SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maddybeagle

Tiles, tubs, and planning at MaddyBeagle's bungalow

maddybeagle
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Dear Forumites,

I've been caught up in a month of craziness at work, but I took the afternoon off today to go tub-and-tile shopping again. I wanted to update you on the state of my thinking about my bathroom remodel and, for my own reference, draw together several dispersed threads where you and the kitchen forum folks have been a huge help.

TILE: After my disappointing conversation with one tile showroom guy and subsequent discussion over in the kitchen forum, I found two sympatico tile places here in the DC area: Architectural Ceramics (great selection; slightly annoying saleswoman I got stuck with) and Country Floors (with a tile saleswoman who GETS me and whom I am in love with, tile-selection-wise). I've ordered some samples from both and many have come in, along with samples direct from Fireclay.

Here are some of the samples I have in hand that I've been carrying around and looking at in various lights, after winnowing out some options that appeal to me less. The square ones are Pratt & Larson and the rectangular ones are Fireclay. I'm really becoming attached to that darker blue, Fireclay's Slate Blue, and I even like it with the two very similar periwinkles. The pistachio green is too....pistachio for me, or something, and the other green looked to die for in the showroom but sort of washes out at home. I think there must exist a green out there that's closer to the pistachio sample in value (lightness) but like the darker sample in hue, i.e. with just a smidge more yellow in it than the pistachio has, without being at all chartreusey.

At Country Floors, I encountered a line by Ken Mason Tile, which I had not previously known about, and was extremely taken with a cornsilk-ish, buttery yellow:

I'm waiting for the sample I ordered of that to come in, but I have the feeling it may end up being the field tile that makes me happy and provides the most versatility for using other colors I love as accents. Funnily enough, I left the showroom thinking, "Hmm, yellow. Whoda thunk I'd have chosen yellow?" And then I pulled up in front of my house. Duh! D'oh! :-) I suppose there'd be nothing wrong with having my bathroom walls match the outside of my house.

I have been looking at images of '20s-'30s bathrooms and am feeling inspired by ones where a deep color tile is used as the baseboard and that continues as a band around the outside edge of the floor, like the way the green is used in this bath:

I'm thinking that might be a nice way to use the glossy slate blue color, which might not be suitable for a whole floor because of gloss and durability issues. I'm also thinking about some combination of slate blue, periwinkle blue, and the right green if I can find it, as decorative accents to mainly yellow-tiled walls.

TUBS: I found an Americh Bow on display! It's even more gorgeous in person than in the pics I'd seen. Thanks to House Vixen and others who recommended that tub. It's really, really comfortable. I sat in the 66" model and I could certainly stretch out and relax in it.

I just need to continue to think about whether the two-sided/apron-ended tub with associated curtain rod issues is the best use of the space. (Previous discussions of the layout of my bathroom are here and here.)

Meanwhile, right next to it on display was the Kohler Devonshire.

How do we feel about the Devonshire? I can't remember why I wasn't considering it before, but it, too, is very comfortable. Even at 60" long, it felt like I was comfortably deep within it and would get a good soak. I actually really liked what felt like a wider, flatter floor for standing on while showering, since this will be a tub-shower combo. I liked the flat edge with inset areas for soap or whatever to drain down into the tub. And I am seriously considering the merits of using a drop-in tub with tiled deck extending beyond the tub to make it easier to sit on the edge of the tub for getting in and out, soaking feet, etc. Anyway, the Bow and the Devonshire would both be great options and I'm so happy to have found them both displayed side by side. (At ABKA Showroom in Rockville, for those in the DC area.)

SINK: I think I messaged House Vixen about this but never posted about it. I found the perfect sink. It costs way more than a sink should (it's Italian) but if I'm going with a fairly inexpensive tub...well....here it is:

PLANNING/SEQUENCING: I am rigorously putting aside thoughts of the much more extensive kitchen remodel for the moment, because when the plumbing goes behind the shower wall in my main bathroom, it's going to go catastrophically – so I need to be ready to act with some decisions made on bathroom choices. However, I plan to have an architect friend help me plan for some things that will help and not impede the future kitchen remodel in the course of the bathroom remodel, such as running new plumbing to where the kitchen will need it as long as we have walls and basement ceilings open for the bath plumbing.

That's it for the moment! Will update when that yellow tile sample comes in.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm