SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
larsi_gw

MamaP was right...Homemade liquid Dove soap

larsi_gw
6 years ago

As usual..Mama is right on the money. Pre-made liquid Dove Body wash does not smell like the amazing and famous Original Scent Dove Beauty Bar. Besides Janice goat milk soap, nothing smells or works better than Original Dove.

I followed her directions:

Bring 4 cups of distilled water to a boil, and then had 2 whole grated/shredded Dove Beauty Bars. Lower heat and simmer and stir until smooth and creamy. Let cool.

When cool, stir more and then add the soap to your desired bottle(s). Leave the lid(s) off overnight (or at least 6 hours).

Voila....creamy, luscious and perfect Dove wash for body, face and hands. Smells amazing, feels amazing and I love it!!

THANK YOU Mama. XOXO

Comments (83)

• always1stepbehind
    6 years ago

I took my son to the dermatologist about a month ago. The recommended dove unscented for his face. Even before starting the acne wash they prescribed, there was an improvement with his acne just using the Dove unscented. I tried it but my 50 yr old face skin didn't like it...I'll stick with my Clinique face wash :-)

• kpyeatt
    6 years ago

http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/idascorner/soap/are-your-soaps-and-shampoo-bars-ph-balanced

I came across this interesting read above while looking up info on pH. Definitely, everyone is different.

• kpyeatt
    6 years ago

always1step - I'm 56 and seems like just about anything I use strips my face and makes it very dry feeling. I tried Clinique face wash a very long time ago and even in my 30's that made my face dry feeling. I discovered Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Facial Wash & Scrub about a month ago. No dryness at all. Finally. After all these years.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    6 years ago

kpyeatt, thank you for the Chagrin Valley site. I think.

• miami mami
    6 years ago

Kpyeatt---yes that's the one, the sea salt bar. I think you're right, French milled, made in US. And --yes-- I buy the dr bronner bar soaps. They are kind of hard to find but Whole Foods has them, though usually 1-2$ more than other places, but Whole Foods carries the entire line of the scents so if you prefer a certain scent.......I also love Mrs Meyers bar soaps but almost impossible to find in stores, and online is more expensive. The coconut oil or Castile based soaps do not dry me out, but I also live in subtropical, humid south Florida, which has done wonders for my skin to be honest. I barely need to moisterize, but I still use allafia every day shea in unscented formula on my hands and feet and elbows and face. Also found at Whole Foods. I don't like highly scented soaps, lotions, creams etc , esp if I'm wearing fragrance, I do t want it clashing w my (expensive) fragrance, which is usually some variety of Theirry Mugler for nights out, ( I conserve it and don't wear every day) for daytime I love davidoff cool water even though it's old and probably dated , it still smells great to me!

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@ Miami Mami.....Thierry Mugler!!! I knew I loved you. I have work Mugler since about 1994! Everyone knows me by this scent.

I also wear Tom Ford Tabacco Vanille and Patchouli Absolu (I blend the two fragrances). Let me tell you, when blended these two scents have men & women asking me what I am wearing everywhere I go. Honestly sometimes, I do not wear it if I do not feel like talking to people....it is that popular. LOL

• kpyeatt
    6 years ago

That's hiliarious Larsi!!!! ... "if I do not feel like talking to people" ... hahaha. I can't wear any fragrance at all. It always changes scents on me and I end up smelling gross. Plus, I hate going to a restaurant and smelling other peoples' perfume to where I can't even taste my food. A "hint" is OK. But seems like a lot of people get immune to the smell and they can't even smell themselves anymore so they douse it on. haha. But, that's just me.

Miami - I live in Houston and you need scuba gear to be able to breathe here it's so humid BUT it's done wonders for my skin, too. I hate the humidity but it is good for the skin. I had a friend who moved to Colorado and she aged 5 years in 6 months. Other than that and the cold, I'd love to live in CO : ). Thanks for the tip on where to find the soaps.

Kim

larsi_gw thanked kpyeatt
  • miami mami
    6 years ago

Larsi----I must go smell the patchouli absolu. Is it also a Tom Ford fragrance? The tabbaco vanille smelled AMAZING in the store when I smelled it as you've mentioned it before, but I've never heard of this patchouli absolu--- Seems you and I are of similar tastes in fragrance. I evoke a similar response with a certain TM fragrance (I wear them all, but only one gets people actually asking me what I'm wearing) I do love. them they are so unique, been wearing some variety of his fragrance since 1998 and I still love.

larsi_gw thanked miami mami
  • miami mami
    6 years ago

I agree Kim. I also cannnot stand ppl who leave a literal trail of scent behind them, no matter how wonderful it may smell, it's too much. Changing scents is good sometimes which is why I do a lot. So you don't overdose and have a cloud of scent hanging around you. I have literally gagged on some women's perfumes walking by me in stores etc, it's SO strong. And yes---humidity---a double edged sword. I'm actually so used to it now though that my eyes dry out when I'm somewhere without it, like on a trip up north in winter, and I also freeze at temperatures that are "normal" for everyone else.

• miami mami
    6 years ago

By the way-Dove has a new variety out----Baby Dove-- I keep wanting to buy it but every time I go to buy they are out of the baby dove bar. I don't want the liquid wash, want to try the bar. Anyone else seen this? Tried it?

• dchall_san_antonio
    6 years ago

I can't justify spending $1000 to mix perfumes, but I can grind up free soap slivers to make a liquid soap. I use Zest bar soap, not necessarily for the fragrance but for the fact that it does not leave any scum like, for example, Dial does. I'm going to try boiling it into a liquid starting with the recipe by the OP here.

• kpyeatt
    6 years ago

miami - YES! double edged sword for sure!!! When we go to Dallas (250 miles northwest of Houston) my eyes dry out like crazy and my lips get so chapped. And I'm from Dallas. hahaha. And yes, I freeze on a trip up north (north as in Dallas. Anywhere north of that, I'm frozen solid) haha. So I guess I've become used to the humidity but doesn't mean I like it. LOL. I haven't seen the Baby Dove. Gotta check that out.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Worthy to note. Bar soaps do leave a lovely scum on the tub/shower that washes off easily enough... besides tub/shower should be scrubbed weekly anyway....the liquid soaps leave a permanent residue on face cloths that no amount of heat even boil washing will remove. I wouldrather not have my face cloths looking like rags. This of course doesn't bother everyone....only people with OCD will care haha.

Mami....BABY DOVE...Oh I must find and huff this..Larsi you seen it yet??? Pat??? Anyone???

I hope it doesn't smell like all the other baby stuff, but more like original Dove just softer not that Dove is highly scented it iisn't.

• miami mami
    6 years ago

Hey MP! Yes BABY DOVE! It must smell heavenly since every time I see the display the bars are sold out! And yes the trade off to bar soap-----soap scum. It scrubs right off my kids bathtub with one of those yellow/green scrubbie thingys. My walk in shower is another story. I have to use magic erasers and a scrub brush. The tile in that shower is original 1970's and unfortunately it shows, even after scrubbing it to death. I have just given up on trying to make it look new, as long as it is acceptably clean, I'm not worried about it. I won't be here much longer (it's a rental house) anyway, prob 1-2 yrs max.

• miami mami
    6 years ago

Dchall San Antonio, I also like Zest bar soap! Let us know how your zest body wash concoction turns out! And idk what Larsi spends on his fragrances, but I can assure you that it's not 1000$. Lol. When I say "expensive" I mean around 50-100$ per, which is (to me anyway) a lot of money for what it is. (A bottle of water or alcohol or whatever it is mixed w fragrance) which is also why I conserve and don't use them every day. :)

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Mami try a Mr Clean magic sponge on the shower. Test a small area first. I use them on my shower..easy.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

I called my pharmacy and they do have the baby Dove bars in stock. Singles and multi packs. I'll pick up a bar later today and do a test LOL...I love testing new soaps.

Any awesome shampoo recommendations? I need something I can find at a store not one I have to order.

• kpyeatt
    6 years ago

And I am another that cares about soap scum because I am definitely OCD. haha. And I had NO idea that liquid soap leaves a film on washcloths that is permanent. Who knew! Although I use one of the puffy pouf things ... although I'm kinda deciding those things are kinda gross, even tho I wash it. Oh what to do what to do LOL. And I thought someone said Dove is one that doesn't leave soap scum. I think I'll try and hunt down that Baby Dove anyways.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    6 years ago

Yes, please, someone recommend a good shampoo. I think I have scalp seborrhea dermatisis but the T-Sal just makes it worse where my head hits the pillow and create warmth. I'll be getting Baby Dove in about 2 hours and will report tomorrow or weekend.d You won't believe this but the regular Dove Beauty Bar actually does not irritate my skin like the Sensitive version. Go figure. The scent of the regular Beauty Bar is just too strong to me, but if I don't itch, I'm in heaven and the scent disappears soon enough.

• kpyeatt
    6 years ago

bahahahahahahaha I just busted out laughing Pat!

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Those poofy bath thingys made with netting I can't use...I'm Ummm, sensitive..haha. and I can't get to the sensitive areas..Lol. I like a face cloth thats

thin but not too thin. Speaking of Dove my daughter Amiee likes the Dove from Germany the best. Larsi sent her some awhile back and it was love at first suds.

larsi_gw thanked mamapinky0
  • mamapinky0
    6 years ago

LMBO@Pat ignoring Larsi....ya know only in the laundry room can we talk this way another Houzz room would have everyone up in arms. Lol

Love ya Pat.

• kpyeatt
    6 years ago

DOVE from Germany???!!!! WHO KNEW!!!!????? y'all are so smart around here!

No pouffy netting for you, mama? haha! If you're looking for thin, not too thin, cheap wash cloths, Target's your place. I buy theirs. I think they're perfect. And perfectly cheap. I can't stand thick wash cloths. Do you have Targets wherever you are?

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Miami Mami....Tom Ford fragrances run roughly $200-600 per bottle, depending on size. Tabacoo Vanille and Patchouli absolu are my FAVS. Spouse wears TF Noir de Noir.

Thierry Mugler is MUCH more affordable....$50-150!!

YES...our local Rite Aid stores have Baby Dove bar soap. It smells soft and light, but it for sure SMALLER than regular Dove.

I bought some liquid Baby Dove to use as hand wash. I wash my hands A LOT during the day, so I always seek our gentle and mild soaps.

I wrote to Dove about the wording on the back of the bottle though. It starts with..."AS A MOTHER"!! Ughhhh, it is not 1957. Many families do not have a mother, or the mother is not involved. Many times it is a grandparent, aunt, uncle, sibling, etc... It is not just a mother that cares and loves their babies. Dove should say...AS A PARENT!!! ;)

Pat....ha ha ha ha. LOL XOxoXO

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Larsi a bar of Dove white is 3.17 ounces(90g) and a bar of Dove baby is 3.17 ounces(90g. The boxes are also the same size, but held away from each other the babys looks smaller..must be an optical illusion.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    6 years ago

Reviewers on Amazon were really pissed that the Baby Dove was so much smaller. They also disliked the Sensitive Baby bar fragrance, which tells me again that masking fragrances can really suck and that maybe the masking fragrances are more irritating that the regular "Fragrance." Larsi, zip it.

larsi_gw thanked Pat Z5or6 SEMich
  • mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Hahahahaha

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Amiee just used the Dove baby and really really likes it. And lord her skin is as smooth as melted butter ....omg melted butter..yes I could go for some melted butter on top of a huge pile of long grain white rice. see how quickly my mind wonders.

• Cal
    6 years ago

@Larsi... Give the TF Ombre Leather 16 mixed with Santal Blush a try next time!

larsi_gw thanked Cal
  • larsi_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Cal...I will!!!!

LOL Pat. As I've said for years...sensitive/unscented is not always gentler than scented. This is especially true with Dove!

MamaP...I so thought of you tonight. I had a BIG bowl of white rice swimming with butter tonight. Heaven!! It too, is one of my all time fav things to eat.

• miami mami
    6 years ago

Ok so maybe Larsi DOES spend $1000 on his fragrances LOL. I think sephora sells them so I'll be making a stop the next time I'm around and hopefully they have testers and I will make this larsi blended TF concoction. I will make this trip w no credit cards, either LOL.

larsi_gw thanked miami mami
  • miami mami
    6 years ago

I also love rice but cannot eat it very often so I've been subbing cauli rice for most dishes. But nothing like "real" rice!

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Larsi LOL yes butter with rice soooo good, butter with anything soooo good. But its much to late in the evening to indulge.

Pat did you try the Dove Baby yet..I just did and its delicious. The scent on the bar when package is first opened is light but still not quite as light as I thought it would be...but on the skin it leaves such a light scent as I like to say a hint. Left my skin feeling soft, but more of a natural softness, I do think I like this. I don't feel like there's residue left behind just a lovely smooth feeling. I may have to get the Dove baby lotion lol it will all go hand in hand with my Dove shampoo and Dove deodorant...have I mentioned I love Dove deodorant. Haha.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Mami Thank You for mentioning Dove baby.

• kpyeatt
    6 years ago

I get the feeling that you all seem to know each other quite well.

larsi_gw thanked kpyeatt
  • sparky823
    6 years ago

Miami, as to cleaning soap scum, mix in a spray bottle half BLUE Dawn dish detergent and half White Vinegar. Spray your shower letting it soak a few minutes but not long enough to dry. Then wipe down and rinse. Works great.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Kpyeatt..ya and there are members here that I trust with my own children...not saying I'd ship my grands off, but, No wait THAT sounds like a grand idea..lol.

• kpyeatt
    6 years ago

That's really saying something, mama. Wow! Pretty cool y'all are all so close knit. Well I appreciate you all always answering this outsider's numerous questions : )

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Outsider, pish-posh there's plenty of room in Mama's apron pockets just hop on in and enjoy the ride.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    6 years ago

sparky, the Blue Dawn is the best on Pergo floors too. No need to buy anything else. It's also yummy on big fat egg noodles instead of butter. Forget rice, egg noodles is the bomb!

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Pat I never would have thought to try blue Dawn on egg noodles..Hahaha...got cha

• kpyeatt
    6 years ago

thanks mama. you're very sweet : )

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

BLUE DAWN on egg noodles?! OMG :-O Oh Pat honey...you bathe with Dove, not eat it. LOL

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

LOL.....Pat you are a very couragous cook.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Ok its been a few days so I can give more opinions on Dove baby. By the way I also bought the lotion.

I love the soap, it doesn't leave a feeling on my skin like some moisturizing soaps do including Dove White, but does leave it very smooth, soft, and supple...the scent left on the skin is extremely light. Pat you might like this soap.

The lotion I do not like not at all except for the very light almost no fragrance. It leaves a very sticky feel, even into the next day its sticky. However I have an area below my elbow about the area of an egg that's very dry, red, itchy, and sore..I'm a leaner so I tend to put my elbow area on my knees and lean forward a lot anyway I've been using this lotion several times a day for 3 days now on that area...I can still see a pinkish area, but its now smooth and the itch is gone as is the iirritating pain so I'd say it did a great job on a problem area. I will not use this as an all over lotion but will use it for problem areas...I'd suggest you try it Pat.

Chip my 8yo has some eczema around both ankles, I've used the soap and lotion on him since Thursday applying the lotion to the eczema areas 3 times a day..the eczema is not cleared up, but well on its way. Just for this alone its a keeper. I haven't ask Amiee today for her thoughts yet. Tim my 9yo wouldn't use lotion for love or money lol, I should probably insist as its part of healthy skin care. so in a nutshell the soap is lovely and the lotion great only for problem areas.

• kpyeatt
    6 years ago

Wow thanks for the great review, mama! Looks like I'll be picking this up along with my Sports Tide when I'm at Target! Great info.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    6 years ago

Me too. I'll get it just on MP0's comments. She is seldom wrong. Thank you, Pink. Did I tell you how much I love my Shabby Chic sheets from Target? OMG! And the quilts are on sale right now, I think. I don't need another quilt.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Pat I'm sorry I missed your comment. I'm glad you like the Shabby Chic, and the more their washed the nicer they become. I have a all white Shabby Chic duvet cover it is my absolute favorate and I refuse to sleep with a different one lol. Did you buy a quilt???

And while I have you here have you ever used Aldi night cream *Lacura*?? Amiee likes the Lacura face wash and when I picked her up one I seen the night cream and it jumped into my buggy. I'll start it tonight and report back I'm hoping it turns me into a drop dead georgous 20 year old LOL LOL LOL. Hugs Pat!

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    6 years ago

Hugs caught at just the right time, Mama, thank you.

Report on Lacura when you can.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm