SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
idontlikespam111

Long time follower, just joined

Brandon Scotts
6 years ago

Good Afternoon everybody,

I have been looking to this forum for guidance for about 6 months now as the support and knowledge is very impressive. Typically I have been able to find everything I need, however, I have recently encountered a problem that I need input on.

A little about my lawn. I have Tif419 Bermuda and I fertilize with EasyGrow 19-5-9 at 1lb/1k as my soil test came back lacking Potash, but in the optimum range of everything else (macros and micros). This is the only thing available to me that has somewhat a high N content, but also has a decent amount of Potash to hopefully get my levels up. My watering frequency is infrequent at an average of 1 inches a week. Since out weather has been hovering around 100 with the heat index being 102+, I have found myself watering a total of 1.25 inches divided into twice a week. At the beginning it was 1.25 inches once a week, but half way through the week I noticed heat stress, so dividing it has worked well.

My HOC is currently at 1.5 inches with a rotary mower. I'd love a reel mower, however it is just not in the budget for this year, but will be a priority by next Spring. My yard handles 1.5 inches well and I mow every 3 days.

Now to my problem, I have about 3 or 4 areas in my front yard that has common Bermuda popping up. At first glance, I thought it was a species of crabgrass, however, my research tells me that is more thank likely common Bermuda; feel free to correct me if I am wrong though.

Is there a method or strategy to crowd out/kill the common and allow the surrounding hybrid grow in? I'm at a loss here and I have no clue on what to do. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am in zone 9a if that matters.

Comments (4)