four thorny canes from the base, maybe five. The canes are very rigid and hard to train, and worried that I might break one off and lose a significant part of the plant's mass. One year we decided to put a new coat of wood preservative on the arbor. Given how thorny it is, the only way to cope with it was to cut it down hard, to a couple of feet from the ground. Like you, I was concerned. Within a month or two, there were at least two dozen robust canes coming up from the base. I have read that not all roses will do this, but apparently many will. Rosefolly
    ...See More

Huge rose needed, zone 5 cane hardy, grows to 6x6 or more

Q

Comments (23)
    Yes, it's the same rose. The year I bought my two I think it was listed as 2.5 feet or something odd. HMF says 3-6 feet, but used to say only 3, I think. But funniest is HMF says Ascot grows up to 18 inches wide--mine is about 7 feet. It's a good thing I just happened to plant the one in the photo in a place with lots of room, but I have had to remove a lavender, dianthus, and will remove another big lavender this spring to make way. It's currently duking it out with a huge snowball bush. Who will win? Diane Ascot in 2013--see how far away the snowball is? The rose is touching it now. The lavender on the right is gone and other will soon be gone; it's being crushed.
    ...See More

What do you do when your rose puts out HUGE canes?

Q

Comments (12)
    haha - love the "awkward adolescence" analogy! I think I'll leave them and wait for the rest of the plant to catch up. It definitely looks a bit strange, but more than anything I'm happy the roses are taking off like this - they apparently didn't get the memo on "1st year sleep, 2nd year creep, 3rd year leap" since they seem to have skipped straight to year 3. :) Hopefully by next year the bushes will look a bit more uniform! I would be thrilled if Sunshine Daydream ends up being a 6-foot rose - it's the one that started my obsession with roses (those perfect creamy yellow blooms, sigh). And at the rate it's going, Lady of Shalott is going to be a 10-footer at my house! :) Thanks everyone for the great comments!
    ...See More

Climbers that are not cane hardy for zones 6 & colder

Q

Comments (30)
    Thanks vaporvac! JL like most climbers has a heavy flush of blooms in June, and sporadic thereafter. It can get pretty tall with beautiful pink flowers. I've had mine for at least 15 years. There's another climber that blooms for a long time in my garden and it's Super Excelsa. It starts blooming later in the season, but it continues blooming right up until frost. One thing to warn you though is that it's a thorny monster! LOL. Pic #1, Jeanne Lajoie; Pic #2, Super Excelsa.
    ...See More
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

Florentina! Moses, I hope my Quietness improves with age. It's BS city which I wasn't expecting.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh Moses, I wish I could have Quietness! It's been on my "must have" list for 3 years. I cannot find a source that will ship to Canada for this rose :( neither Hortico or Palatine carry it, although I keep hoping. It will always be on the list through, it's one beautiful rose (or at least the pictures tell me so!)

Vaporvac, I've never heard of that one!!! Ooh exciting! I'll go search it right away! It's cane hardy?!

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    6 years ago

I'm interested to see what some of the responses here are. My garden is a bit too young to give a lot of cane hardy suggestions. But so far the most cane hardy roses I have are:

Winchester cathedral was completely cane hardy for me last year. The reason I was most surprised by this is it is only in it's 2nd season here. It is planted in my front yard and get's nor'easter winds all winter. I live at the end of a cul de sac and it is constantly windy here. I did almost no spring pruning on it. It's in a very good full sun spot and I see very little disease on it too.

The other one is Oscar Peterson

Another white. It is very hardy. Showing great disease resistance. Hardy to the tips. Shows great vigor. 2nd year 3.5 feet tall and has 3 new basal breaks.

I'm hoping that with a bit of maturity some of my other 50+ roses will be a bit more cane hardy. But this season is also showing me which roses are the weakest for black spot too!

Gillian (zone 5b/6a) Ontario, Canada thanked HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
  • mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    6 years ago

How big? R. hugonis is described as 6 x 12 ft, which is about the size mine is. R. moyesii 'Geranium' is about 12 x 6 ft. Therese Bugnet is an old favorite that is more of a rose sized plant. TB would probably be my top recommendation unless you go want something gigantic since the red canes are ornamental during the winter.

Gillian (zone 5b/6a) Ontario, Canada thanked mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
  • Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Gillian,

Sorry about Quietness!

Can you get Cape Diamond? You plant it and forget it. It arches like a forsythia, easily getting 2 meters tall, and 2.75 meters wide. It can be kept smaller with pruning, but it wants to arch. It needs room.

Summer Romance gets big. It has a lot going for it. Rough and tough. Shrub type, fragrant blooms.

Give Pink Enchantment a look. It has big Hy. Tea blooms on a husky bush.

These last two Kordes roses are ADR trial winners, just about bullet proof. Black spot fighters and winter hardiness are their strong suit.

Moses

Gillian (zone 5b/6a) Ontario, Canada thanked Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

I bought Quietness this spring from Hortico! Check there, it's in Canada and near you! :-)

Gillian (zone 5b/6a) Ontario, Canada thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • ebharvey1
    6 years ago

Chamblees carries it and ships to Canada.

Gillian (zone 5b/6a) Ontario, Canada thanked ebharvey1
  • AquaEyes 7a NJ
    6 years ago

Have you looked at any of the old Albas?

:-)

~Christopher

Gillian (zone 5b/6a) Ontario, Canada thanked AquaEyes 7a NJ
  • Kes Z 7a E Tn
    6 years ago

It's been awhile, but my experience with windy sites is that plants need to be cold tolernt for a zone or two lower than the general area where you live- like maybe z 4 for you. What about a rugosa? Many are once bloomers but not all of them. I had Blanc Double de Coubert years ago. It was a bad fit for the place that I had it but might be ideal for you. It's fragrant, disease resistant, hardy and somewhat shade tolerant, if that's important. It does tend to travel but mine was grafted so I don't know how big a problem this is. It would look beautiful with the other plants that you mention. Many rugosas have beautiful hips and fall color to make them 4 season shrubs. Even if this one isn't your cup of tea, there may be others that are a better fit.

Gillian (zone 5b/6a) Ontario, Canada thanked Kes Z 7a E Tn
  • Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    6 years ago

Can't promise cane hardiness, Party Hardy gets big and will be fine out in the open. New for me last year and impressing me - Portland From Glendora. Pretty foliage, nice shrubby habit, good bloomer.

This is earlier this spring, bigger now. I think was a band last year.

• rosesmi5a
    6 years ago

If a semi-double white would work, Darlow's Enigma is rock hardy here in central MI, and usually 3-4 feet of cane survive the winter with no protection. Fragrant, blooms all summer, disease free. Not a good cut flower, but a great shrub, and it would look nice with the Annabelle and clematis.

Sunny

Gillian (zone 5b/6a) Ontario, Canada thanked rosesmi5a
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago

Flamenco Rosita will be a superstar in that area!! It never quits blooming . And I mean full bush blooms not just a few here and there. Fragrant . Disease resistant. Unstoppable. You will love it!

Gillian (zone 5b/6a) Ontario, Canada thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    6 years ago

Gillian - I've grown most of the roses recommended here in my zone 5 yard and I'll chime in first about them then some additional ideas from my own experience. The trickiest thing about your site is the part sun. In the north, 4-5 hours of sun only supports a small variety of roses whereas 4-5 hours in the Southeast or California would grow just about anything. In your site, you're looking probably at either a hybrid musk-type rose or a rose that has dramatically less blooming and/or height than it would in a sunnier spot. Some of the shrubs in my experience could probably handle this as well, but not most HTs and floribundas this far north.

Among the suggestions so far, the best suited for that part sun site would be Darlow's Enigma as far as my experience goes. I'll post a picture a little later below that shows him. He's made to stand upright, is at least 6-7' tall, bullet proof in disease, totally cane hardy to the tips (except maybe little twiggy ends), and a "plant and forget" rose. He's not a typically showy specimen rose, but provides a nice wall of tiny white flowers that would complement your other plantings well. I have mine behind a hydrangea and they work quite well together in almost total shade.

I presume that the once bloomers like albas that Christopher mentions or the species roses MadGallica mentions would also do well in part sun conditions, but do be aware that they would be green bushes after they finish their bloom cycles. Felicite Parmentier and Ispahan are supposed to be among the longer blooming varieties, and several of the Barden gallicas don't sucker or spread much and would be a nice freestanding bush if pruned accordingly (including the lovely Marianne and Song of the Stars).

Florentina and other climbers like Lady Ashe would be nicely cane hardy for you, but they'd have shorter bloom cycles in part shade. My Lady Ashe isn't in a particularly sunny spot and it has some long rests between flushes of bloom. Both of these roses would I think need an obelisk or something to climb on, since they don't seem to build the cane structure to hold themselves up free standing. Some of the newer Kordes climbers like Honeymoon or even Quicksilver might be worth a try on an obelisk, and they should be quite disease resistant as well as hardy.

Rugosas in my experience really need the sun, and I've been surprisingly disappointed with my Therese Bugnet who's supposed to be among the best. Mine is 6 years old and HUGE, draping every which way over a shepherd's hook in prime sun, yet she barely has one bloom cycle in early spring for about a week and a half. Not profuse bloom either, unfortunately. I keep not trimming her back and faithfully pegging down her canes expecting her to do SOMETHING the rest of the year, but she's just a big green blob except a short time in May. My best reblooming rugosa is Linda Campbell, who's s bright true red and reblooms on a more or less regular basis after 5-6 weeks rest all summer. She's fine as a freestanding bush.

Several of the roses others have listed are cane hardy in my zone 5 but rather shorter for me than I'm picturing in your site. I would think most hydrangeas would be larger for me than Party Hardy, Portland from Glendora, Flamenco Rosita, Winchester Cathedral or Quietness. Quietness may indeed get larger with more sun, since mine is in a part shade zone 4 pocket, but it's no more than 3-4 feet and sparse after about 6 years in that spot. Earth Song is bigger (4-5 feet) and blooms more regularly in more sun for me, but it might also be much smaller and sparser in your site. Portland from Glendora is supposed to get big, but in her third year she's no more than knee high and I don't find her to be particularly cane hardy. I don't know Cape Diamond but it sounds quite nice.

I also don't have Oscar Peterson, but I thought that one was a Canadian? Still, if it grows well for Halloblondie in your region it's a good thought. I grow most of my Canadians in part shade and they're huge and for me disease free - John Cabot, Alexander Mackenzie, JP Connell, and John Franklin are all easy and totally hardy in my zone 4 pocket.

Many Austins get big for me so Winchester Cathedral might get bigger with time as mine's young, but if you have disease pressure many Austins are susceptible to blackspot. The tallest and most disease resistant for me have been Scepter'd Isle (light pink, 6'), Teasing Georgia (bushy sprawl averaging around 6-7') and The Alnwick Rose (4-5' pink).

The Kordes HTs are the best bet if you have your heart set on the big traditional blooms and they'd be hardy and some of them are tall at 4-5'. In part shade, they might not bloom as often though so keep that in mind. Summer Romance and Pink Enchantment have both survived quite well for me in not great sun, but by far the best blooming tall Kordes HTs so far for me have been Wedding Bells, Beverly and Dark Desire. None of them have great sun, but they probably get 6 hours - 4-5 hours might decline the bloom or growth.

This response is already way too long so I'll start again with pictures of what I'd suggest in your spot, FWIW.

Cynthia

Gillian (zone 5b/6a) Ontario, Canada thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    6 years ago

What a great reply, Cynthia! I'm bookmarking it. It totally jives with my experience this past year! Your 1st pic is an all time favourite. I wish I had seen it before I ordered all my HMs.

Gillian, could you clarify your sun exposure again. I'm understanding that this rose would receive 9.5 total hrs. of sun with shade between 11am and 3:30pm only, and it will sit NEXT TO an area that has shade all afternoon. This adjacent area will receive only 4-5 hrs sun and the Hydrangeas, etc. will be sited there. Is this correct? Is the shade in question from deciduous trees or evergreens?

P.S. Is anyone growing Navy Lady in Z5. I've seen it in the Z5 Columbus Park of Roses and loved it, but never hear anyone mention it.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi everyone! Sorry for the late response, storm knocked out the power, so we had 24hrs in or around with no electricity :)

I'll try to answer everyone, I apologise if I miss someone, and will go over it again after I post this.

HalloBlondie, thank you! I'll keep both of those in mind when I start this area, I think I might need something a little bigger...but I love your WC and if I can find some place to fit it in, I'm going to :) mine are mostly babies too, and I'm with you on blue moon, it will be shoveled soon. Poor thing.

Mad_gallica, I'm looking in the size range of 6ft x 4ft, hopefully nothing to sprawling as I don't want it escaping the confines of the yard and being snipped by road crews. Therese Bugnet was the first on my list, there's one in town a short distance away, outside of a business that used to be a home. It's about 12 ft by 12ft, one day I'll get a picture of it on here

Moses, I passed up Cape this spring :( I'd never heard of it, and was suspiciously mixed in with tender roses like White Licorice. Summer romance I've heard of, but I think it stays small here. The only one I've seen in the area was 2x3 ...but it's on the list for the main gardens! Pink enchantment I haven't heard of, I'll look it up after posting, thank you!

Summersrhythm, wonderful! Thank you! Ill keep checking, hopefully it will be there this fall! :)

Ebharvey, thank you! I didn't know they shipped to Canada, I'll take a better look at their site this evening

Christopher, I did have Alba Semi Plena (spelling?) On the list :) I'm just starting to learn about Alba's, Damask, Bourbons etc. So I'm a little cautious. I tentively have Belle Sans Flatterie, Alchemist, Jaques Cartier and Mme. Plantier on my list for fall. I'm more worried about killing them than HTs :)

Ken, Blanc double de Coubert is lovely! My garden center had them this year, I passed on it as it was very, very small and hadn't really leafed out. Hopefully next year they will have more, and ones that look healthy to boot!

Dingo, I haven't heard of Party Hardy either! Thank you, I'll look this one up shortly :)

Rosesmi, Darlows Enigma is beautiful. I hope I can find a source that ships to Canada for that one! I checked Heirlooms, but they don't :(

Lilyfinch, all these new.roses to look at! I haven't heard of Flamenco Rosita either! Thank you! I'll look it up soon :)

Cynthia!!! Oh my goodness thank you for all the suggestions! The area next to where I'd like to plant, the backdrop so to speak, gets 4-5hrs at the most and not at the back. The area I want to plant a single rose bush in receives sun from 6am-11am and 3:30am until sunset (about 8:30pm) so I believe the rose spot with receive 9 1/2 hrs of sun in total. It's in front of a wooded area, and the very end of my lot (which is why I said free standing, a support if any kind, would most likely get stolen unfortunately).

I love all of your suggestions (from everyone!) And I'm hard pressed to choose now. I was very concerned about die back in this spot, and it's good to know there are far more options then I originally considered. I'm going to have to post this and re-read your comments over so I can answer better, but I love them all!!!

Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok, I think I've got all this!

Cynthia, first, thank you so much for your information on how the roses suggested by others do in your zone 5, that is incredibly helpful in narrowing things down

I'm not set on a classic rose bloom form, although I did initially consider Lady Ashe for this spot, but one concern is that passerby's will rip the blooms off (it's happened before, and I'm ready to hang out pruners or leave some in a bucket so they stop be heading my roses before their time).

Specter D'Isle might be a good choice, if I move it inwards just slightly, I can cut the sun exposure down to 7hrs. The Austin's I've seen here do better with some shade during our very hot summers.

I do love the Explorers, although so far they're once bloomers for me. They get horrible blackspot here (John Cabot, William Baffin & John Davis) John Cabot bloomed for the first time this year, in his third season. Not all at once, but in small bursts. It was so beautiful. It's sad to see him defoliated now. I might have to actually consider spraying to keep him going.

Therese Bugnet was on my list as I said, there is a huge one in town, it's about 20years old and repeats every 3 weeks, so hopefully yours will pull her socks up and start reblooming! I'll try to get a picture of her this week :)

I'm not sure what I'm missing, but I'll move on to your recommendations :)

Darlows Enigma is lovely, and I would plant it anywhere I could. I'm not sure where I could find one...or who has it that ships to Canada? I'm new to ordering roses (and roses in general), I just received my first order of bareroots this spring from Palatine. The only places as far as I knew I could order from were Palatine, Hortico & Cornhill Nurseries.

Felix Leclerc is also wonderful, one I tried to seek out for my new arbour this year. I actually bought one, and it turned out to be Campfire. I think he might be too floppy? Cascading? For this spot without support too. As I said I can't put anything in there, it wouldn't be there in a day or two :)

Heaven on Earth is another new one to me, it has exquisite blooms, I'll have to research it, as well as Sunrise sunset, Sweet Fragrance & Super Hero! They are all beautiful, and even if Sunrise Sunset needs support, maybe I can squeeze her into the main gardens somewhere. Maybe I'll move things. Heck, maybe I'll buy some extra land just to plant it! I think I love this one.

I've had one Lim rose, Rainbow Sorbet. It was one of my favorites, sadly in my inexperience I planted it with the graft 3in above ground. Same as it came in the container. I haven't been able to find one since. I will definitely check out the roses by Lim you named.

Hope for humanity was at my garden center this year, but was listed as getting 3x3 so I passed it by :( it could be a good one for this spot as well.

Tomorrow morning, I'll take a picture of the site in question so everyone can get a better idea of what it looks like

So far there are so many to choose from! Maybe if you see the spot it will narrow it down.

As a side note, there is a path that cuts directly in front of the area, my little ones use it as a path to walk up the road to the bus. They are rose wise though, and avoid thorns. But perhaps someone who isn't paticularily grabby might be wise. (No New Dawn for instance lol). Didn't think of it before as it's Summer, and there's been no one using that path for about a month and a half now.

A picture will be posted in the morning, I'll try to use an app to highlight areas (such as the spot that gets 4-5hrs vs the spot for the rose)

Vaporvac, the site is definitely 9.5hrs and next to the 4-5hr site, the trees are deciduous, the 4-5hr spot is also backed by the tree line ...will show you in the morning :)

Thank you again Cynthia! You are fantastic!

And thank you all, I hope the picture will help you visualize the best rose for this spot, since you already know the conditions :)

*Edited for a spelling error, there may be more, but forgive me since it's nearly 11pm my time :)

Original Author
    6 years ago

Morning everyone :)

Here are two photos of the area, one marked and one unmarked

I couldn't fit the whole space in the photo, it goes about 15ft to the left

The blue marked area, and farther to the left receives 4-5hrs and where the sapling is, marked in red gets full sun.

The whole area will be cleared out in about a month, the sapling will be removed, and lower over hanging branches removed.

There is a path somewhere in that mess, but you can't see it from this view :)

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    6 years ago

OK, OK, I know I'm in zone 7, but the following roses have never experienced any cane loss here, even in the extra cold winters we sometimes get. I think we should be still listed as zone 6, frankly. Cynthia really covered all the bases so beautifully, there's not much to add here.

Each of these roses gets huge. Golden Celebration takes the longest to hit its size stride, but they vary in size from the smallest, PAoK about 6X6 feet, to about 10X8 feet.

Ascot is about 10X8 feet this time of year. My smaller Ascot is kept shorter, by pruning hard, because it's located in a crowded space in the front yard. Ascot is a good bloomer and is not affected by the heat as much as some roses.

Golden Celebration

Brother Cadfael

Princess Alexandra of Kent

Gillian (zone 5b/6a) Ontario, Canada thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

Beautiful indeed!!

6 years ago

Ah good, Diane. I didn't mention Ascot since I was hoping you'd show your lovely pictures of that one. Mine only dreams of being as lush a bloomer as Diane's sadly. He's tall - around 5' but only about two feet wide. He grows like a lot of tall HTs in a column without a lot of branching out. Both Brother Cadfael and Golden Celebration have been surprisingly not very hardy for me, given that most Austins do fantastic here. PaoK is finally established and my jaw drops at your exquisite picture. In my usual "wisdom" I've believed that she's a short growing Austin and she's toward the front of the bed. I've given her a stern talking to and told her she's allowed to grow OUT but not very up, and to please bush out sideways. I don't dare encourage her to be as lovely as your bush since I fear I'd discourage the poor thing. The only down side to having such roses by a pathway is the fear that everyone else would strip the blooms before you get a chance to enjoy them.

Gillian, showing your site helps immensely and you're right that you need a sprawling monster here that doesn't tempt passers by to snag roses. Darlow's Enigma would indeed be a good fit, but so far the Canadian sources you list don't sell her. You might check with Burlington, Northland, High Country Gardens, and Angel Gardens among other US sources that sell this one to see if they ship to Canada. You're also right that Sunrise Sunset would love all this sun and space and would happily drape itself over any remaining scrub in the background. Don't let the little plant in its first couple of years fool you - this one wants to conquer the world.

Thinking of world domination, Quadra immediately comes to mind. I hunted back in my photos for when I had him growing as a free standing bush and I found one as part of a scene. He isn't as big as he would have eventually gotten in a free standing spot, but he absolutely has the cane structure to hold himself steady. I know you've said the Canadians blackspot for you, but I've found he's much better at avoiding this than Alex McKenzie or John Cabot who do get some spotty leaves and bare canes at times. He'd happily take over the real estate you show, just don't grow him free standing as I did and then expect to put support over him after the fact (three solid hours and massive blood loss just to wrestle him into an arch). Here he is at the left of the photo - ignore the unpruned yews and hose as this was a drought year and I couldn't face anything but keeping up with watering (this was the only bed that even had leaves or blooms to speak of). Notice also that the apricot rose at right is Sweet Fragrance, among the only other rose to bloom in drought and neglect.

Among Austins, Scepter'd Isle has tall growth but it isn't as tempting to cut as the lovely flowers Diane shows. They're more loose and open and I've never tried to bring them in the house. My SI is about 5' and prefers to grow with a wire cage around the base so he's tall and narrow - the canes are pretty floppy as you can see from the uncaged second photo below.

Here he is caged and looking fairly civilized:

Here he is weakly defending himself from an attack by the clematis Princess Diana (and totally wimping out in the process, laying all 5 feet on the ground in defeat):

Vaporvac is right that AC Navy Lady would be terrific in this spot. I love this rose and he's at least in my top 25 because of the incredibly dark red blooms that make my heart go pitter patter. Initially, I'd had reports that he was short so I put him in my mailbox bed to stay below 3'. Well, he's small like Sunrise Sunset is small, and he quickly decided on being a huge fish in his small world. I kept having to tuck his LONGGG canes back and peg them down to keep them from eating small children on the sidewalk, but even with that he got above 4' and had to leave so we could see out our driveway. He's one of about 5 roses that I've had to move and he's now happily stretching out toward a fence that needs a little exuberant domination.

Here's a shot that shows AC Navy Lady in the lower part of the bush with the dark color he can get, including the faded blooms and absolutely clean foliage:

Here's an attempt to capture the spread of the bush, realizing that I had been faithfully pruning or pegging him to keep him below 3' (not gonna happen, friends):

For world domination, albas, gallicas and other once-bloomers are made for that purpose in our zones. I don't have a lot of these photos, but Felicite Parmentier and Ispahan are reported to be among the longer bloomers in this category.

I think any of the other roses I showed would also be happy in full sun, it's just that they tolerate shade. The paler roses like Teasing Georgia or Heaven on Earth would be mostly white in sun, but AC Navy Lady is this dark even in blazing hot sun. Seeing him against Darlow's Engima or a light colored hydrangea in this spot makes a lovely mind picture to me. Lots of options and I think Palatine sells Navy Lady. Totally cane hardy too, by the way - a great rose for cold climates.

Cynthia

Gillian (zone 5b/6a) Ontario, Canada thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    6 years ago

Oh Cynthia!!! Your pics of Navy Lady really capture her colour. I have a couple from the CPoR, but none capture her true colour. I's true she looks just like that in the strongest sun and in temps in the 80s she even has fragrance. she got my 2 star rating which is my highest and generally only goes to outstanding roses with fragrance. hers is light, but between the colour, vigor health and bloom form, I can let go of a bit of fragrance. She was was well over 4' at the Park, heading up to 5'. I laughed when I read the HMF listing her as short! I agree, she'd be outstanding next to DE; the growth habits would make a lovely contrast. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with a "secret" rose love.This is one rose DH would like to see me grow & he also ranks fragrance as the top priority.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh my goodness!!!! Thank you Nanadoll & Cynthia! Your photos are breath taking!

Now I have no idea what I'll choose lol!

I do have Ascot, I actually ordered it last fall, because of your photos Nanadoll :) I had no idea it would get tall it's first year, most of my roses are pokey...but Ascot is bigger as a first year bareroot than my 3yr old John Cabot! It started off quite normal growing wise, but it's already 5ft tall and not showing signs of stopping.

So I think we're tossing coins between AC Navy Lady & Brother Cadfael at the moment. I love the thought of the dark AC in front of all the hydrangeas & hostas, but my husband feels the same about Brother Cadfael...I may have to buy both, and Quadra! I don't suppose Brother Cadfael would handle 6hrs of sun in stride? Im not sure he's one of the "shade tolerant" DA's. Hubby is trying to redo everything and squeeze him in somewhere lol.

I've paused writing to go over our plans...

Farther to the left than my picture shows, there's a spot that gets 6hrs of sun, maybe, we could put AC Navy Lady, in the full sun spot, and Brother Cadfael as her opposite at the other end, with Darlows Enigma in amongst the hydrangeas and hostas and clematis. Do you suppose this would work? Or will he need more sun?

If it wasn't the old lilac and oak shading that area, id cut them down to have more sun. But, they're beautiful...far too old for me to have the audacity to remove them.

I have Scepter d'Isle, PAoK & Quadra on the list now as well! And I was already up to 30 bareroots last time I went over the list! I suppose 33 (+Darlows Enigma & Brother Cadfael, if you think they'd be ok in these spots) isn't too bad :)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 years ago

I got Navy Lady from High Country Roses and she is doing great here too. Great color and foliage. New plant, but a fast grower, and I'm thrilled with her too.

6 years ago

I didn't find it mentioned above, so I thought I'd mention James Galway. It's listed for Z5 in Peter Schneider's book, "Right Rose, Right Place", and I saw a beautiful specimen of it at his Z5 house. It was very impressive. He also grew the equally huge and hardy Princess Alexandra of Luxembourg and Florentina, as mentioned prior. I'll see if I took any pics of JG, but here's a link to pics of the other two: Florentina Frenzy!!!!

Gillian (zone 5b/6a) Ontario, Canada thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sheila, I'm so glad AC Navy Lady is doing well for you as too! It's top of my list at the moment, but hubby is arguing for Brother Cadfael lol, so we'll see what happens

Vaporvac, I looked up James Galway, and it's beautiful! I'm also really impressed with Florentina! I've never heard of Princess Alexandra of Luxembourg and will look it up right away! Thank you Vaporvac :) ...I've no idea what well choose yet, I tried to put it to a vote, but my little ones said to buy them all, wait til they bloom and see what we like best! Then plant the rest wherever we can fit them....not a helpful bunch my kids, bless them :)

6 years ago

It sounds like your kids have caught the bug too! That' typical rose rationalization!! : )

There are a few recent posts on those I mentioned here, so be sure to do a GW search, as well.

Sheila, you've been holding out on NL also! Someday I'll find the perfect place for one (or two... or three).

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    6 years ago

Beautiful pictures above. I didn't want to add in roses that were new for me this year or last year because I can't recommend winter hardiness reliably. But I have to say in black spot city here, my austins are showing no disease other than a few speckles on bottom leaves here and there. Whereas, many of my floribundas, grandifloras & hybrid teas are showing bs on 50% of my leaves. The austins I have purchased where rated for zone 4 & 5 other than molineaux. But molineaux is own root. Sceptre'd isle is looking promising and blooms consistently. I'm really loving every austin I have planted - total of 19. They are all vigorous growers and bloomers. Except abraham darby - which I've mentioned in other posts as being odd & not blooming. I'm convinced it's just the individual plant & it's graft. It has grown to be a monster plant - 6-7 foot canes first season, no flowers except 3 blooms this spring on one little stem. That's for a whole other post. May try replacing it in the spring.

As for ac navy lady - I don't have it, but I have seen it multiple times at the local canadian tire each year. Just as an fyi. I may have to add that one to my list, passed on it not knowing the potential of it.

I planted canadian shield this spring. It is showing to be a vigorous shrub. Too new to see overall size it can be yet. But it's rated hardy to zone 3. Has shown fairly good disease resistant. Nice red colour - but the individual bloom form doesn't compare to an austin or a hybrid tea. Hoping it improves with time.

It looks like you have a good size area to work with, enjoy & good luck.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Vaporvac & HalloBlondie

Sorry for the late response, my littlest threw my phone in the lake to see if it would "fwoat" ... apparently, it didn't.

Vaporvac, they sure do have the rose bug! They've each picked out their own rose to order for spring, and they're as excited about it as Christmas! :)

HalloBlondie, I'm so glad your Austin's are doing well! There's about 17 I'm eyeballing for planting next spring. It's blackspot city here too as well, I think I've got 3 completely defoliated now.

We spent the past couple of days going over sketches and plans for this area, we removed 3 trees on the corner to open it up a bit more and can now fit 3 roses in there (for full sun) :)

We've picked - AC Navy Lady, Brother Cadfael & Sunrise Sunset.

If there's any room left, it will be given to Alexander Mackenzie, on the front left corner, not shown in my picture.

I'm not sure how they'll all look together, but they won't be too close. Finger crossed it turns out well

Hopefully, I'll have some nice pictures to share in July 2018!

• bella rosa
    6 years ago

Loving everyone's roses. So many beautiful varieties. I've never heard of Sunrise Sunset. Does anyone know where I can get one? Oh, and Navy Lady is gorgeous! That's another one on my birthday list.

6 years ago

I got my Sunrise Sunset at Lowe's and mine is particularly regular about stocking Easy Elegance roses (and very few other roses, unfortunately). I don't think the EE roses are available many places mail order, but a lot of garden centers locally are starting to stock them. AC Navy Lady is available from High Country Roses.

Cynthia