SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliciafish

Bona Nordicseal on red oak

aliciafish
6 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Anyone used bona nordicseal on red oak? Would love to see pictures and/or hear how turned out and if had any red/pink undertone come through? Thanks!

Comments (357)

• Imma S
    last year
    last modified: last year

For what it's worth we did our red oak floor with 2 coats of Bona Natural (did not use the red out) and we are happy with the result. There is a lot of pink yes but it doesnt both us. Also blended some 25 year old red oak with new oak floors, and while it's not a perfect match, I think no one would be able to tell except professional floor people. Once we put on rugs, furniture, etc, the different is even less noticeable.

• Michelle Brannen
    last year

I think if it wasn’t for our maple cabinets I’d be more ok with the pink - it’s just a different pretty look. But, red out definitely took out most of the pink so it’s a really good product in my opinion if you’re ok with your natural having yellow undertones.

• Related Discussions

Used Bona Nordicseal and Bona Traffic HD.. Need advice please!

Q

Comments (69)
    Here are some evening photos of my white oak select grade hardwood, site installed, with one coat of Bona Natural seal and two coats of Bona Traffic HD Matte. It’s a lot lighter IRL than in the photos. I agonized over what sealer to use (bought different stains, Loba 2k, all sorts of products). This combination seemed to look the closest to the natural wood (which I LOVED). The sealer did make it a tiny bit darker but it’s ok. I also included a photo of my stairs. They are red oak. It was a fortune to replace the stairs so we kept the red oak and used one coat of wheathered oak stain and two coats of Bona HD traffic extra matte (same as on the floors). Two lessons learned: Use a third coat of Bona HD traffic in high-traffic areas (our first floor gets a ton of wear with a dog and three teenagers, a third coat would have added an extra layer of protection against scratches). If you are a sheen person and like gleaming wood floors, do not use matte, use a satin finish. I had satin in my other house and I do miss the shine of a freshly washed wood floor. Although a matte does do a great job of hiding scratches. We installed white oak throughout the house (with the exception of the stairs) and even in the kitchen. I love wood floors in the kitchen - easier on the feet, knees, and not cold like a tile floor.
    ...See More

Has anyone put Nordicseal over a coat of Country White (on red oak)?

Q

Comments (17)
    i know this is an old thread but i was hoping Jenn A. or Sarah might answer. We have the same issue with red oak upstairs and on the stairs and white oak downstairs. Our white oak was damaged and has to be replaced so we were hoping to go with a lighter (non red/non pink) stain on all the floors. We’ve been told by our flooring guy that its impossible to match the red oak and white oak to be close enough in color to look good if we go lighter. We’re thinking we’ll have to replace the white oak with red oak so there will be continuity. How do your floors look between the two floors..is it a jarring difference between the red and white oak or is the difference ok in your opinion? Thank you..losing sleep over this decision…
    ...See More

match red oak banister to white oak floors. Bona Natural Seal?

Q

Comments (5)
    Did you ever have any luck with the banister? i have white oak, red oak, and fir in my house trying to make it all match or complement the look of natural white oak! If you found something that worked can you please share an after photo and the color used? thanks!
    ...See More

Floor stain - need votes

Q

Comments (13)
    so that island stain is a warmer, darker brown, yes? do you want a dark stain next to that dark island? Have you thought about going w/a natural color? to lessen the pink, you could always have the wood bleached. it would help. otherwise, embrace the natural tones. Bona Natural the dark wood piece in the corner is similar in color to your island. these are beautiful red oak floors enlarge this pic. look at the stainr. the walls are a linen color too. Find a refinisher who is trained w/Bona Natural stains. I think the lighter tones would look beautiful throughout your home. this one, 2 part white, 1 part natural finished w/Bona Mega 1 read through this https://www.houzz.com/discussions/4766317/bona-nordicseal-on-red-oak
    ...See More
  • Nilangely Arzon
    last year

Wondering if it would be easier to tone down the yellow after the red out than the pink without. We are having our floors done on January 30 with red out. Any other feedback would be appreciated.

• Michelle Brannen
    last year

I definitely think so. And it’s really not that yellow… I think it’s a really good option. Highly recommend having them sample in your wood first - again we did bona red out/natural seal/had traffic satin

• Michelle Brannen
    last year

I’d say this looks more yellow than it really is but it’s a comparison against our original orangey floors

• Nilangely Arzon
    last year

Thanks so much :)

• PRO
    Jpm Construction Contracting Inc
    last year

So I just installed two coats of Bona Nordic seal as well as a coat of satin polyurethane over 3 1/4 in select and better Red Oak for a customer. This is a gut renovation. Definite pink undertones. To upgrade to white oak was an extra three bucks a square foot, which would’ve cost $8500. I almost wish I did it or at least an alternate finish to get rid of the pink. I’ve used Rubio mono coat in the past. What a fantastic product. The buyer loves it so that’s the most important thing.

• C s
    last year

I did 3 coats of Nordic Seal and it turned out great on my red oak.  I've had so many compliments!  I'm not sure what pink tone everyone is talking about but I love this.

• Jay S
    last year

@oobiyah. Thanks to your very detailed and direct comments I went with red out on 1800's original red oak floors with bona naturals and matte finish!! I LOVE IT! in the picture the first 2 rooms are original and the room in the distance is new white oak with same sealer and finish. no pink undertones on the original red oak.

• oobiyah
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Jay S glad the assessment helped you, your floors look great. I’m a realtor in DC/VA and your home looks like a DC row house, maybe we are neighbors!

• Jay S
    last year

Good eye!

• Montana McKinnon
    last year

Hey everyone, this thread has been very helpful and also a bit worrying. My first reno! lots of learning.

I took some red oak out from a house nearby (BC Canada) and installed it in my new place, didnt quite have enough and ended up matching it from the original manufacturer in Quebec. The new stuff is definitely pinker, although it doesn't bother me much.

I originally wanted to get that muted white look which i am still after but a-lot of talk on here about pinks which is worrying me. some of the photos look fine in my opinion. The only photo i find worrying is @Jpm Construction Contracting Inc 's where a couple boards look straight up yellow, against some pink ones and that would do my head in. @Jpm Construction Contracting Inc do you have any more photos?

Product arrived yesterday and I will begin process tomorrow morning.... or maybe reassess after more reading today :) Now debating if i should order natural seal instead and wait another two weeks. However i am a very impatient person.

-1 treatment of red out

-2 coats nordic seal

3 coats Traffic HD

I had my floor professionally levelled and prepped and its stunning at the moment and ive been tip toeing around the house in bootie covers all week waiting for this stuff to arrive. I love the look of it now and tempted to scrap the red out and just get going. The other thing i am worried about and curious if anyone can comment or advise on is the need to "de-nib" after the red out due to the opening of the grain structure resulting in grain rise. once i wait for the floor to dry and get back to within 1% moisture of baseline and then use a tampico buffing pad (can i use the red pad? or better softer white pad) will i risk putting in scratch marks with that or are those pads too soft to risk scratching? BONA recommends this or else ill have to sand in between seal coats which i want to avoid doing any more of. Thoughts?

All in all so far the total cost for me to do this and having tried to save money by getting some used wood was in vain. I could have had nice stuff installed for a very similar price. But it has been enjoyable and i've learned some valuable lessons. Just hope they turn out nice. Definitely nervous for this last step. Any tips or encouraging words welcome! :D

Some photos below of progress and will update through out the process for reference.

• C s
    last year

It looks more beautiful in person

• C s
    last year

Here is another one.  My husband said we did 2 coats and a seal not 3 coats.  The more coats you do the darker it becomes. It's gorgeous in person. Pictures don't do justice.

• Montana McKinnon
    last year

that does look great! fingers crossed i come out with a nice finished product!

• Home Home
    last year

@C s that looks very nice. after sanding down old floor, 2 coats of nordic seal and 1 coat of mega?

• momodesign
    last year

Also did you do a matte finish?

• Nilangely Arzon
    last year

Here are my samples. The first picture is during the day and the second is with artificial light at night (3000K). The top sample is the red out after application and dried at night. There is no stain on it yet. The others are Bona Grey, white, bottom left is Birch and bottom right is Sand Dune. I’ll update these once I try some stains on the red out portion.

• Montana McKinnon
    last year

So i applied the Red Out, and had some interesting effects (see below photos) . I use products like these at work on ships to make the teak decking "pop" prior to guest arrival so a two part wash is not foreign to me and i am sure i didn't apply it incorrectly.

I have two lots of wood and its definitely reacted differently with the older red oak compared to the new red oak.

On the older red oak it turned the pink boards a nice white, and then the already whiteish boards went a very awful yellowy green colour and then 80% of the darker boards went very very dark.

On the newer red oak floors it worked a charm, eliminating alot of the red pigment and giving a nice effect.

I then spent the next day hand sanding individual boards i was unhappy with in the older red oak area, to get the colour back from before the application. this worked nicely and you can see below photo before and after with the darker boards brought back down. and the yellower/green ones as well.

there were also 4 planks in the reclaimed red oak that after the red out process cracks appeared and the grain split in several parts and lifted dramatically. most likely there before and then once they were wet it raised them enough to be seen. They had to be cut out with a razor blade and filled again. luckily they were in areas where i wont notice them .

All in all the red out worked very good but on the older wood it had some very strange effects which added a bit more work.

Nordic Seal;

Excellent product but a but tricky to use, due to the pigment you have to really be on your game with moving that wet edge and not letting it stand too long or you get funny patches that look extra cloudy or lines in where the puddle sat. First coat was a horrorshow as i had never used this kind of product before. Had a day of a few small repairs and touch ups. let that sit over night, abraded and then applied the second coat which went much smoother with the practice the day before. the overall look was great. If i did it again i might have stopped with one coat as the red out had done a good job and the boards looked more clear. The second coat almost covered them up too much in my opinion and a little part of me really liked just the one coat.

I gently abraded that second coat again (240)

Traffic HD [satin];

Another great product and was very easy to use. Great self levelling characteristics, went down easy and looks great two coats of that no problems. Debating a third now. Also debating wether i should have gone with the Matt. Have had loads of compliments so far and everyone seems to think they look really nice. Im still on the fence as i think the matt would look really good.

Does anyone know if i abraded and put down a coat of the matt would it look matt or would it be impeded by the two satin coats underneath? Will they react ok?

Let me know your thoughts.

Red Out Application:

PartA down, following over with PartB

Part B drying part

Red Out before and Afters;

Hand Sanding darker or greener boards back.

First coat of Nordic Seal:

Second Coat of Nordic Seal;

Finish Traffic HD Satin (2 coats):

• Michelle Brannen
    last year

We just completed our floors (through a flooring company) and we are so happy with them. Without the red out on the same floor it was very pink. This was one coat red out, bona natural, and hd traffic satin. This picture makes it look a touch more yellow than it really is- it’s a very beautiful light natural color with no pink!

• PRO
    A Little Sprucing
    last year

Thank you for all of this!! Great feedback!!

• Rissa Perkiel
    last year

@C s your floors look great! We did a sample of the bona nordic and it doesn't look pink at all on my floors either. Waiting for them to apply a topcoat on the sample so I can really see.

So you did two coats Bona Nordic and 1 coat of which top coat? Thank you!

• Lynn
    last year

@Michelle Brannen - your floor looks good to me! Is this an existing/refinished floor, or new wood? Some other people seem to see a difference with Red Out on old/new wood, and we would potentially have 17 y/o refinished laced in with new wood to expand the wood floor to additional rooms. Thanks for sharing!

• Michelle Brannen
    last year

Thank you we love them! We had about 20 year old redwood laced with new redwood- we did make sure the variety of redwood was the same as I think that can make a difference according to our flooring place. I would say there was one spot on the new wood that for some reason is a bit more pink but not on the other new wood. Honestly there is so much variation in the wood though it does not bother me at all.

• Molly
    last year

@Michelle Brannen could you clarify? is your floor red oak or redwood?

• Michelle Brannen
    last year

Sorry red oak!

• Heath
    8 months ago

Does anyone have pictures of 3 coats of Bona Nordic on red oak? We just did two coats and they are saying to wait 24 hours but we are seeing pink. It looks great but def pink undertones

• Wendy Coster
    8 months ago

I don’t have a photo Bc I used natural. It had been two years now and what I want to mention is to make sure- regardless of whatever you choose-to have a couple of HD High traffic coats or very good sealer. I already have to have my floors refinished. They scratched very easily and every mark is noticeable.

• Heath
    8 months ago

Thanks! Yes we plan on using two coats of the HD Traffic sealer. Here are the floors so far.

• Heath
    8 months ago

It’s hard to tell in the picture, they are lighter but also pinker in person

• israa18
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

Michelle BrannenYour floors look great.

Do you know how many coats of natural seal and HD Traffic you used?

Also, did you go for a matte or satin finish?

We applied the natural seal on our floors but it looks pinkish. So looking to have them re-do it and apply the redout first. Happy to hear that it did not turn out super yellow.

• Michelle Brannen
    8 months ago

Thank you! two coats natural one coat satin finish. We definitely did not like the samples they did on our floor without the red out - way too pink. and no not too yellow, some yellow but mostly just light and pretty! id recommend testing on your own floor.

• Wendy Coster
    8 months ago

I will try the Red Out the next round as well. Lots of good info. Thank you

• Heath
    8 months ago

Do you know if you can use the red out after two coats of Nordic seal? I’m not sure if that’s possible but if it is I’m not sure if we should do that or another round of Nordic seal

• oobiyah
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

No, Red Out has to be applied after sanding. The sequence is sand, red out, nordic seal, nordic seal, hd traffic, hd traffic.

Nordic seal by itself won’t remove the pink. Even with red out, if you have red oak, your floors will be more peach. Better than pink, and a nice color, but not just like white oak.

• Heath
    8 months ago

Yeah we spoke to the contractor today who said it doesn’t work well on red oak.

• Heath
    8 months ago

Does three coats of Nordic seal make the wood less grainy?

• Andrew Schmidt
    7 months ago

Heath, you likely already tackled this, but a light sand before applying finish (matte or satin) will make it smoother.

• Allison Gould
    7 months ago

We did a test sample of two coats bona nordicseal and are seeing lots of orangey pink. left is bare wood and right is test sample. Would red out fix the super orange or any suggestions?

• Michelle
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

We have red oak floors that we just sanded and restained. I wanted to keep them as natural as possible while trying to cut some of the peach/orange.. and I wanted to stay on the lighter side. The sub who was doing our floors was adamant that Bona Red Out doesn't work.. he said he tried it in a house before mine and that it didn't do anything or make a difference. He seemed pessimistic about anything being able to help the red/pink in the floors. He did a sample of 50% country white stain with 50% neutral and because I didn't want them to feel whitewashed and didn't want to bleach, I felt just trying a slight stain would be my best bet. Then we did the Bona Natural Seal on top of it. My contractor said we didn't need the Bona Traffic that that's just for hotels or something. Here are some pictures before and then I haven't fully seen the floors yet but can only see small parts of them.. they were just finished. They definitely still have a pink hue but they also look pretty. It seems like just a subtle change to their natural state. Like some people I was worried that Bona Nordic would go too pink.. Bona Natural seemed like a safer bet. Not sure if thats true. I think probably what I ended up with is something close to one coat of Bona Nordic since I did a light stain with the Natural. I will post more photos when we can see the floors in full :)

Oh it was also confusing because I tried the Bona Natural, Nordic, and Classic Seals all next to each other as samples and literally could barely tell any difference at all between them.. I basically decided on Natural based on what I read about it so it was kind of a gamble.

Above are the Bona "Natural" on the left, "Classic" in the middle and "Nordic" on the right on top of the 50/50 country white/neutral stain. I couldn't tell much of a difference and my floor guy just shrugged and said "yeah its not going to do anything" :/. Like I said I just went with Natural as a safe bet.

This is how they look now, I haven't been able to see them fully yet. Staying hopeful and positive knowing there aren't a lot of options with this situation anyway! Would love to hear your comments.

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    3 months ago

For red oak, it's best to go as light as possible. Over time the tannins will come through and change the color. You will end up with a peachy floor after a few years. So, going with a Nordic color will prolong the process.

• Michelle
    3 months ago

G & S Floor Service thank you- what do you think about having used a 50% country white stain with Bona Natural Sealer? Do you think this also accomplishes that?

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    3 months ago

You cannot mix stain and sealer. Did you mean applying natural seal over country white? If so, that will be fine.

• Michelle
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

G & S Floor Service thank you! You are correct I did not mean mixing them. Yes, I meant that we applied Bona natural seal over country white. We did 50% country white with a neutral stain and then Bona Natural Seal on top. Do you see this having the problems you were talking about? I'm wondering if doing Bona Nordic alone without stain would have been better, or if my combo is pretty much creating the same result.

• Michelle
    2 months ago

Update on our floors! Im happy with how the 1/2 country white stain and Bona Natural Sealer turned out. :)

• PRO
    Casa Rutherford
    2 months ago

@Dreamingangeltarot, thank tou for sharing! im attempting for a third time to gwt my floors right :/ I did Bona natural over red oak, and they are straight PEACH! Im curious what you did exactly- Duraseal country white 50/50 with neutral Duraseal? Then Bona natural on top right? Do you think you could have gone without the Natural on top, and just do the traffic hd? Thank you for your help with this nightmare!

• ordoabchao847
    15 days ago

Has anyone done or is it possible to use a coat of Bona Natural and a coat of Bona Nordic followed by two coats of Bona Traffic on Red Oak? We're really having a hard time deciding right now and we need to decide quickly so we can move on with the reno. If anyone could explain how the Natural and Nordic would work together and in which order you would do them if possible that would be great. Also, any pics of a finished product using these combinations on Red Oak would be great. Thanks!

• Michelle
    13 days ago

Casa Rutherford- sorry im just now seeing this! here is the exact recipe according to my floor guy

50/50 country white and paint thinner mix

One coat Bona Natural

Two coats Bona (mega one)

Update since last i posted is that thd floors ended up a little too matte in texture. They came back, buffed, and put a coat of bona satin traffic on them for added protection. This did not change the color however and the pics I posted were before that addition.

My floors looked peach to me in the beginning too but as i got used to them i realized they were really pretty it just took a bit of time to sit with. Most people seem to have better luck with nordic seal but I just didnt want that look I wanted them to retain more natural color.

• Taylor S
    11 days ago

simply posting to show the transformation on our red oak floors as this feed was very helpful throughout this process

completed with two coats of Bona Nordic and one Bona Satin Traffic HD

• Wendy Coster
    11 days ago

Beautiful! And glad you went with the traffic. I already have to redo my floors! Can you believe it? I’m going to go with a different contractor. The last one did very shoddy work. Yours looks fabulous and I hope it withstands the rest of time! Enjoy!