SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jill_peterka37

Design Novice Looking to Refinish 90's Ash Hardwood Floors

Jill Peterka
6 years ago

Hi there!

My husband and I are working on remodeling a portion of our house. I'm sure this happens a lot, but our "small remodel" project has slowly morphed and spewed into newer portions of our house as well, hence my need for advice! Our kitchen was remodeled in 1995 with solid custom hickory cabinets, and an ash hardwood floor. I believe the floor was clear coat sealed (high gloss), no staining involved. Over time, the floor and cabinets have yellowed somewhat (boo). The portion we are looking to remodel extends down the hallway pictured and meets up with the current floor in the kitchen.

I'd like to extend the hardwood floor to replace the brown linoleum down that hallway. Since we'd be patching in additional hardwood, I'd also like to refinish the floors to a somewhat darker shade, to get more of a contrast between the cabinets and floor. And, NOT finish it with high gloss next time around!

My main concern is that I haven't come across this look very much - where the cabinets are lighter wood and the floor is darker. Is this going to look odd? Any stain shades you recommend?

There is no room in the budget to paint the cabinets white (I wish). Also, please ignore the white/red counter tops...working on replacing those at some point soon as well.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Jill

Comments (5)