SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_hallock

Microwave solution - deeper upper cabinet?

Kristen Hallock
11 years ago

I need to figure this last thing out before the end of the week.

I want to put my microwave in an upper cabinet like pictured here in this mock-up.

I'll be buying a new microwave. I dont know which one though. We use the MW alot, but only for little things like reheating small tupperwares of food, or frozen Lean Cuisines or Popcorn. I can make this cabinet deeper for the microwave. Either 15 or 18" deep. The cabinet guy said its an ideal space since its up against a wall and another cabinet - is that true? Will it look funny for this cabinet to be 18" deep when the others are just 12"?

Another thing is that I can either get a 42" tall 30" wide upper with a shelf below and doors above the microwave OR I can get a 39" tall 30" wide open cabinet with just shelves. No doors above the MW.

Which would you prefer? I could put nicer serving dishes that we dont really use above the microwave if I didnt have doors to hide things there.

If I get the cabinet without the doors then the bottom of the cabinet would line up with all of my other cabinets since I could get it 39" tall. If I get the cabinet that has a shelf for the MW and then doors above, I need to get a 42" cabinet so the cabinet would hand down 3" below the adjacent cabinet.

Also I am thinking I should get this 18" deep to accommodate a decent microwave? I could also go 15" deep but then I would have a limited choice of microwave.

Please help me decide!

Comments (20)