SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Tartar sauce variations

Lars
6 years ago

I had some very good tartar sauce in Brazil that was fairly different from what I normally make, and I liked it a lot and would like to make something like it, but I could not tell what was in it. Here are some photos

As you can see, it has something orange in it, and I think that might be shredded carrot, but I'm not sure.

Whatever it was, what are you favorite tartar sauce recipes?

My own is based on Cajun recipes that I've been making since I lived in Texas, and mainly have mayo, green onion, cayenne or black pepper, lemon juice, dill, and minced dill pickles (and sometimes chopped hard boiled egg). I don't like anything sweet in tartar sauce, but perhaps what I had in Brazil was some sort of remoulade sauce, although that would be more similar to what I make for a dressing for Crab Louis, which has horseradish in it. The Brazilian tartar sauce did not have horseradish and was not hot, but it did have a lot of flavor. I could not distinguish what vegetables were in it, but it did not have dill, cucumber, or pickles. I don't think it had onion either. It could have had capers, however.

Anyway, I am looking to expand my repertoire of tartar sauce variations. In the past, I have only found ones that I did NOT like, mainly because they had sweet ingredients, such as sweet pickles (which I hate), and so I am looking for something not sweet. Carrots might add a bit of sweetness, but not as much as sweet pickles.

Comments (15)