SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maddybeagle

Best use of 8' wall: tub/shower + remaining space?

maddybeagle
6 years ago

Forumites, am working on decisions about a partial remodel of my main bath, and I need help thinking about how to make the best use of the 8'-long wall that currently houses a too-shallow tub and too-small separate shower stall. I want a soaking tub + shower combo – but how to arrange it along the wall?

Brief background: When I bought my house six years ago, I did a light cosmetic update – painted the bath Chinese Orange, had a new blind and shower curtain made, and replaced the toilet. I had not planned on a remodel soon, but the plumbing for the tub is working on failing catastrophically in a way that will require ripping into the tiled wall it sits in, at which point I would seize the opportunity to replace the tub with one I really want, because six months of the year I regret every day not being able to have a deep, hot soak. I would plan to replace tub and shower, tile on that wall, floor tile, vanity, and medicine cabinet, but keep the exterior window and storage cupboard intact and the toilet where it is, though if moving the toilet would create a brilliant new vision for the room and wouldn't be prohibitive, I could be persuaded.

Some views of the existing bathroom:

Here is a floorplan in which current fixtures are outlined in black and prospective footprints of new tub and vanity are sketched in in green:

What works well in the current setup:

• Lovely newish Toto toilet under window works well and is in an ok location.
  • Storage space in the back corner next to the toilet is the ideal size and position for pretty much everything I need to store that doesn't need to be hung up – towels, supplies, hamper, etc. In the remodel, I just want to have doors put on it.

What doesn't work, besides the too-shallow tub:

• Existing shower stall is far too small and claustrophobic. I've never used it. I store buckets and mops in there.
  • Vanity is bulky and sticks halfway across the doorway. I want to replace it with a shallower model, or maybe a pedestal or console sink.
  • Heat from the little radiator near the door is inadequate. I want to introduce some heat on or near the cold exterior wall of the room where the toilet is.

I would very much like to move the new tub up towards the door end of the room, so the wet wall of the tiny shower stall becomes the wet wall for the tub faucet and shower (and we can put a plumbing access panel in the hall outside), and the wet wall that holds the current tub plumbing goes away altogether. A big rationale for moving everything up this way is that I would really prefer to be able to lounge in the tub without having my face right next to the toilet.

The downside of that plan is it leaves ~2 feet and a bit at the back corner of the room which would be the only space to hang towels and robes etc., would need to be at least partially walled off to contain an alcove tub and shower, and would be challenging to get to – crammed back next to the toilet and too deep and narrow to walk or reach into easily.

Possibilities: embrace the entire 8' length of wall and give the tub an extended tiled deck, a few inches at the shower end and a good 2' at the back end? It might be a nice place for plants, as well as offering a place to sit and use a handshower if I had one that reached that far. If I did that, where would I hang robes and towels and things? My spatial imagination is failing me as I try to envision this. Ideas and inspiration pics would be most welcome!

Comments (6)