SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
idabr

Please help me to identify this bug (photos included)

idabr
6 years ago

I've been finding these dark, small (5 mm) bugs/beetles walking in random places inside my home. My recent finds included one walking on the sofa in the living room. That was five weeks ago and I haven't seen one since. Until today. Now suddenly, I found three in the span of one hour! The first one walked over my monitor screen. I disposed it, and after a while I spotted a second one walking on the nearby wall. And lastly, after yet a little while, I spotted the third one on the ceiling right above my head. I'm starting to think they are coming back to life to haunt me!

Several things have crossed my mind.

1. I just can't believe it's a coincidence all three suddenly appeared today without any specific cause -- I keep my flat very tidy and clutter-free, and haven't spotted a single one of these in 5 weeks. And now three in the span of an hour?

2. Could they actually be after human blood, and that's why they all appeared on areas right in my vicinity?

3. If it's not after human blood, why don't they ever appear in the kitchen where they'd probably find lots to feed on?

I've been googling around for an hour trying to find an image match, but to no avail. The shape and colour of the bug is very peculiar; it has a very tear-drop shaped shell, dark brown on top but with dark orange feet. And it's quite flat.

First I thought it might be a weevil, but regular weevils seem to be both

a) chubbier and

b) this bug doesn't have that thick of a "centre antenna" in front (for the lack of a better word). It does have a centre antenna, but it's certainly not as thick as the weevils have (at least on all the photos I've seen). Unless it could be some specific weevil breed?

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Underside of the beetle:

Top side:

Comments (2)