SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roarahgw

When a child dies...

roarah
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

The world shines less brightly.

I waited to write this post because I can not get over my feeling of survivor's guilt. I know my feelings are silly but I just can not stop thinking about how last year I could not stop pleading with the universe for my family to be ok and we are.

However, in the twelve months since my husband's diagnosis, a friend's wife died suddenly, a 10 year old class mate's mother overdosed. A teacher's three day old baby with a trisomy passed away at her home. another of my DD's classmates was successfully treated for lymphoma and the hardest hit to my heart, a beautiful ten year old friend died this weekend.

I can not stop weeping. In his short life he touched everyone who was lucky enough to have known him. He was an amazingly bright, athletic, and kind child. There is a large hole in our community's heart with his passing. So much potential disappeared in a single instant and my heart breaks for his family.

He was at our pool party celebrating the next step in his life and the future. He hugged me goodbye as he thanked me for the party while most boys his age would be too cool to do so in front of his peers.

When faced with my husband's mortality, I had a mantra that "it was not my child and we could handle what ever came" but I could not handle anything happening to my children. I just can not fathom how they move forward from this.

Today I wish I believed in God and heaven...

Comments (29)