SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cramol

Need Help Assessing My Lawn Issue

cramol
6 years ago

I was hoping that someone could help me with what I'm seeing in my lawn. Last fall I was forced to do a total lawn replacement due to a chinch bug invasion. I had the sod stripped out and 2-3 inches of topsoil placed, overseeded, and organic top dressing. The result was good and it came up nice and green. Some patchy spots but that was to be expected. It wasn't a beautiful thick carpet due to it being such new grass and running out of the growing season but i assumed it would thicken up this year. When spring came it looked good but didn't really turn into a thick carpet (which i assumed it would be being a total lawn replacement with additional good soil and organic matter as a base). As summer went on I could tell that it had more of a dullish green look to it (brown hints) especially compared to my neighbors. I decided to let the company that put the lawn in do the maintenance on it until it was up an running mostly because I had such trouble with my lawn that led to the insect takeover. Mostly it gave me peace of mind to protect the huge investment i just made. In the span of two days recently I have started to see my lawn die on me. It's been about two weeks since they applied fertilizer and I'm wondering if what they did caused this to happen. I have been in contact with them showing them pictures and his reasoning is that "in new construction they tend to have a lot of rock buried under the yard which would cause the roots to heat up and burn out". He also said they found no signs of disease or insects when they came out to inspect. We had a string of about 3-4 high 80s/low 90s degree days that led to this but as you can see, my immediate neighbors show no signs of this and it problem stops right at my fence line. All of our yards in the neighborhood used the same soil and i can't imagine that I have that many more buried rocks in my yard, especially that it would stop directly at the treated areas. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (64)