SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_39354396

Very disheartened...not sure of my next step. Please help.

User
6 years ago

So i have been working for months on remodeling our kitchen. By work I mean ripping out the soffit, opening walls to check on plumbing lines, researching cabinet companies, reading every GW post written in the last five years : ), etc. For the past few months, I have been trying to find a KD or contractor who can build us a plan that utilizes or space effectively and is budget conscious. I have increased or budget line twice because the more educated I get about the process, the more realistic I am with what I should spend and what I can spend.

I don't know what to do about hiring a KD or contractor. I interviewed a few designers and the first three either didn't meet our needs, can't get to the job for too long, or who developed plans I can't afford. The KD I really wanted to use came in priced about $10,000 higher than I could afford and when I asked for a detailed estimate to see where I could cut costs, he basically stopped communicating with me.

I met with a contractor about three weeks ago and I really liked his initial thoughts about what he could do with my kitchen. He did another local home and the owners really liked his work. I was excited this morning since he called and said he wanted to present his plan today. When he did, I was a bit deflated with what I initially saw but thought that we could work together on improving the plan, especially since his plan came in on budget. However, I was quite taken aback when he said that he would remove a load-bearing wall (I was very pleased with that) but then stated "You are supposed to get an engineer to come up with the plan, but we don't need to waste the money. I know what they are going to say and I can do it myself." Now, I appreciate confidence but this guy is pretty young (doing this about 7 years), our local code requires a engineer's plan and our 2,600 square foot home is supported by that wall. It was depressing to know that the person I hoped to use was the type of person who would not pull a permit and risk structural damage to my home. So cross his name off my list. If he will cut corners there, will else will he cut them?

I don't know what to do. KDs are great but are really booked up in our area and are priced a bit higher than I can probably afford. But the contractors I spoke with either lacked the vision to develop a really nice plan or want to do things that risk the safety or my family. What do I do?

We have lived without a ceiling for about seven months. Everything in my kitchen is falling apart (seriously, the disposal died last week, parts fell off the dishwasher two days ago), I have lost a drawer front and three cabinets doors in the last few months, the microwave works about 1/2 the time and I need to get this done. My 11yo daughter and I were speaking a few weeks ago and I asked her what she could change about me if she could change anything and her response was "I would make sure you get the kitchen done soon." It really affects her.

Going to a new contractor/KD will add weeks to this process and then I may find out that I can't afford their work or don't like their work and I end up delayed again. I am not opposed to using RTA cabinets (Conestoga, Scherr's, etc), especially to save money, but I am not confident in my ability to come up with a final plan that I can send to them to get a quote.

I need some words of wisdom. How can I move this process along? I NEED to be done by Thanksgiving. Do I go with a contractor? KD? Online company? I feel so deflated right now and need help. PLEASE HELP!!

Comments (46)