SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nlmackay

Struggling to select a roof - need to make a decision by end of week!

nlmackay
6 years ago

We live in Massachusetts and had a ton of storm damage in the winter of 2015. Finally we are going to re-side and re-roof our home. We’ve selected CertainTeed Monogram Granite Gray vinyl siding. (pretty similar to what we already have - a warm gray).

I’ve posted before, yet I’m still stuck for a decision! We need to select our roof by the end of the week. We want darker than what we currently have, but I’m afraid of going TOO black. I also don’t want anything blue-ish or green-ish; just a really dark gray architectural shingle that shows dimension. Our roof doesn’t show any dimension in the architectural shingle and looks “flat”. Not sure what is currently on the house because we aren’t the original owners.

Our contractor dropped off the below samples – PLEASE HELP

CertainTeed Landmark – Charcoal Black (sample looks much darker in person than Moire Black, yet I’ve seen it on two houses and it appears lighter – does that mean it fades easily? SO confused)

CertainTeed Landmark – Moire Black (sample looks very black)

CertainTeed Landmark – Pewterwood (looks different on the few homes I’ve seen it on – again SO confused!)

GAF Timberline - Charcoal (almost pulled the trigger on this and then panicked it’s too black)

GAF Timberline - Pewter Gray (haven’t seen on a house, so not sure what it really looks like based on the sample alone)

Owens Corning Duration – Onyx Black (too black?)

Owens Corning Duration – Estate Gray (haven’t seen on a house, so not sure what it really looks like based on the sample alone, blue-ish?)

Tamko Heritage – Rustic Black (too black?)

Tamko Heritage – Virginia Slate (haven’t seen on a house, so not sure what it really looks like based on the sample alone, blue-ish?)

Iko – Dual Black (Originally loved this one, then I read online a lot of bad reviews)

As you can see I’m totally overwhelmed! I've been driving all over creation looking at roofs like a crazy lady. Not a fun summer break for my kids! LOL! Any advice as to what brand is “best” and what color would work well on my home? Below is an old picture of the listing from when we bought the house, our door is now black with a gold door knocker, no brass kick plate.

Thanks in advance!

Here's a recent picture, but the lighting is a bit dark.

Close-up of the current roof.

Comments (53)