SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texasnewbie

Any thoughts on this layout? (Remodel)

Betsy Kocsis
9 years ago

Many thanks to Buehl, Lavender Lass, and DebraK, who have helped me begin to look at my kitchen with fresh eyes and see how to make it more functional. My main goal right now is to come up with a workable layout (or two) so I can get some estimates for a remodel.

Here is my latest attempt at a reconfiguration of my kitchen (for details about how we use the kitchen and to see the layouts developed by Buehl and modifications suggested by Lavender Lass, please see my previous thread linked below):

I may be pricing myself out of this remodel, but Buehl's recommendation to change the window wall to accommodate counters and cabinets got me thinking about shifting the window from the existing entry hall into the kitchen and moving the pantry closer to the kitchen. The window in this spot will give me that all-important view of the driveway from the kitchen so I can see who's coming and going. Shifting the walk-in pantry will help block the view of the clean-up area from the entry (at least I hope it will) and make the traffic flow past the cooking area. And I think that doorway between the pantry and the fridge wall will allow us to keep our view of the back of the house thru the window in the mudroom.

Oh, almost forgot to explain that I'm assuming it would be best to keep the furnace ducting to the 2nd floor (previously labelled HVAC because I didn't know any better) where it is in that spot in the laundry room. The furnace is in the basement and directly below the current laundry room. Am I right that it's expensive to move that ductwork and it's best to leave it as it is, a straight shot from the basement to the upper floor?

And while I prefer the powder room layout Buehl has in her layouts to our current setup, I figure I should see what the damage is for the other changes first, which is why I've omitted it from this layout.

I don't have a good feel for how the entry will look and work. It looks odd in the layout (Buehl's looks so much more sensible), and I'm sure that single window near the range will set all the symmetry lovers' teeth on edge. And I'm still nervous about the width of the aisles around the island, especially the main prep area btwn the island and the fridge storage. I keep thinking the fridges should be pushed further away from the island so I won't have to shift around people getting drinks or whatever. But that is a load-bearing wall that separates the kitchen proper from the entry.

What do you think? I'm grateful for any and all comments.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buehl's and Lavender Lass's handiwork

Comments (2)