SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lssqueeze

I'm Confused and Could Use Explanation - DNA Testing

Suzieque
6 years ago

I know that there have been multiple threads on this and I've reviewed them. I've also read lots on the web. And I know that these tests are changing and progressing as time goes by. Please bear with me.

I am interested in having detailed family origin information (mother and father, I guess) to give more insight into background, ancestors, etc. I'm NOT interested in finding relatives or help in completing genealogy or anything like that. Do I want to know potential health issues? Well, no, I don't think so. 123 has a "trait" report that sounds fun but it's only included with the full package (that includes health risks and other info I don't care about).

Am I right that "autosomal" testing is only looking at maternal ancestors/dna? If so, what good is that if I want to know both mother and father? Yes, I do realize that the male part only works if I'm a male, which I'm not, but my husband would like to do this for his family, too.

This is something we want to do for fun, not for creating any family tree/names/contact info, etc.

Has anyone here had the same intent we have and which have you chosen? What was your experience?

Thanks!

Comments (22)