SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
braverichard

Climbers that are not cane hardy for zones 6 & colder

Three winters ago we had a typical winter, dry, lowest temp was -8F. Two winters ago it was dry as well (record dry actually, many boxwoods around here lost leaves from desiccation) but temps were not bad with the lowest recorded temperature at about 5F, it really felt more like a zone 7 winter as many plants like cannas, gladiolus, etc that were left in the ground survived very well, crape myrtle canes even survived in many cases. Last winter was a typical zone 6a winter, we had some 1-2 week long stretches below freezing and lowest temp for the season was -4F.

These climbers have survived all 3 winters for me but never with any canes left above the mulch line:
-Golden Showers
-Garden Sun
-Gold Badge
-Don Juan

This climber just went through its first winter in my yard and also had no surviving cane above the mulch line:
-Tropical Lightning

This one died two winters ago, I purchased another one last fall, it survived this last winter but died all the way to the mulch line:
-Top of the World

My climate is very prone to massive temperature swings, like 8F at night, then up to 60F during the day, then down to 25F at night. I wonder if that killed the canes more than actual cold? And if so, how come my very hardy climbers, the Explorers and even shrubs like Knock Outs are hardy to the tips with zero cane damage?

Anymore to add to the list of "no gos" from your experiences?

Comments (30)