SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2manydiversions

Kitchen Reno Cont’d: Ideas/Suggestions/Help Please!

2ManyDiversions
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi all! Please chime in with suggestions even if they seem obvious or basic – I was unaware of disposal air switches, corner drawers, soft close cabinets, drawer organizers, etc., so if you think of anything to add/suggest, it will be appreciated! Photos are helpful as well. I occasionally stumble upon posts with ideas, but if I don’t know what to search for, I may not find/know about it.

Included below: renders of house plans, kitchen layout, side views of kitchen with details. If you need larger images click on my ideabook: Kitchen Renovation Plans. Questions are below…

Recap: 1 cook (me), 1 bottle washer (DH), no kids. Full Reno, ceiling (9 ft.) to floors. I cook a lot, often in large quantity (for others/events – which I hope slows in later life), diverse cuisines, but we rarely entertain in our home. No GC; capable but older DIY’s; hiring pro’s and help where needed. Custom/Semi Custom cabinets TBD. We are remaining in this 20 yr. old home through retirement. Turning unused formal dining room into smaller tv room for DH. Open concept, mid-tone wood flooring in great room, kitchen, tv room.

Our layout is finalized now – designed by the outstanding ‘Kitchen Designer’… Garden Web’s buehl! I’m impressed at how buehl designed the most functional, organized kitchen layout, all the while keeping our needs in mind. We’ll always be grateful to you buehl; you saved us from making serious mistakes, and I’ll never be able to express how much we love the layout! I am most grateful for the patience and kindness shown me by buehl and cpartist as I briefly rebelled against ‘change’. Only a few minimal ‘tweaks’ due to space in the great room.

Original House Plans:

House Plans w/ Revised Layout (only interior altered):

Current Kitchen below (kitchen rotated from house plans above; upper cab’s not shown):

New Layout below (moderate changes to buehl’s layout #4)

All Base Cabinets 27” D; All Upper Cabinets 15” D (exception: Island cabinets 24” D)

Changes to buehl’s layout #4:

1. Moved island over 1” toward range side (will move back if we don’t go with the flush inset sub zero)
  2. Reduced island size by 9” (to smaller Layout #1 size so it will give us space in Great Room to walk past furniture. Moved it toward Cleanup sink 1” (meaning we won’t be able to open the drawers at the end of the island the last 1” while unloading dishwasher – DH and I agree, we’d rather that then cut another 1” off island).
  3. Enlarged pantry to 26” deep so will be even with brick to be installed/antiqued.

Prep Zones below:

Most likely will use the Secondary prep zone almost as much as the Primary in the island to the right of the sink.

buehl thoughtfully moved the coffee bar to the tv room (DH roasts, grinds, makes all coffee). No sink at the coffee bar, he’s installing a water filtration system in the 30” cleanup sink around the corner – we’ll keep jugs of it in the mini fridge at the coffee bar.

Questions:

1. Organization ideas/options!
  2. Placement and number of can lights – (midtone wood flooring, love a well-lit kitchen). If I can find bright pendant lights, will prob go with 3 over island… I have 6 can lights in current kitchen which is 3+ feet narrower, and has light tile flooring.
  3. Location and number of outlets, including island (I know some of you have experience on what works best!) – underneath cabinets or in tile, or combo? Making assumption (for now) code will require at least 2 outlets at island, and I’d need at least 2)

Comments (24)