SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovesthebluewaters

Thoughts on layout of remodeled kitchen

lovesthebluewaters
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We bought this house last Spring to be closer to downtown & left a house we built with a perfect kitchen. I knew this kitchen was too small because it is not wide enough for bar stools at the island, but a structural engineer said we could remove the wall between the kitchen & laundry room, which is what we're now planning. (laundry room will be moved upstairs where our bedrooms are, which I'm very excited about as well!)

It will remain a u-shaped kitchen. However, my corner pantry is being removed, which I was a little unsure about but now am ok. My kitchen designer plans two large pantry cabinets instead. On the right wall, I currently have a corner pantry, fridge, microwave area & double ovens. I am gaining a large section of wall that the laundry sink is currently on the other side of, but I'm losing part of that back because we're putting a "boot bench" at the garage door entry because I'm losing the "mud room" area in the laundry to open up the space to the kitchen.

My big "dilemma" is that I really want to work in a beverage center with wine fridge on that right wall. In order to do that and still have TWO standing pantry cabs, I have to give up my double ovens & go for a 48" range with double ovens instead. I like the looks of the double range, but not only does it add huge cost to the appliance budget, it eliminates the 36" deep drawers I otherwise would have had under my cooktop. The plan is to have 30" wide drawers on either side, which, hopefully, will work as well. Part of me thinks I'm trying to fit too much into the kitchen & I should just forget about the beverage center & put double ovens there. Another option would be to lose the 2nd pantry and put double ovens there with the beverage center beside them, but then I'm afraid I'd give up major storage space for a beverage center that's mainly just "bling." If I eliminate the beverage center on the right wall, I could put the beverage cooler on the end of the left side where the trash compactor currently is planned & move the trash compactor to the island.

I will try to attach images of the existing kitchen and what is proposed so far. The only changes to the images planned so far is moving the appliance garage to the left corner & putting cabinet panels on the dishwashers. The main sink will remain under the window. A prep sink is planned at the end of the island farthest from the range. Would appreciate any feedback!

This is the kitchen before purchase. The only change thus far is it's painted gray! The entire right wall will be removed and opened up to the corner door where the pantry is. It was determined that can only be opened to the back of the pantry wall because our panel boxes are on the other side of that wall in the garage.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH