SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zen_man

It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 43

zen_man
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello everyone,

Welcome to this ongoing message thread. Once again, the previous part of this continuing series, It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 42 has exceeded 100 messages, with a lot of picture content, as well as text content, and that could make the thread slow to load for some users, so we are continuing the series here for yet another fresh start.

The same guidelines apply here. Anything remotely related to zinnias is fine. (Or plant breeding in general, or feral cats or precocious cats or locusts or chupacabras or whatever.)

We have classic July heat here in Kansas. This picture of my South Garden was taken about an hour ago, looking at it from the North. That is a field of soybeans beyond the line of volunteer trees.

My South Garden contains almost exclusively Whirligig zinnias. I do have some young scabious seedlings that I "interpolated" between the existing rows. They are currently too small to "show up" in the picture. Some of the Whirligig specimens are interesting because they have unusual characteristics that might be considered to be defects. This is an example of that.
Its plant is fairly normal for a Whirligig, but its bloom is almost a miniature. That gives it an almost un-zinnia-like "look".

I look forward to your participation with comments and photos here in this message thread.

ZM

Comments (106)

• zen_man
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Welcome Helene,

" Also, I am wondering if it's possible to cross a gem marigold with a larger flowered type marigold, anyone here know? "

I don't know. One possibility is that they have different chromosome numbers and the hybrids would be triploids. There has been a triploid commercial marigold, but I don't know ifl it is currently available. Triploids are sterile, so they don't need to be dead-headed, so they can have a much longer blooming period. Google your question, but also do the crosses as an experiment.

" Both zinderella peach and lilac seem to be quite variable. They are
    supposed to be a scabious type but many plants produce single flowers
    and one plant has so many layers that it is cone like. "

Your experience with the Zinderellas is typical of what everybody is seeing, and it is typical of commercial scabious zinnias in general.. You are lucky to have a few good ones, which puts you in a good position to use them as breeders. Seed saved from the "good ones" are more likely to produce good progeny. Crosses made with the good ones are also more likely to produce interesting results.

" I'm not sure if they are open pollinated or a hybrid so I'm wondering
    the best way to save seed for next year. Should I hand pollinate or
    cross the best specimens? Or just select seed from the best ones? "

Since such a high percentage are "bad", it is highly likely that they are open pollinated. If they were true F1 hybrids, we would expect a much higher percentage of on-type plants. I suggest doing both hand pollinations and saving selfs. The central portions of scabious zinnia blooms consist of modified pollen florets, so you can use tweezers to "fish out" some usable pollen from them to cross with other zinnias. The guard petals are more conventional petals, and have conventional stigmas that you can pollinate. Many of the central scabious florets will produce selfed seeds from their internal stigmas.

Scabious zinnia blooms are functionally a bit complicated, but they offer you several breeding opportunities. Do cross them both ways with your best Oklahoma Salmon specimens. The Oklahomas have good floriferous plants that could produce an excellent gene mix with the Zinderellas. You could get some interesting F1 hybrids, and an interesting variety of F2 recombinants. Crosses with scabious genes can yield zinnia forms that resemble Echinaceas or other flowers (that near-white one reminds me of a waterlily). These are pictures from previous years.

Your "good" Zinderellas could produce some interesting F1 and F2 hybrids.

ZM

• Helene
    6 years ago

Wow! Thanks for all the detailed explanation and advice. Fantastic photos too! I love the long petals in combo with the bushy centre part and the interesting combination colors

I'm looking forward to giving it a try. I might also get some pollen from some friends growing brighter colors and bigger flowers.

i did actually Google the marigold question a bunch of different ways before posting but maybe didn't use the right search terms. I'll experiment and see what happens.

One of my favourite zinderella lilacs

Zinderella peach

Helene

• Related Discussions

It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 34

Q

Comments (115)
    Hi Alex, " How is the indoor garden going, ZM? Any especially outstanding recombinants you have to share? " My indoor garden is just getting started. I have a few seedlings getting their first true leaves, but many are just in the cotyledon stage. My plantings so far have focused on getting F2 recombinants with the Extreme Uproll feature, and a few choice exotic specimens. My further indoor plantings will look forward to what I want to accomplish next year outdoors. Next year I intend to apply some lessons learned this year. For the last few years I have been planting standardized beds 4 feet wide with four rows spaced 16 inches apart.Those rows in that picture have been recently weeded. I don't like to stoop over to weed, and kneeling is not my favorite thing either, Although sometimes kneeling is necessary in some hand weeding situations. This last year I did as much weeding as I could from a seated position using a little adjustable chair.My son avoided a lot of weeding in his tomatoes and peppers by laying down landscape cloth. That seemed to work well for him, although he found that weeds could penetrate the cheaper grade of cloth. However the 15-year cloth cost a bit more, but worked well. He grew his tomatoes and peppers in cages. Next year he is considering the use of Cattle Panels for tomato support. I will continue to use small cages for my breeder zinnia specimens.I didn't consider the use of landscape cloth in my rows, because they are so close together. For next year I am considering omitting the middle two rows and just have two rows 4 feet apart. That might make landscape cloth feasible for me, and even if I don't use the cloth, I will have better accessibility for weeding the two-row beds with 4 feet between the rows. My strategy for now is to flesh out my plans for next year's zinnia garden (including what kinds of zinnias to grow) and then use my indoor project to supply the seeds to support those plans. Your Sunflower Path and House look very inviting. Wider might be better. It looks like you have a good variety of tall sunflowers. More later. ZM
    ...See More

It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 47

Q

Comments (115)
    Hi Four, This is an older message thread (Part 47, while Part 51 is current) but I will respond anyway. Yes, in your B photo, the pollen florets are maturing and setting seeds and they probably no longer have nectar for butterflies, so you could could remove that bloom if feeding butterflies is your primary motivation. In your C photo it isn't crucial where on the stem you make the cut.. I would cut down lower on the stem because there isn't any significant advantage to leaving a lot of bare stem on your plant. If you want to make further comments, it would be better to add them to Part 51, which has only 21 comments, while this Part 47 now has well over 100 comments. ZM
    ...See More

It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 50

Q

Comments (102)
    Hi Zen, I was just reading your comment. How can you tell that photos are posted from smart phones? Someone told me when they enlarge my photos they take up their whole screen. I use my phone. It's a lot more comfortable for me. It's a samsung galexy S9. Now my pictures are starting to look a little strange,, or could it be my imagination lol. I have a pic of my basement grow room setup. Not a stock photo lol. I felt bad about putting one on here, and by the time the light bulb went off to simply delete it, the statute of limitations had already ran out on it lol. I was hitting the superstores for some Zinnia seeds, and I found this years selection very depressing. Burpee has some nice cultivars in their catalog that aren't in the stores. I'm not a Burpee fan. I think I did order 2 packets of Gomphrena seeds from them. Theirs were the best deal all around. Hey, now that would be a great genus to experiment with! You could take those plants a lot of different directions. It's a shame some of your better hybrids aren't being sold! I have 5 packets of Zinnia seeds. They're not the ideal 5 that I wanted, but they'll have to do. Zowie Yellow Flame ,( for the hummers ), Pinwheel Mix, 'Forcast', Giant Flowered Mix, Dahlia Flowered Mix. Let me repeat myself once more; just to be perfectly clear! Not my 5 most desired varieties! I love them for their colors and because they're such great butterfly magnets. FYI, the 2 Gomphrena seeds I got are 'Carmine' and 'Fireworks'. Zen, I wanted to ask you, what's the product you use to control spider mights again? I had an issue in the past and really don't want it reoccurring.. It was because I had brought some plants in from outside and I didn't recognize they were infected, then I was detained and kept away from them for a while. By the time I got back to the plants.....yuck! Ninecrow, keep up the good work with those Poinsettias! I'd enjoy seeing pictures! The whole birthing process, everything. I think it's fascinating! I think the metal halide bulb drastically throws off the color. Plants that I'm starting down here. Gomphocarpus physocarpus, Gomphocarpus fruticosa, Gomphocarpus cancellatus, Dregea sinensis, Tweedia caerulea, Tweedia solanoides, Tithonia, Senna didymobata, Mimosa pudica, Salvia coccinea, and the middle tray has seedlings of Calotropis procera. Like I've talked about before; I'm very interested in all the plant species of the subfamily Asclepiadoideae. They are the most difficult to hand pollinate because they produce pollinaria. A lot of hand pollination and hybridization does occur with tropical members of the family that are more and more being grown as houseplants mainly. Well, maybe 50 inside 50 outside. If you are lucky enough too live in a hot arid climate or a hot wet climate you can grow a lot of the tropical ones. Here in Illinois, the best I can do is grow a few of the fast growing tropical ascleps as summer annuals.
    ...See More

It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 52

Q

Comments (109)
    Hello roxy, " The soil we have is not ideal ("podzolic") so I dug it out and added compost and garden soil to help encourage them along. " I was unfamiliar with "podzolic" soil, so referred to the Wikipedia article on Podzol soil A common misconception in Australia is that your plants don't need phosphorous and apparently your soils are deficient in phosphorous. The fact is that plants do need phosphorous, as well as many other things. Zinnias are easy to grow. They come up in only a few days and develop rapidly to produce first blooms in about 6 weeks. " Unfortunately there's not a lot of in-ground space back there so may end up planting in pots, which I've never done before. Any advice there? " Fill your containers with quality potting mix. Hopefully you have MiracleGro products available "down under". Their potting mix is a known thing and zinnias do well using MiracleGro Tomato food soluble nutrients. Hopefully your water supply is not harmful to plants. I apply a foliar feed using one tablespoon (or less--it is better to use too little than too much) of soluble MiracleGro Tomato Food per gallon of water. I use the Tomato Food formula because it has more Magnesium, which is a component of chlorophyll. I anticipate that we will continue this discussion, because there are quite a few issues with gardening in Australia. It's Fall here, so it is Spring for you. And your water swirls down the drain the wrong way (grin). ZM (not associated with any product or vendor mentioned or linked)
    ...See More
  • zen_man
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Helene,

" I did actually Google the marigold question a bunch of different ways
    before posting but maybe didn't use the right search terms. "

I did a little googling and came up with this link on marigold chromosome numbers.

That would indicate that the Gem marigolds (Tagetes tenuifolia) and the African marigolds (Tagetes erecta) both have chromosome numbers of 2n=24, while the French marigolds (Tagetes patula) are tetraploid, with 2n=48. So if you cross either Gem (Signets) or African with French you will get triploid hybrids. Which could actually be a good thing. But I don't really know anything about marigolds. Except I wish I could cross them with zinnias for their better foliage.

There is the possibility that crossing the Gems or other Signets (24 chromosomes) with Africans (T. erecta--also 24 chromosomes) could yield fertile F1 24-chromosome hybrids. So that would be something you definitely should try. Because fertile F1s could yield an F2 generation, which could be very interesting, with all sorts of new gene recombinations.

" I might also get some pollen from some friends growing brighter colors and bigger flowers. "

Just be aware that zinnia pollen does not "keep" for more than an hour or two. Refrigeration might extend that, but I have never tried that. I just use my zinnia pollen very soon after picking the pollen florets.

Your Zinderellas look great. Just out of curiosity, what are those white flowers in that top photo?

ZM

(PS my zinnias also have 24 chromosomes. But I have tried the zinnia/marigold cross with no success.)

• Helene
    6 years ago

Thanks for all the info and the marigold link!

The signet marigolds I grew last year were already started plants and had no label. They were a mixture of orange, yellow and deep orange-red. Most of the seedlings from the saved seed were dark orange to red (maybe I saved seed off just the darker ones?) I got one light orange and one yellow. Unfortunately I gave away the yellow one before I realized it was yellow (my favorite) or that I would only get one yellow. It would be very cool to get a signet type in a paler yellow or cream. I grew a vanilla marigold this year, even though it is a hybrid (French I think?) I thought it might be worth crossing with a yellow signet to get something creamier or fluffier but still small flowered, beautiful foilage, citrus scented and floriferous. Next year I will probably grow a different "white" marigold variety maybe an open pollinated variety and more yellow signets

Just three of my signet marigolds from last year

Vanilla marigold with one of the signets from this year

The small white flowers in the photos are white wonder feverfew. I will be saving seeds so I can send you some. They, like marigolds have much prettier foilage than zinnias.

White wonder feverfew

The friends I have in mind to get zinnia pollen from are only a few minutes away. One is the owner of my elusive yellow marigold seedling and she grew rows and rows of zinnias I could pick from. I thought I might just pick a few flowers to bring home and use the pollen pretty much immediatly.

Is the only way to tell if seeds are infertile is to try sprouting them? Or do they look different?

Helene

Ps I would have never even thought of growing zinnias but I needed pastel flowers suitable for cutting in late August when a lot of flowers wilt in the heat or are just the wrong color. Now, I might be hooked. Super easy to grow, tons of variety and maybe fun to breed too!

Helene

• samhain10 - 5a
    6 years ago

Helene - (excuse me ZM, while I hijack your thread for a minute) - do any of your signets have the orange citrus scent or are they all lemon citrus scented? I once had some that smelled like oranges, and I'd really like seed for that again. I have piles and piles of things from which I can send you seed.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Here are a few pics of the zinnias in the tulip box - I finally took some photos despite them being too far over my head. I still have the boot on unfortunately, though, as the bone was not healed yet, according to last Thursday's x-ray. :(

I'm sort of partial to the downward-sloping petal ones. I wish I'd been able to do crosses on these, but I can try again next year using old seed and selfs from these. BTW, these are all 5 or more inch blooms - except that first one that hasn't filled out completely yet.

Alex

• Helene
    6 years ago

I smelled the flowers. For the most part, and to my nose at least the citrus scent from most of the signet plants isn't distinctly lemon. I would describe some as a hint of orange though not overwhelmingly orange. I'll check again at another time of day and maybe something will stand out. I have a friend who has been saving signet seed too (hers are yellow and lighter orange) and sniff them too. I will let you know.

Signet marigolds and bachelor buttons this morning

I especially like the top two photos of your coral colored zinnias.

Helene

• zen_man
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Helene,

" Is the only way to tell if seeds are infertile is to try sprouting them? Or do they look different? "

This has been covered in previous threads in this series, but I don't expect you to spend the countless hours needed to download and read the whole thing. I don't mind repeating, and welcome the opportunity to do so. So, yes, you can tell if zinnia seeds are fertile or infertile without sprouting them.

It is actually better to save seeds in the "green" stage, rather than wait for weeks or months for the seedhead to die and become brown. That reduces the window of danger from seed-eating birds and the danger of an extended rainy period causing pre-germination of the seeds in the seedhead. The "trick" is to determine whether the seed contains a developed embryo, or is "empty" and contains no embryo. It is relatively easy to do that with green seeds.

Notice that those zinnia petals still have color. These seeds were "plucked" from a large still developing bloom. You can plant the green seeds immediately to start a second generation or if you want to plant them later or next year, you can simply dry them for a week or two on an old newspaper or whatever is handy. You don't need the petals, so just pinch them off.

Helene, I don't know what your growing season is, but here in east central Kansas it is now too late for a full second generation of outdoor zinnias. If I planted zinnia seeds today, they would begin to bloom in about 6 weeks, but they would not have time for a full generation of pollination and multiple flowering and seed development before our killing frost sometime in October.

But if you pick green zinnia seeds in time for a full second generation, and you wish to plant them immediately, you need to breach the green seed coat so that water can get to the embryo in the seed. That is because the green seed coat is "alive" and waterproof. If you just plant the green seed it will take a couple of weeks or so for the green seedcoat to "die" and become water permeable. If you are in a hurry to get your second generation growing, you need to breach the seedcoat in some way so water can get at the embryo inside. There several ways to do that.

It is not difficult to remove the embryos altogether from the green seeds, and I have actually grown whole flats of zinnias from zinnia embryos instead of from seeds. Alex has also grown zinnias from embryos instead of seeds.

If for some reason you are saving seeds from a dead brown seed head, it is not as easy to tell if a brown seed contains an embryo by just looking at it, but you can learn to "pinch" the seed gently between your thumb and forefinger to tell if there is an embryo inside, or if it is just an empty "shell". Some zinnia seeds can "look" very fat, and still prove to be empty to a gentle pinch. The pinch test takes a little practice.

Another way to detect an embryo in a brown or green seed is to gently try to bend it. An empty seed will bend easily, but if there is an embryo inside, it will resist being bent. Be "gentle" doing the bend test -- you can "break" an embryo by bending it too severely. Again, practice makes perfect.

Sorting out good zinnia seeds seems like a tedious activity, but I have learned to enjoy it. And Alex has expressed a similar opinion. Enjoy your zinnia seeds. You could think of that as "Zen".

ZM

• Helene
    6 years ago

Thanks for again so generously sharing your knowledge!

i looked back at bits and pieces of a few of the earlier episodes but it was a bit overwhelming. Maybe a winter reading marathon is in my future. Many of the photos don't work in the older parts also which makes it a a little harder to get through.

The zinnias you are breeding are stunning. Some are so elegant which isn't a word one normally thinks of to describe zinnias. As this summer I am focussed on growing flowers for my daughters wedding the elegant ones really stand out.

I am in zone 6 and have possibly till sometime in October before frost. I probably won't be able to do any cross pollinating till after the wedding (since I will pick everything for that) so, hopefully that leaves just enough time for seeds to develop.

Quite a pale Zinderella lilac. I like the pink centre

If you would like to add any of the varieties I am growing to your gene pool let me know and I'll do my best to save some seeds for you.

Helene

• zen_man
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Alex,

" I'm sort of partial to the downward-sloping petal ones. "

I am too. The down-sloping petals help the bloom to fill up the "sphere". So many zinnias have all of their petals up-sloping, like this one.

Incidentally, that nectar drinker was a day-flying moth of some sort. Apparently it is a bee mimic. I have noticed several species of day-flying moths in with the butterflies and bees.

Your tulip box must be an excellent place for zinnias to grow, despite its inconvenient location for you. Have they given you any estimate of how much longer you will need to keep that "boot" on? Is the break still painful? Or is the pain now an "only when you laugh" thing? More later.

ZM

• samhain10 - 5a
    6 years ago

The tulip box apparently is a good place for zinnias, but I won't be planting them there next year - sorry, zinnias. I'll put in something that I don't plan to hybridize.

Well, there's good news and bad news. The good news is I am no longer in the boot. The bad news is the break isn't completely filled in yet, so I'm in an ankle brace. Mostly no pain from the break, but the muscles in the ankle and foot are still sore. I've got some weeks to go, I guess.

Here's one of my lemon yellows from a couple days ago:

Alex

• samhain10 - 5a
    6 years ago

Zinnia bed during the eclipse. Unfortunately don't have the proper density filters to risk taking a photo of the eclipse itself over the zinnia bed. Could damage the camera without the right filter. (I did have the special glasses so I could at least look at it, though. We got 80% eclipse here.)

Alex

• zen_man
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Alex,

I viewed our eclipse through the special glasses and a thin cloud haze. We had nearly 100% but not quite. But the haze dulled the corona detail. It did get pretty dark, and surprisingly (to me) the temperature dropped off noticeably. It got surprisingly cool. I had no idea that our temperature was so quickly responsive to sunlight.

I took several garden pictures before the eclipse, and this is one of them.

Those are actually some of my "breeder" zinnias, although they have a lot of Burpeeana Giants "blood" in them. But they have longer, thinner petals than usual. Their plants are sprawling, courtesy of our Kansas winds. Those blooms are sub-5-inch, so they aren't any competition to your large zinnias. Actually, this has been a disappointing year for me in the "big zinnia" department. Hopefully next year will be better. This Winter I think I should go through my zinnia seeds picking out extra large seeds to plant outdoors next year.

Surprise, surprise. We had over 9 inches of rain last night. I slept through it. I shouldn't have to run the lawn sprinkler on my zinnias for several days. More later.

ZM

• samhain10 - 5a
    6 years ago

9 inches? Nine inches??? That's rather a lot of rain over the course of the evening. Surprised you didn't need a boat to get out to the garden.

Actually, this has been a disappointing year for me in the "big zinnia" department. Hopefully next year will be better.

Oh, you probably have been listening to my complaining too much. The size is not that important, after all. That's not to say that I don't intend to try to pass the 6 " mark. :)

I noticed the temperature drop as well during the eclipse - it was sort of spooky.

Alex

• zen_man
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Helene,

" i looked back at bits and pieces of a few of the earlier episodes but it
    was a bit overwhelming. Maybe a winter reading marathon is in my
    future. Many of the photos don't work in the older parts also which
    makes it a a little harder to get through. "

Yes, that is unfortunate that Photobucket chose to kidnap those photos. I would have been willing to change my account to the version that supports showing them, but Photobucket now wants $399.99 per year to show them, and that is way too much. My current Photobucket account is the "free" 2.2GB version, of which I am actually using only 17% of that. I considered uploading my originals to GardenWeb (Houz) to replace the Photobucket "Gotcha" screens, but Houzz no longer has those messages editable, so that isn't an option. And it would be quite tedious to determine which of my photos go into which of the GardenWeb spots. I will "throw in" a few of my photos from that era of the startup messages.

You might have noticed that all of those were some of my original scabious hybrids, all grown in the Augusta, Maine area. Incidentally, your photo of that pale lilac Zinderella is "scrumptious", as my Mother would say. More later.

ZM

• zen_man
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Alex,

" Oh, you probably have been listening to my complaining too much. The
    size is not that important, after all. That's not to say that I don't
    intend to try to pass the 6 " mark. :) "

When I first decided to breed zinnias years ago, my first intention was simply to select for larger blooms and intercross them and go for the largest blooms possible. When I was a kid, I saw claims for 9-inch zinnias in seed catalogs. I think that was in the ancient Shumways catalogs, which were quaintly illustrated in ink drawings.

I used to see pictures of whole fields of zinnias being grown for commercial seed production and, knowing that zinnias are naturally variable, I could easily imagine that there might be at least a few 9-inch blooms in there somewhere. And I could even justify the 9-inch catalog claims if their seeds came from a field in which at least some 9-inch zinnia blooms occurred.

It may be completely unrealistic, but bloom size is always a criterion for me. In past years I have had a few blooms slightly more than 7 inches in diameter, at least in some orientations of the ruler, like this one. (Its bloom was not perfectly "round".)

I had a few specimens like that. I referred to them as "dinosaur" zinnias, or "dinos" for short. With the idea that there may have been prehistoric zinnias, and some of them might have been huge. My Dino zinnias were borderline between single and double, and their centers were unexpectedly smallish. When shucking their seeds you could hardly believe how smallish their central cone was. But their stigmas were huge. They actually were not particularly attractive despite their size. But I felt they had breeding potential, which has yet to be proved.

This Winter I will be going through my seeds picking out the bigger, longer seeds. Seed catalogs no longer mention a 9-inch size for zinnias (some dahlias exceed that), but I still think 9-inch zinnias are a genetic possibility. In the meantime, back to reality in the Whirligig patch.

Looks like I need to hoe some grass. Incidentally, the "Dinos{ had some Whirligig "blood". More later. I think that this year you are the big zinnia "queen". But I hope to give you some credible competition next year.

ZM

• samhain10 - 5a
    6 years ago

I was given a root of one of those "dinner plate" dahlias - very beautiful...and very heavy head which the stems could hardly hold up. In fact, I lost more than a couple of flowers because of it. Those things definitely need staking all the way up to the bloom. Not sure I want to go to that much trouble, but we'll see next year.

Those are some pretty whirligigs. Didn't get much in the way of very attractive bold bi-colors this year, other than the ones that do the gradually color change. You know what I mean; none of them have the stark bands of color, though there may be more than one color there. My friends that I gave seed to did get a nice one, that I have gathered seed from, so that's something.

Actually, all in all, I'm pretty happy with what I got this year, though most of the good ones weren't from my star lotus of last year. This could have been because most of those plants were at the end of the bed that got devastated by slugs early on and never recovered. I'm still getting a lot of damage, but the good plants have grown tall and out of the slug's reach, I guess, if that makes sense. At least, the slugs don't seem to be climbing up to the top of stems, but are keeping to the lower leaves.

I might have had less problems if I'd been able to keep up the application of diatomaceous earth, but I ran into a major glitch with my gardening in general, as you may recall. Ah, well - next year.

Alex

• zen_man
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Alex,

" ...though most of the good ones weren't from my star lotus of last year.
    This could have been because most of those plants were at the end of the
    bed that got devastated by slugs early on and never recovered. I'm
    still getting a lot of damage, but the good plants have grown tall and
    out of the slug's reach, I guess, if that makes sense "

It might make sense, although I never thought about that aspect of slug damage. I suppose higher up on a plant would be more difficult for them to reach. I don't remember whether we discussed this before, but you do know about Sluggo slug bait, don't you? I have found it to be effective and safe to use against our slugs and snails.

" I might have had less problems if I'd been able to keep up the
    application of diatomaceous earth, but I ran into a major glitch with my
    gardening in general, as you may recall. "

I don't use diatomaceous earth, because I doubt its effectiveness, and have seen some information that would indicate diatomaceous earth could be a health hazard and, through a technicality, has avoided being labeled and treated as such. To me, the phrase "food grade diatomaceous earth" is not that different from speaking of "food grade asbestos".

" Those things definitely need staking all the way up to the bloom. "

That's why I don't grow dahlias. It's one thing to have big blooms, but not being able to support them is kind of pathetic.

Here is another plant in my Whirligig patch (my South Garden).

I like it when the zinnia plants are bushy enough to have several blooms. Some of my Whirligigs have semi-large blooms. These were two-year-old seeds originally grown in Tanzania and sold by Stokes Seeds (a Canadian seed company). I tend to "hoard" seeds. More later. I wonder if we are eventually going to get some rain clouds from the remnants of tropical storm Harvey up here in Kansas.

ZM

• samhain10 - 5a
    6 years ago

I bet you're getting some rain now, aren't you, ZM? It's affecting us - or some other system has blown in - because it's drizzly here now. And nighttime temps are cooler; fall is coming.

Yes, I did try Sluggo, though my experience with it was less than happy - in fact it was disaster! Both the ferals and the raccoons - and maybe the possums - were attracted to the stuff and wrecked my garden in all the areas I had sprinkled it. And I know for a fact that it was the Sluggo that attracted them, because I actually saw one of the ferals licking it. I assume it wasn't poisonous, since he's still around today. The raccoons were the worst, however, because they dug holes in all the areas, uprooting plants. And, again, I knew it was raccoons because I saw them. I was forced to replant from seed that year. Fortunately it was early enough that I still got a zinnia crop. Don't think I'd used it anywhere but around the zinnias. Oh, wait - and the squash. Well, the squash was a bust that year too, but more from squash bugs. :(

I'm a seed hoarder, too. I should look back through my files and see if I can find some of the early lotus seeds to add to next year's mix.

Later, Alex

• zen_man
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Alex,

" Both the ferals and the raccoons - and maybe the possums - were
    attracted to the stuff and wrecked my garden in all the areas I had
    sprinkled it. "

I had forgotten about your experience with Sluggo. Well, at least it was non-toxic, and no wildlife was harmed. Maybe even benefited, with a little extra iron in their diet. Well, that limits your options. I guess it's not possible to train your ferals to eat slugs. There may be a spray, but I don't know what it might be. Slugs wont cross sand because it gets stuck to them and I use a sand mulch routinely to prevent damage from earwigs and pillbugs. I literally buy sand by the truckload, for use as a mulch and a soil amendment.

One thing you might experiment with would be copper foil. Slugs won't cross metallic copper because it does some weird electrochemical thing to their wet "foot". For that reason, some gardeners use copper foil tape as a slug repellant.

I guess you might experiment with wrapping a band of copper tape around the main stem of a zinnia plant. I've never used it, because a sand mulch works for me and is simpler to apply and acts as a soil amendment. Copper is a trace element that plants use. Hopefully raccoons don't have a voracious appetite for metallic copper.

This is one of my Whirligigs that I like.

And this is one of my Whirligigs that a butterfly likes.
    I should know the name of that butterfly, because we have a lot of them. But I would have to refer to my butterfly book. We have had a good variety of butterflies this year, including monarchs and viceroys and several kinds of big swallowtails. But that guy was "posing" for me, so I had to take his picture. Maybe it's a her. I am no expert on butterflies.

" I bet you're getting some rain now, aren't you, ZM? It's affecting us -
    or some other system has blown in - because it's drizzly here now. "

We got only a sprinkle from that weather system. And there is no rain in our 7-day forecast. Fortunately it is still wet from our 9-inch-plus recent downpour. More later.

ZM (not associated with any product or vendor mentioned or linked)

• samhain10 - 5a
    6 years ago

I had to go look it up - in my head, I was hearing Painted Admiral, but it's Painted Lady. There is also a Red Admiral, but this one's the Lady.

• (Jay/Jax FL/Zone 9a)
    6 years ago

samhain10 and zen_man thanks for your discussions of dark flowers! i'm obsessed with dark flowers, especially browns, and the elusive blue. don't think zinnias are right for the latter pH-wise (or whatever the factor is) but i might have to try for the former! thinking of crossing my darkest purple with my oranges and reds and see what i get next year c:

oh and the purplish + yellowish combination = black makes sense to me. two different pigments are responsible for those shades, if you combine both the traits they add together to get a darker color i think. it's also a matter of "looking black", something can actually be lighter than a dark purple and still look blackish because of it's hue being less purple or any single bright color... if that makes sense. it's kinda how a cool more grayish brown can look more like black than a darker rich brown does, despite the latter being closer in shade.

--

i havent really bred any zinnias but i've been saving seed from several generations now all planted at my mailbox. what started off as a wide range of colors now is simply the purple - pink shades but i've actually found the branching and fungal resistance better and i have no idea why, maybe plant epigenetics are a thing? i just remember last year they were all dead by this time but theyre still going strong i've seen spots for a few months but they really haven't spread and actually seem to have gotten better somehow.

edit: also hope this isnt off-topic but if anyone knows of any websites or other resources for reading into the basics of plant breeding and genetics i'd be very interested! i like fiddling with native plants and want to make some more compact and different colored varieties.

• bella rosa
    6 years ago

Thank you everyone for positing pics of your zinnias and marigolds. I planted a bunch of zinnias around our mailbox and planted marigolds at the base. I love the look, but wish that there were more red zinnias in the mix. It's mostly yellow, coral, light/medium pink, a few whites,, orange and a sprinkling of reds. I think the mix was "cut and come again" and "state fair". Here's a few pics:

These pics were taken around 2 weeks ago.

Anyone have any recommendations for a really "full" and big zinnia? Red, would be preferred, but really all of the colors are beautiful. :-)

• zen_man
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello Jay/Jax

I posted photos of some of my darker colored zinnias in this thread back on July 15, 2017 at 9:51am. One of my zinnia breeding goals is a "black" zinnia and I have grown some Z. haageana based specimens in an effort to get a really dark purple color. This was one of my indoor-grown "Jazzy" specimens last Winter.

It had a deeper purple than any of my Z. hybrida specimens, and I made some efforts to cross it with larger zinnias. I won't know whether any of those were successful until this Winter. I didn't want to risk the seeds outside.

" I'm obsessed with dark flowers, especially browns, and the elusive blue.
    don't think zinnias are right for the latter pH-wise (or whatever the
    factor is) but i might have to try for the former! thinking of crossing
    my darkest purple with my oranges and reds and see what i get next year. "

Blue is highly unlikely and pH is not a color determinant in zinnias. Some of the Z. haageanas show that combining orange or yellow with lavender or purple can produce some brownish combinations. This bloom occurred a few years ago in my Persian Carpet planting.

I agree with you that getting a really dark purple is the key to getting a "black" zinnia. And the darkest purples I have seen have been in the Z. haageanas (Persian Carpet and the newer Jazzy). That is why I have tried to make my own Z. hybrida x Z. haageana crosses.

" ...but if anyone knows of any websites or other resources for reading into
    the basics of plant breeding and genetics i'd be very interested! i like
    fiddling with native plants and want to make some more compact and
    different colored varieties. "

Well, there is this series of message threads on zinnia breeding here, and there are similar message threads on Dave's Garden and the National Garden Association. There are several books on the subjects of plant breeding and genetics, and one is Plant Breeding for the Home Gardener by Joseph Tychonievich. Joseph Tychonievich has participated here in a previous thread of this "it can be fun to breed your own Zinnias" message series.

Amazon offers a lot of books on the subjects of plant breeding and genetics, and many of them have an online "Look Inside" feature that lets you read some pages of the book, which can help you make up your mind on whether you want to buy the book or not.

• samhain10 - 5a
    6 years ago

Jay/Jax - I was reviewing in my head whether any of my zinnias have ever been sort of brown, but I've only been doing this zinnia breeding for 4 years. Don't remember anything but some light beiges, which were really more muddy pinks. And as far as dark colors, the darkest have always been those deep red-purples, but never really very dark. ZM's z. haageana is the darkest I've seen, and I look forward with interest to what comes of his crosses between it and the larger z. hybridas.

On the subject of books, Plant Breeding for the Home Gardener by Joseph Tychonievich that ZM mentioned is an interesting read. Joseph writes well and with enthusiasm about a subject that is obviously dear to his heart. I would say that more important than any detailed specific "how-tos" - though there is some of that - he offered me new insight in how to approach hybridizing. Hard to describe what I mean exactly, but it comes down to - he changed my way of thinking, which is always a valuable occurrence.

Later, Alex

• samhain10 - 5a
    6 years ago

ZM - off subject: where do I look for those probability graphs again? I've got an event coming up end of month or into Oct - would like to study the weather probabilities.

• zen_man
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Alex,

Without knowing what specific info you are looking for, this is a link to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Data Tools

You can explore from there. If you can tell me specifically what info you are looking for, I might be able to help.

ZM

• zen_man
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello bella rosa,

" ...wish that there were more red zinnias in the mix. ...Anyone have any recommendations for a really "full" and big zinnia? Red,
    would be preferred, but really all of the colors are beautiful. "

Your top photo looks like a good specimen. Since it doesn't have any pollen, you could put pollen on it from some of your other zinnias to create some hybrid seeds to use next year.

Zinnia Big Red would be one variety to consider. It is an older variety, and probably could be considered an heirloom zinnia.

For "modern" cutflower type big zinnias, Benary's Giant Deep Red would be a good candidate. For an even "deeper" red, Benary's Giant Wine would be worthy of consideration. For a "brighter" red, Benary's Giant Scarlet could fill the bill. If you prefer cactus flowered zinnias (I do), Zinnia Giant Cactus Red would be worth a try.

I like to breed different flower forms of zinnias, including unusual red ones, like this "spider flowered" cactus variant.

Tubular petals offer a variety of different forms, like this "Razzle Dazzle"..
    Really full cactus flowered zinnias can look nice.
    White tipped petals can add a different look.
    By growing several varieties of red zinnias, and making crosses between them, you could create your very own red zinnia to your preferred specifications. As the title of this message thread suggests, it can be fun to breed your own zinnias. And that can be as simple as just saving seeds from your favorite zinnias.

• bella rosa
    6 years ago

ZM, thank you so much for the great suggestions and advice. I'll have to look into the varieties you mentioned.

• samhain10 - 5a
    6 years ago

Bella rosa - that last thing hZM just said - save the seeds from the specific flowers you like in that mailbox planting now. That top one that ZM pointed out is particularly nice, and could yield you some similar reds next year. I have a cactus-flowered preference myself, but I've found cactus mixed with whirlgig genes can yield some pretty results:

These are all pretty big guys - at least 5". None of them was precisely what I was striving for, but that's part of the fun. You don't know what you're going to get - it's a surprise present opening out there in your garden when you have a new bloom! And you don't necessarily have to do the hybridizing yourself; you can plant things side by side and let the bees do it for you. Though, if you want some specific results, you may have to lend a hand. :)

Save seed from this year's crop just so you know you can do it.

Alex

• bella rosa
    6 years ago

Alex, those are beautiful zinnias! When is a good time to save the seeds?

• Helene
    6 years ago

If you scroll up to ZM's post from August 12 he describes in great detail all about seed saving for zinnias including timing.

• samhain10 - 5a
    6 years ago

Helene - you took the words right out of my mouth. :) Oh, and thank you kindly, bella rosa, for your compliment on my zinnias!

- Alex

• zen_man
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Alex, you are beating me at my own game !!! Those are excellent zinnias, and since the probabilities are that at least some of their seeds will produce even finer zinnias, I have got to up my game a bunch just to stay up with you next year. But, just so you know, I am actually very proud of you. And a little bit awestruck.

ZM

• bella rosa
    6 years ago

Helene, thank you, I'll have to read the Aug 12th post. I see that growing (and breeding) your own zinnias can become an addiction. :-)

• Helene
    6 years ago

As a few of you have discussed zinnias as a cut flower and potential to be showy and florist material, I thought I might share my perspective.

This summer, I grew a few zinnia varieties specifically to produce blooms to be used as cut flowers for my daughter's wedding. She wanted a pastel color theme of various shades of pink for a late august wedding. Without an established rose garden in place, I looked for alternatives that would create the soft and romantic look she wanted that would be easy to grow, and also stand up to late summer heat. I found a number zinnias that seemed promising as I had read online that zinnias make great cut flowers (Martha Stewart weddings and Floret flowers). After spending the summer with these versatile, varied and beautiful blooms, and practicing arranging them countless times with a variety of other foliage and flowers, I definitely think that zinnias deserve a place in both starring and supporting roles in flower arrangements. Despite a number of the plants I grew not producing flowers true to type (found this thread as I tried to figure out why that might be) I had tons of beautiful Oklahoma and Zinderella zinnia flowers for the bouquets. It turns out that the zinderellas are varied in form and color, and provide particularly lovely material for arrangements. The Oklahoma salmon also seemed to produce two flower types, pale orange with a couple layers of larger petals and a deeper coral color with many many layers of smaller petals, (and one rogue plant with golden yellow flowers.) Beyond that, the Zinnias a number of you are breeding are so gorgeous any florist would be lucky to include them in their designs.

OK Salmon Zinnia

OK Salmon and Zinderella Zinnias with pink dahlias, blackberry foilage.

I also grew some large dahlias (around 8") and found the stems quite sturdy and not in need of staking at all, though perhaps that was at least in part due to the particularly good weather this season. Labyrinth and Cafe au Lait were the largest I grew but only one white variety needed staking (not sure type as it was a rescue). Incidentally one of the larger, particularly nice Oklahoma salmon Zinnias was mistaken for a Dahlia.

Labyrinth Dahlia

Cafe Au Lait Dahlia

Helene

• bella rosa
    6 years ago

Beautiful flowers, Helene! The dahlias are stunning.

• samhain10 - 5a
    6 years ago

Helene - nice! I love the addition of the blackberry foliage. I used to add stuff like that to my arrangements. Wild grasses were a particular favorite addition as we have such a variety here. That's a stunning color in that Cafe Au Lait. Maybe it was just the location and the fact that my dahlia was in a pot instead of the ground that made the heads so weak. I'll hang on to it for another season and try it again - but I'm keeping the stakes ready. :)Alex

• samhain10 - 5a
    6 years ago

ZM -

Without knowing what specific info you are looking for, this is a link to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Data Tools

You can explore from there. If you can tell me specifically what info you are looking for, I might be able to help.What?
    You can't read my mind yet? :) Sorry about that. When I switched to the
    new PC, I lost some of my bookmarks. The graph I'm referring to was
    something you linked me to over a year ago which had probability
    percentages of frost dates in whatever area is closest to you.
    Serendipitously, after your reply I went to check the weather at my
    weather underground site (www.wunderground.com) and saw they'd changed
    their format. My beloved graph was gone! I loved that thing with all the
    little different colored wavy lines and the tiny arrows showing wind
    direction, and the blue or purple blocky spikes - color depending on
    whether rain or snow. Fortunately, it wasn't really gone, though they
    did change their format. And in looking for it, I found a calendar I'd
    forgotten about that gives - record and average - highs and lows for the
    rest of the month past the usual 10 days of predictions. It's all a crapshoot anyway, considering how variable the weather has been, but this is something to go on.

just so you know, I am actually very proud of you. And a little bit awestruck.
    Aw gee, now you're making me blush. Thank you, zensama.

Namaste,

Alex

• Helene
    6 years ago

Alex,

Here is a photo of a few of my dahlias. I grew a few in the garden too but mostly in pots.

The pots ranged in size (around 2 gallons and up) and almost all the tubers I planted were quite small, especially the cafe au lait. The huge clump of white dahlias I had did flop over a lot but I'm not sure if clump size is a factor. The small dahlia in the mixed planter on the right has lovely bronze leaves and is well suited to pots. I don't think it would need staking regardless of weather. It is called Georgia peach.

Thanks for the compliments!

Helene

• zen_man
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Helene,

You were lucky your Zinderellas turned out OK. Other people have not been so lucky with them. I plan to grow a whole bed of them next year, with the expectancy of very heavy culling. The good ones are quite good, and quite worthy of crossing with other zinnias.

Your closeup of the Labyrinth Dahlia is inspiring. I totally like that flowerform, and would be very pleased to breed a zinnia that looked like that. I have had dahlia flowered zinnias in the past that had slight hints of petals like that. (You probably already know that the photos here can be seen better by clicking on them and then hitting your F11 key to hide your browser's headings. Hit F11 again to get your headings back. I sometimes forget to do that.)

But so far my zinnias have produced nothing really close to the flower form of your Labyrinth Dahlia. It is something for me to aspire to.

I can't help but think that your dahlias would do better in bigger pots. Much bigger pots. But I am no one to talk. Some of my indoor zinnias have been subjected to ridiculously small pots.

They did get re-potted soon after that picture. Incidentally, it doesn't help much to click on that picture, because tall-format (portrait format) pictures are limited by the height of the screen, which is itself almost always horizontal (landscape) format. I have noticed that a lot of the smart phone pictures that are posted here tend to be tall portrait format, which unfortunately limits their expanded view. My photo was not a phone picture, but it was vertical format because the subject was vertical format. And a lot of the phone photos are like that, too.

Your dahlias have provided me with goals for new zinnias. I do think your dahlias deserve larger pots or containers. But you have done remarkably well with the pots that you have.

ZM

• Helene
    6 years ago

My seed source for the zinderellas was Swallowtail seeds. Many of the first blooms were singles and initially I thought it might be a problem with the seed source. However I doubt that is the case now with what I have read online. I planted a whole bunch more July 7 when I thought I wouldn't have enough good ones but those are just starting to bloom now. I have found many misshapen flowers, often on the same plant as perfect blossoms, any reason why that might be?

This plant had perfect blooms earlier though may also have had misshapen blooms initially.

Your scabiosa zinnias are stunning but since I can't grow those I will try more zinderellas next year as well as another type or two of scabiosa zinnias, maybe a mix. Plus, I will likely some of the seeds I save.

The camera does not do the labyrinth dahlia justice. Some flowers have more yellow.

labyrinth dahlia -horizontal version

I suggest for true inspiration you grow one. The color just about glows and is truly luscious. I wouldn't have grown it except my husband brought it home one day because the photo on the package looked "pink." If you get anywhere remotely close to it with a zinnia you will have a winner for sure. Of course you have many winners already and I, along with many others I'm sure, look forward to seeing the results of your new goals.

I agree with you on the skimpy pots. My wedding flower project got a bit out of hand in regards to scale. Without enough ground prepared and concerns about protection from deer and bad weather I planted a lot in pots. After running out of my second huge batch of soil mix, not all plants got equal opportunity as far as pot size. I hadn't grown many dahlias before and many of the tubers were very very small so I made do and hoped something would turn out. Everything seemed to do ok even though they might have done even better in bigger pots. Next year the dahlias will get bigger pots and more garden space maybe too.

Here is a pretty weird OK salmon. It basically grew a second flower out the top of the center of the first flower.

Helene

• ninecrow
    6 years ago

Zen Man
    Are You Going To Start Your Inside Growing Soon?

The Tubey's and The Spider Forms Are The Ones I'm Keeping My Eye On As They Fascinate Me
    Thanks

• samhain10 - 5a
    6 years ago

Hey, ninecrow - how's it going?

ZM - I do think your dahlias deserve larger pots or containers. Well of course they do, silly, but also of course she already used all the bigger pots, and the soil to put in them. Hello-o-o - there was a wedding, remember? Stretched to the max, she was, I reckon.
    BTW - How did the wedding go, Helene? Hope all went according to plan - or, at least (since I personally haven't had anything go according to plan in, like, FOREVER), as well as could be hoped. And, also BTW, you have sold me on the Georgia Peach dahlia! Love that dark foliage; it would be great on the patio as an accent, and the flowers are small, so no staking.
    Well, it's getting to be fall here apparently. Sigh. Why do I feel like I missed the entire summer?

Alex, the Forlorn

• zen_man
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Alex, the Forlorn

Namaste to you, too.

What a nice thing to say.

It is a kind of forlorn time of year. My zinnias are looking a bit forlorn, what with all this cool weather, and downright cold near-record nights we have been having. We are definitely in the endgame zinnia-wise here in east-central Kansas. I have gathered a few seeds, and am preparing to spray some of my breeders with systemic fungicide. It is meteorological Fall, and it feels like it. Apparently the birds feel it, too. The majority of our hummingbirds have recently migrated south, although both feeders are still relatively busy. I haven't seen a Monarch in days, but other butterflies are still numerous.

My Fall cleanup is in progress, and I am doing a few pre-Spring preparations in some of the outdoors beds. I hope to get off to a stronger early start next Spring than I did this year. Busy, busy. More later.

Namaste,

ZM

• zen_man
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello Ninecrow,

" Are You Going To Start Your Inside Growing Soon? "

No, that won't be until late October or early November. I have two fairly large (for me) outdoors gardens that require a lot of work all the time, and especially in the Fall. I don't want any diseases or pests to Winter over in dead zinnias, so I am currently busy sacking up zinnia culls in trash bags for a trip to the landfill.

" The Tubey's and The Spider Forms Are The Ones I'm Keeping My Eye On As They Fascinate Me "

They fascinate me, too. I hope to make some more progress in that area in my indoor gardening phase this Winter.

ZM

• Helene
    6 years ago

Alex, As it would be easy for me to go on and on about the wedding, I will try and be brief.

The wedding was an amazing and magical day. Rustic historic hall and beach- perfect setting; Food- beautiful, delicious and plentiful; Music- wonderful band; Weather- sunny and warm, most of the smoke from the wildfires lifted that day! Flowers- gorgeous and abundant- Zinnias, Dahlias, Bachelor buttons, feverfew, snapdragons, cosmos, blushing Susie vine, sunflowers and tons more; Bridesmaid's dresses (handmade by me)- lovely and simple that they can wear again, Helpers- my mom, bridesmaids and many others helped it all come together; Wedding dress (handmade by me)- finished in time and stunning with an incredible flow for walking down the aisle and dancing; guests- loving people from near and far; Bride and groom- happy and surrounded by family and friends.

Bridesmaids flowers were a mixture white flowers, dusty miller and a few of the palest Zinderella zinnias in each bouquet. Brides bouquet was larger and colorful with dalmatian peach foxglove, cherry caramel phlox, Chantilly snaps, the best Zinnias and Dahlias, and more.

We decorated beach area with potted plants- sunflower, Labyrinth dahlia, Collarette cosmos, blushing Susie vines and mixed containers.

Inside we used cut flowers reminiscent of a cottage flower garden, again mostly in pinks and peaches but with a sprinkling of other colors, in mixed glass vases and jars in tables and big steel buckets on stage. The cake was also decorated with edible flowers and herbs; pinks, calendula, pansies and lavender. I don't have the best picture of the whole room though it turned out very pretty. I think the photographer got some better pictures but I haven't seen those yet.

Helene

• samhain10 - 5a
    6 years ago

Helene - absolutely LOVE it!!! What a setting, and the cottage flower garden theme is perfect for it. Apparently the gods smiled upon it as well, judging by the beautiful sunshine. Congratulations to the newly wedded couple - and to you, for all your hard work - well done! If you post an Ideabook here at Houzz, including some closeups, I'd like to see them. You didn't include closeups of the dresses, which I'd want to see.

Alex

• samhain10 - 5a
    6 years ago

ZM - once again I'll try to post a video. It's of the Patio Garden this year and the hoards of monarchs that came to visit the liatris ligulistylis. I didn't realize the liatris would grow that tall. I'll move them to the back of the borders in the spring.

The season is winding down now. We have some days of sun following our 3 days of on/off rain, so I'll go out and finish gathering what seed I intend to pick.

Alex

• zen_man
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow, Alex,

You are full of surprises. Great video of butterflies (those do look like Monarchs) and I was amused by the audio about the feral cats being in the way. I intend to learn about video myself.

ZM

• zen_man
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello everyone,

We are beyond the 100-message count here, so I am continuing this message thread over at It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 44

I hope to see you all over there.

ZM

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath