SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
awayatthebeach

Creative ideas for curtain and radiator situation?

Hi all. Moving to a house with these curtains. It's like an assault-by-beige. I plan on bringing lots of bright colors and plants in. There are two rooms like this, lots of windows.
My first instinct was to ditch the curtains and get floor length ones - until I realized how many of the windows have radiators beneath them and the cost of replacing all those curtains. I'll take them off in the warm months, but this is New England and winter is real.
The house is old and does need substantial curtains in the winter to control heat loss, so I do need functioning curtains across these wide windows. I can't think of a way around the short curtain problem. So: suggestions for living with these heavy things? So far I've come up with:

• Arranging furniture that masks the shortness of the curtains (sofas, tables with plants, etc)
  • Stenciling on some kind of not-overwhelming but energizing design in a similar color
  • Doubling down on the curtain situation and going for a bright contrasting color print
  • Replacing these heavy ones with lighter, brighter, less pleated but also short curtains (or DIYing those)
  • Sewing, with a removable tack stitch or something similar, a band of a bold, pretty fabric in some color that ties my random-craigslist aesthetic together. (Someone may want these left alone. Probably not, but it's a church property, so it's complicated).

Suggestions? Thanks so much, creative people!

Comment