SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vickysgarden

Evaluation of my new roses planted 2017 in zone 5 Chicagoland

vickysgarden
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I was thinking about the new roses I added this year, and although it is very early to tell how they will do in the long run, thought it might be helpful to others in my zone 5 to give a preliminary report on how they are doing. I do not spray my roses for disease other than Safers Insect Soap in the spring to control sawfly larvae. I hand-pick for Japanese beetles (a losing battle but it helps or at least helps me feel better!)_

1. Ancient Mariner--purchased bareroot from Wayside Gardens--is already a nice sized bush. Foliage looks good, only 1-2 leaves show blackspot, it is not currently blooming. Bloomed in spring with a few beautifully formed roses.

1. The Pilgrim--purchased bareroot from Wayside Gardens--this is my second one of these, and I really love its color and form, but my first one is on its second year and no blooms at all! I think it is the location it is in, less than ideal. It has bloomed a couple of times so may be stingy but the blooms are SO gorgeous....perfectly formed, fragrant, and the yellow is so pure and when the sunlight shines through those fragile-looking petals, its stinginess is forgiven!! Really too early to tell what it will develop into.

3. Olivia--purchased bareroot from Wayside Gardens--doing great! This is my 5th Olivia! Olivia is my current FAVORITE David Austin rose. It is remarkable among all the others for its absolutely clean foliage with no blackspot, its quick growth, as well as its beautiful (to be expected with DA) blooms! The Chicago Botanic Gardens has a test garden of 50 David Austin roses planted side by side in the same soil, same sun, to trial them for evaluation, and on Sunday, I observed how superior it was to most of the others.....many were like bare sticks, jutting out in ugly ways, very defoliated (presumably from blackspot), but Olivias had a nicely rounded bushy form with healthy green leaves, and I like that alot!

1. Earth Angel Kordes rose---purchased in container from Meinkes--I like this one alot, too. Those pale pink blooms just capture my heart! The foliage is pretty clean, too. This one has a prime location with lots of sun so it should be thriving, and it is.
  1. Dee-lish--purchased in container from Meinkes---this was an impulse buy because I stopped to sniff it, and that grapefruit scent!!!! Wow!!! I walked by, but I came back and sniffed again, and I was sunk. It came home with me. It has a truly wonderful fragrance.
  1. -White Out purchased in container from Menards for around $15---this is my second one, because, although the blooms are not of particular beauty or note, the foliage is so very clean and stay that way all season, and it blooms ALOT even in part shade. This is one of my top performers and very reliable.

7. Cream Veranda Kordes rose---purchased own root from Amazon--has grown and although still small, blooms quite a bit. Foliage not as clean as I would like. Still very small so time will tell but the blooms are beautiful pale apricot and fits well next to Heaven on Earth. I think it will stay small and thus can be tucked in anywhere.

8. Munstead Wood--purchased in large container from Gethsemane Gardens---this is my 3rd one....need I say more? I really love this rose for its color, perfection of blooms, fragrance. Foliage not so great, but now I have 3 together and as they lose their leaves they look a little more full than just 1 or 2.

9. Father's Love (Rouge Royale)--purchased in container from Pesches--I bought this around Father's Day to celebrate my Dad's gong to heaven this past January. I already have 1, so this is the second. Although very prone to blackspot, the gorgeous blooms, lovely fragrance, the way the blooms last and last and last SO long...this all endear me to this rose.

10Pr incess Charlene de Monaco---purchased in container at Meinkes---I really wanted this rose. Now that I have it, and can compare it to Heaven on Earth (which it greatly resembles), I greatly prefer Heaven on Earth. At least so far, Heaven on Earth blooms much more, the blooms are bigger, and because they nod, are easier to see. Princess Charlene is very upright in its growth and you view the blooms sideways. Yes, they are incredibly beautiful, ruffled and with subtle color variations, and not always the same colors, either. It would be good for cutting and display in a vase, which I haven't done, so I don't know how long the blooms would last indoors. The blooms come mostly singly, not in clusters, and not a lot at one time, at least so far.

11. Kiss Me Kate--purchased from Roses Unlimited--is growing in a container and has put on alot of growth this summer but has not bloomed. It has more than tripled in size in the short time I've had it and I presume is putting down good roots. It has a little blackspot but not too bad.

12. Polar Express--purchased from Roses Unlimited--is also gaining alot of size growing in a container, and has also about tripled in size this summer. It has not bloomed. Very healthy foliage, no blackspot, it does not mind my forgetting to water it and seems to really like the sun (Sunbelt collection may mean it thrives in hot, dry conditions?) Leaves are shiny and very healthy.

Comments (12)