Where did you vacation when you were a child?
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (40)
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
Did you smoke when you were younger?
Comments (26)I'm 63 and I;ve never, ever, smoked. Married to a life-long non-smoker. Cigarettes are not allowed in our house (or farm as they can transmit tobacco mosaic virus to our crops). I loathe cigarette smoking. Was thrilled when in the mid/early '80s smoking was banned in restuarants and then all workplaces in NY state. Once dated (semi-seriously) a man who smoked, but broke it off because I realized that he would never quit and I could never live with the smoking. Nowadays I won't even go to homes where smoking is going to happen, nor ride in cars with active smoking. (And prefer not to even get in cars where smoking has occurred.) My grandmother who never smoked a cigarette either died of lung cancer (possibly radon exposure or second-hand risk). My non-smoking husband had a serious heart attack (he grew up with smokers), but my late father who did smoke for many years (though I didn't live many of them with him, thankfully, as I was in boarding school) did not die from lung disease or cancer. Go figure! Even without the disease risk, it's still gross to me. L....See MoreDid you or your grown kids play with toys when they were young?
Comments (20)Bumble, you might be my DD's biological mom LOL. Her (self imposed) goal this summer is to cook more "real meals." She already bakes a lot, with some supervision, and makes pancakes independently. Her real obsession these days is duct tape. She has made a variety of wallets, purses, etc. She usually makes at least one a day. She has probably 25 rolls of various colors and patterns at the moment. I honestly don't think I could make one of those wallets myself, and I'm fairly crafty...or used to be! She has her own glue gun. Tish, like you say, she's not a great speller or much of a reader but she can read complicated directions or a recipe and figure it out no problem, so she's all set!...See MoreWhen you were looking at homes did the realtor drive you or you met up
Comments (26)When I bought my house, the realtor drove me around. But then again I met her through an organization we were both part of, even though we weren't especially friends. I was glad we drove around together because it enabled more frank conversation and spontaneous questions. (And some laughter after the House with The Indiana Jones stairway down into the basement, or after escaping the House with the Severely Bowed Roof, which we hadn't noticed until we had crossed through it and were out on the deck.) She was willing to show me the neighborhoods, too. When I hunted for the land I'm currently building on, the realtor just gave me the address and I went on my own - she never showed up at all. (I met her when I first signed up with her, and just once after. She hadn't indicated at our first meeting that she'd not actually be walking these properties with me.)...See MoreHow Old Were You When Your First Child Was Born?
Comments (86)My husband's mother had grown children....maybe even a grandchild or two, when she married his father, who had grandchildren...probably even great grandchildren, and after they got married, they had six children in six years. She was 38 when he was born....four more after him, and his dad was 68, and 72 when his last was born. The baby had spina bifida and died shortly after birth, and his mother died from breast cancer a couple of years later. I was almost 34....had no trouble getting pregnant and no morning sickness or complications during pregnancy and only gained 25 lb. Had a c section and was in the hospital for five days, and lost all but 7 when I got out. My mother, who was 42, also said she never had any nausea or other problems. My mother was 42 but probably looked older. She was thin and had premature gray hair. After I was born, in a Catholic hospital, by the way, she didn't see me for several hours. One of the sisters came into her room, which was a room with 4 beds, and said, "Have any of you had a baby and not seen it?" My mother said, "I haven't seen mine." The sister said, "Hmph!! No old woman like you has had a baby!" My mother said, "Well, I guess I ought to know if I had a baby or not!" I am quite sure my father was there, and he was a very over bearing type of person, and I can just imagine smoke coming out of his ears, because shortly, the mother superior came running into the room....my mother said her rosary or whatever she had hanging on her outfit (sorry, not Catholic...I don't know) "just a'jangling". She said, "Yes that is Mrs. Stout's baby.....give it to her right now!!"...See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

ARCHITECTURERoots of Style: Where Did Your House Get Its Look?
Explore the role of architectural fashions in current designs through 5 home styles that bridge past and present
Full Story
VALENTINE’S DAYTell Us: Why Did You Fall in Love With Your House?
What was it about your house that made your heart flutter? Share your photo, and it could make the Houzz homepage
Full Story
DISASTER PREP & RECOVERYRemodeling After Water Damage: Tips From a Homeowner Who Did It
Learn the crucial steps and coping mechanisms that can help when flooding strikes your home
Full Story
MORE ROOMSWhere to Put the TV When the Wall Won't Work
See the 3 Things You'll Need to Float Your TV Away From the Wall
Full Story
KIDS’ SPACESSingle Design Moves That Can Transform a Child’s Room
Your children are unique and special. Why not give them a room to match?
Full Story
MOST POPULARWhen Does a House Become a Home?
Getting settled can take more than arranging all your stuff. Discover how to make a real connection with where you live
Full Story
FUN HOUZZDid Elves Make a Home in a San Francisco Park?
Speculation has swirled around a Lilliputian doorway in Golden Gate Park. We give you the true story — and a design dilemma
Full Story
BUDGETING YOUR PROJECTHouzz Call: What Did Your Kitchen Renovation Teach You About Budgeting?
Cost is often the biggest shocker in a home renovation project. Share your wisdom to help your fellow Houzzers
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESWhere to Splurge, Where to Save in Your Remodel
Learn how to balance your budget and set priorities to get the home features you want with the least compromise
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGAnother Independence Day: When Kids Can Do Their Laundry
Set yourself free and give your child a valuable life skill at the same time
Full StorySponsored
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida



caseynfld