SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_brooks36

Another round of what weed is this? And help on starting lawn from scr

Teresa Brooks
6 years ago

Hello I'm new here as well as to being a homeowner. The previous tenants let the lawn go and it was over run with weeds. So after much toiling. (Tilling, hoeing, weed killing) and three different grass seeds I finally have a scraggly looking lawn coming in. My problem is it seems to be overrun with weeds and I'm not sure which grass is growing. My husband after doing a very small amount of internet questing decided to try KBG after a month of water 2-3 times a day he gave up. I went through and seeded with a mix Vigoro fast grass and Zenith Zoysia. I live in a zone 3 transition area where drought is more common than cold but when it gets cold it isn't pleasant. Long story short I'm sure those pesky giant clumps of leaves are weeds, the KBG (see second picture, is slower growing than the other grass but ita too early for it to be the zoysia 18 days after seeding) might be coming up and I'd like to know how to kill those weeds without potentially harming the grass that is coming up or killing the zoysia if it is in fact germinating. Also please pardon my ignorance I did do research and probably fell for some untrue things that you find on the internet. Thanks for the help in advance.

Comments (2)