SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
droopdog7

Disconnect box and ac unit

Juan
6 years ago

Having issues with my AC and had a guy over to take a look. Turns out my condenser is not running. Didn't realize it since inside the house the ac appeared to be running, just blowing cold air. Okay, first issue found.

Anyway, the ac guy told me that he would not work on my unit because I do not have a disconnect box AND the I have an older electrical panel (pushmatic). Okay, is this normal? Guy recommended that I change my panel before working on the ac unit. The cost would be over $3000 for new panel. He also mentioned that the panel was humming. I did not notice this when I came home.

So what's going on? Do I need a disconnect box if my electrical panel is right next to the ac condenser? I mean literally within arms reach.

So I called an electrician who I've worked with before. He told me he would not advise I change the panel just for the sake of it. Said he'd install a disconnect box but that was before I realized the panel and ac were so close to each other.

So I guess my main question is, what should I do here? Call another hvac guy who may or may not work on my ac unit? Call an electrician to confirm that my electrical panel is fine and maybe install a disconnect box that will be no close to condenser than panel?

Thanks.

Comments (10)