SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celticmoon_gw

I need to make proposal decision long distance and fast

celticmoon
9 years ago

2480 sf row house in Tampa/Sarasota area, built c 2005. This is our future retirement home and we have a tenant living there. The A/C has failed and I need to act quickly. I live 1000 miles away, and worse, I am away on vacation this week. Would very much appreciate input/advice on several options.

1) try a repair. Refilling/repairing older Freon system would run $700ish & up. The Goodman condenser unit is pretty rusted and I am told the fix may not last 2 years.

2)Comfortmaker 15 seer, 3.5 ton 5 kw heat pump system NXH542GKA, air handler FXM4X4300AT, 10 year warranty. $475 FPL rebate gets this to $4530

3) Trane 13 seer, 3.5 ton, 5 kw heat pump system 4TWB3042, air handler TEM3A0C48, 10 year warranty for $4997

4)Trane Xl 18i 2 stage. 17 seer, 4.0 ton, 5 kw heat pump system 4TWX8048, air handler TAM7A0C48, 12 year warranty. Current FLP/MFG rebates of $1420 get this down to $7700

This home is by water, between Manatee River & Terra Ceia Bay, so rust resistance is a consideration. And we do plan to live there ourselves (please, please, some day) so cooling/dehumidifying cost savings over time is also a consideration.

I have a little OCD, so I usually over-research everything. I hate this urgency. I have lost too many precious vacation hours grappling with this, yet I still don't understand well the options, costs and risks.

Could one of you experts reassure me that these proposals are not way out of line cost wise? (I am jumpy because I recently lost several thousand dollars at the lease resigning due to a technicality. Lesson learned.)

Secondly, any thoughts across the choices? Dehumidifying is more critical to me than lowering the temp to 60s or low 70s. With the financing option, we could go with choice #4 if the savings will be there over time,,,( I have no regrets over buying a better HVAC system for my Wisconsin home a couple years ago. I am psycho frugal except when it doesn't make sense.)

I would appreciate any input. I have learned a lot reading these threads.

THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU

Comments (14)