SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lyoshka

Overwintering rose bushes and Blazes in zone 5

lyoshka
14 years ago

HI all! Hoping for some good seasoned advice.

Two words about background: have 3 Blazes and 4 Rose bushes-all supposed to be hardy to zone 5. Last winter, 3 bushes and 2 climbers died-I used leaves and cones to overwinter.

Very eager to have live roses next spring, understandably. So I'm trying to figure out the best way to have them survive.

I have purchased peat moss, burlap, and have 5 cones (have no idea why I waited this long to buy more, the stores seem out)... so, I was thinking of hilling about 12 inches on (new) soil and peat moss around the crown, wrapping the plant (trimmed enough to fit under a cone) with burlap and then putting the cone on with leaves inside.

It seems like a lot of layers, but I"m scared they'll freeze otherwise? Is burlap AND a cone too much? What should I do?

Btw, another question.. my one climber which survived was not trained properly and I now know better and want to correct that next season, so I plan to cut it down to cone size and then train the vines next spring properly on a trellis. I'm not hurting the Blaze by doing so, am I?

Eagerly awaiting your wisdom!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH