SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

Really, American Horticulture? Has it come to this?

davidrt28 (zone 7)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I submit for your consideration: http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/2017-featured-plants/

What is with this insanity? All new plants are going to be patented, and have utterly ridiculous cultivar official names so that when they do go off-patent, they will be difficult to market? Because, you know, God forbid someone 17 years down the road tries to make a pittance on your probably-poorly-tested-and-dubiously-performing-anyhow plant. Polyspora longicarpa 'MonSaPaRby'? Seaside Serenade® Cape May Hydrangea Hydrangea serrata 'SMMAKF2MT'? lol. What is a Cape May Hydrangea, exactly? Only grows well next to Victorian gingerbread buildings? Once upon a time cultivars were introduced and slowly underwent the natural testing of the open market. Any wholesaler could try to produce them, and retail nursery sell them...eventually a picture of whether a cultivar was up to snuff or not, would emerge. Now I think we're seeing the crap that's happened to Heucheras and Echinaceas, happening with a bunch of other genera. Breeding of showy plants that are often poor garden performers - or by the time they have been tested for years around the country and emerge as good performers, like 'Pewter Veil', they will be withdrawn from sale because the producers want you to buy their new junk that will be under patent for longer.

I've already decided my maple with showy translucent leaves will be called a "Maryland (TM) Japanese Maple" - tradename "Glorious Cathedral Windows®" - cultivar "STFUBIATCH"

Comments (24)