SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kazmom1

Feedback on kitchen layout please

kazmom
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Given budget and a couple of directional changes (replacing va reusing cabinets), I have a new kitchen plan. It is in no way perfect, I am aware of several trade offs we are making, and am hopeful some of you can look at it and let me know what you would recommend changing.

The things I like about it are - open to dining room - have peninsula with seating - fridge stays in main kitchen area, convenient to stove and sink - U shape opened significantly, adding 2.5' to 3' to the kitchen work area - loads more storage than we have today

Things I am giving up with this design - No sink adjacent to the range. Range is a ways across from the sink. I have walked it in a test and it is about 3 to 3.5 steps from range to sink (including pivot). Not ideal, but I don't think horrible either. - Not as much counter space adjacent to stove as I would prefer (though more than I have now).

I have some alternative plans I have drawn but the trade offs with those seem more onerous for me.

Below is the floor plan and also a picture of the peninsula that is my inspiration. The primary purpose of doing the peninsula this way is to get more room in the U of the kitchen. The part of the sliding door obstructed by the peninsula will be stationary.

Family is me, my mom and 2 kids. Don't entertain a lot. Slider is not only access to back yard but is used frequently by kids, by dog and by me to access grill in the summer. Will have less use in winter (in Midwest so that is a decent portion of the year). I don't see peninsula being used as seating a lot. Primarily for kids for snacks or occasional friends to chat while cooking.

All feedback appreciated! Sorry if the drawing is kind of hard to read. The floor plan is not 100% to scale, but is close. How we ultimately make the curve in the peninsula will be determined by the cabinets we go with What is shown is using a Medallion oddly shaped corner piece.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths