SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vancouverownerbuilder

Stove Front Deeper than Cabinets?

Esther Owner-Builder
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I have decorative gables on the sides of my Wolf Dual Fuel Range. The gables have been built out a bit too much. If I install the range so that the front of the oven door is flush against the front of the gables, then there will be a 1/2" gap at the back. Alternatively, I could push the range back flush against the rear wall, in which case the gables will be sticking out 1/4" to 3/8" proud of the front of the oven doors (I can reduce it from 1/2" by leaving a very small gap at the back, too small to notice).

The counter top is already installed, so I don't want to push the gables back at this point.

The installation manual does not actually provide for any maximum recess depth or minimum clearances to the sides of the oven door (it makes no mention of it)! They provide instructions for flush installation of wall-mounted ovens. The doors are 7/8" to 1" thick on wall-mounted ovens. My door on the free standing range is 1-1/8" thick.

I have also found a picture online showing a Wolf Range recessed from the front of the side gables, which I actually think looks alright (but if you think it looks wrong please say so):

Has anyone had any experience installing or owning a range stove that is pushed in further than the cabinet fronts? Any problem with discoloration of cabinets beside the oven? Mine are white painted maple.

I know it would be safer to pull the range out so that the gables don't stick out further than the oven door front, however, even at flush installation there will be 1-1/8" of gable exposed to heat escaping from the sides of the doors. If that's not a problem, then can it be much worse at 1-1/2"?

Comments (15)