SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
defrost49

Garden Visit #2 Danielle's Garden

defrost49
6 years ago

This garden has been on the NH list for Open Days for a few years but this was my first visit. It is a private garden located in Windham NH. If you go to Garden Conservancy you can find other private gardens that will be open to the public this summer. What I liked best about this was I think it has all been designed and planted by the homeowners. My distant photo does not do justice to how well the steep front slope has been handled. Reminds me of Thyme's garden we visited one time after Annie's plant swap although Thyme has more shrubs planted. The backyard is very serene and peaceful and must bring daily joy to the owners. Danielle recommends using bark mulch to keep down weeds. The second best thing was seeing Danielle's sister. It must be great fun for sisters to be such avid gardeners although their styles are different.

Aha! Now I notice in middle photo the barrier soil between garden bed and lawn. My husband and I have had an issue of our weedy lawn invading my garden beds. I knew from visiting Danielle's sister's garden that we needed a barrier so the lawn mower could get all the grass so one of my circular beds was edged with simple paving stones. My kidney shaped bed has been a nightmare however because the inside curve was too sharp for the mower and I hate using the weed wacker and hate nagging my husband to trim the edges. So yesterday, the black plastic edging was finally installed around the bed after making the bed slightly larger and removing the sod. We "backfilled" between the bed and the plastic with very crappy hard pan clay gravel from a garage excavation project. DH was doubtful but I wanted further discouragement for weeds. Seeing Danielle's edging, I think mine is similar. The "dead zone" is going to be covered in bark mulch.

Beyond the border shown in middle photo is a lovely water feature.

Comments (6)