SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cwalen_gw

Thoughts on this small kitchen layout?

cwalen
11 years ago

After 4 years we are finally renovating the dated galley kitchen in our 1930's Cape Cod. We can't really add an addition as the lot isn't condusive to it (we sit very far back on our lot and have a tiny backyard). So we are going to remove one whole wall and remove part of another wall between the kitchen and the LR. We have a rather big LR, with the main living area and then a 'nook' as we call it, that is fairly unused. A piano and a bookshelf sit in this very under utilized space.

My problem with the current kitchen are the dated cabinets, laminate surfaces and the old appliances. The major problem, though, is that the kitchen is very closed in. I want to open it up somewhat to the living space and entertaining is a complete nightmare because everyone congregates to my narrow, galley kitchen.

So we'd like to replace cabinets, upgrade to granite, remove tile and refinish the hardwooods underneath to match the rest of the house, and knock out a wall creating - gasp - a peninsula. I want a place where my kiddos (2 and 3) can eat breakfast with me without them being in the sunroom where we have a table setup.

Thoughts on this flow so far?

It is from KD at Lowe's. I want to keep appliances/plumbing where they are to keep costs down.

Comments (9)