SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steven_steinberg

Thoughts on kitchen layout for small NYC apartment.

Steven Steinberg
6 years ago

So after spending countless nights staring at the virtually empty and very small space that is set to be my family's kitchen for some years to come I've decided to ask for some assistance. Would love to know your thoughts on the potential layout options, Ignore upper cabinets for now. Here it goes. After knocking down some walls we'll have about a 6 x 9'7" space to work with. The kitchen is just to the left as you enter the apartment and will be open to the foyer/living/dining room and hall that leads to the bedrooms. The two designs we are grappling with are a galley vs an L-shaped kitchen with a peninsula. I know a lot of folks cringe at the thought of a small galley kitchen but in this case it would give us plenty of under counter storage that we won't get otherwise. It would also allow us to have a nice clean separation between the kitchen and the rest of the relatively small living space. There will likely be 40-42" between the two runs of cabinets which, while not super narrow, will still make it challenging for someone (which will likely be one of two young children) to get to the fridge if anyone else is already there preparing a meal. Additionally, in order to get all the appliances on one wall (a must with this galley option) the sink will be on the small side, likely 18* with a 21" cabinet underneath. What I like most about the L-shaped design is that it allows us to have functional counter space on either side of the oven and the sink while giving us a larger sink and larger cabinet underneath. The two down sides of this plan are that it seems cramped to me, with the sink and oven caddy corner to each other, and finally, the cost. I was given estimates that this design would be almost double the cost of the galley. It's nice but is it worth double the cost? Initial thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to post some images of the drawings.

Comments (41)