SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linaria_z7_ch

nearing a total make over... (z7)

linaria_gw
6 years ago

do you know the story of a guy who got a new telly? It`s larger than the old on, so they modify the shelf

then the old unpainted wall behind the removed shelf-bits appears, ruining the whole picture

so they paint the old bit,

which looks funny next to the not so fresh surrounding wall

so they paint the whole wall...

-----

for me it started with about 8 daylilies -some give-away NoIDs, I even forgot where they came from, ahem..

which flowered for the first time this year, a lovely deep red, robust plants, flowers not fading, so I thought I`d keep them and "just edit the neighbour plants to avoid color clashing", there are some pink areas in my beds.

at a second thought I realized that I had quite a number of so-so-plants in my border which mainly grew there because I hadn`t had the time to shovel prune them

-like Hemerocallis fulva, after my first euphoria about their vigor I thought that their flowers were rather underwhelming....

so now I`m putting together a concept for two differently colored beds

one in yellow-orange-red

the other in

white-pink-(Geranium) blue

and dream of jaw dropping combinations of bold Eremurus, cheery daisy-flowered types, frost hardy, tall Fuchsia...

with a backbone of tall Panicum and Miscanthus

hope to really get the different hights right and don`t want an overcrowded look or too tall stuff near the front

next step is a reality check with rough sketch and spread sheet to get a realistic idea, how many different plants are possible and what combinations are doable

my beds are rather smallish, so space is a premium

hope to get it organized and thought-through till September

because IME if you start frantically digging up dormant "half dead" stuff in mid November, you miss so many details which show in the next year

and as this is kind of my bread and butter, I really should manage it....

probably will first remove all boring stuff

label and heel in good perennials

refine my order-list while doing so

plant

enjoy

and if I have enough time (ha), I could splurge on a ton, well quarter ton of bold bulbs...

have a nice weekend, bye, Lin

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022