SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mariannese

Visiting rose gardens

mariannese
6 years ago

Today I visited first a young enthusiastic beginning rose collector who visited my garden last year. I could see that she was overdoing herself, planting too many old roses too close but how full of joy she was. And I enjoyed her joy. Several of her roses were far more well-grown than mine. Growing old roses is in decline in Sweden so it was good to see someone young begin a collection. Then I went on to the garden of a friend of mine not far away from the first garden who inspired me 20 years ago and I told her so. But she has lost interest in her hundreds of roses, still keeps those that thrive but her greatest interest now is growing vegetables. Her 10 acre garden is still a marvel of design, immortalized in garden books and her own writings.

I don't know what I wanted to say about these rose gardens but they made me think about where I stand. I buy less roses than I did, for lack of energy and because it's too late for me to make major changes to accomodate more roses. But I don't think I will ever lose interest in roses or want to be without them. I grow some vegetables but they can never replace roses and my interest in their history and beauty. Perhaps it's a good thing that I was never a compulsive collector so I've not been very disappointed in the failures I've had. (Sorry my English fails me suddenly). Have you lost interest in roses or see it coming?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!