SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imjustinjk

Small apartment furniture layout help!?

Justin James
6 years ago

The apartment that I'm moving into is a bit over 600 square feet. It's classified as a 1 bedroom, but it's a glorified studio with a divider wall.

I think that I've for the most part figured out the layout of the apartment. My only question would be placing a couple extra pieces, but I don't want to make the place super cluttered! The dividing wall leaves two points of entry into the bedroom area from the living room. There's one as you enter the apartment, and one against the far, exterior wall. I was thinking that I would close off the walk-thru space on the far side of the apartment with a wardrobe to add a little extra storage since there's only one closet space. I don't really want to put a dresser in there, but I might if I need it. The other thing I wanted to add was a mobile kitchen cart at the end of the island for extra eating space. I was thinking some roughly the same height as the counters, to extend the existing island since there's a sink right in the middle of the island. I don't want a dining set as I've elected to purchase bar stools.

Sorry for the rough/juvenile layout. I can't find the layout that the leasing agent emailed me - I just have a printed one. This isn't super perfect or symmetrical, but those are the dimensions of the living and bedroom spaces.

This brimnes wardrobe in white would fit between the exterior wall and dividing wall. I was thinking I could paint the back with chalkboard paint, add art, or maybe some sort of decorative shelving to kind of make a full wall in the living room

I was thinking of a kitchen cart like this Stenstorp piece at IKEA. My cabinets and counters are a glossy white.

Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated! I've never lived in a space this small. I've always lived just outside of the city in larger apartments, but now that I'll be moving to a central downtown area I can't afford as much space!

Comments (8)