SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

Would this strategy risk powdery mildew?

6 years ago

Going out of town a few days. My in-ground plants will be fine for five days. My potted trees (and a few other plants) need to be watered about every three days in summer heat.

Aside fromhaving someone hand water fifteen large pots (which frankly I don't trust anyone to do properly), the only option is an oscillating sprinkler.

My sprinkler timer isn't working (it comes on at the right time, but won't shut off). So my idea was to have our pet sitter turn on the spigot daily when they arrive to feed our pets, and turn it off when they leave. It would be daily light waterings, but it's about my only option (and if they start off moist, it should keep them moist).

For five days of that, done in the morning with high temps in the 90s, would that likely cause powdery milder or other fungal issues? Too much water on the rootballs is unlikely simply due to the heat.

Moving them to shade isn't a logistical option (too many to move, many are staked with stakes shoved into the ground next to the pots), and my potting mix gets hydrophobic if too dry (meaning I'd have to plunge and soak each tree in a bucket of water when I return, hours worth of work).

The pet sitter stays at the house for 30 minutes. I thought of asking them to do it every other day instead as well.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio