SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
remodeler_matt

Jenn-Air Fridge and Freezer temps erratic

remodeler_matt
6 years ago

I have an erratic temperature problem with my 12-yr-old Jenn-Air JBC2088HTW refrigerator/freezer. Temp is set at 0 in the freezer and 40 in the fridge, but it fluctuates wildly, often going as high as 40 in the freezer and 60 in the refrigerator. It occurred only occasionally at first, but then started doing it every day. I replaced the main electronic circuit board, and temps held steady for 4 days, but then the problem came back, and is now spiking high 2-3 times a day.

The coils are clean and there is no ice or even frost on them. Unplugging it seems to reset it, but only if it is unplugged for at least 20 minutes. It will then run normally at 0/40 degrees for a while, but then the problem returns. That indicates to me that perhaps something is overheating and becoming erratic, but returns to normal operation after it cools down.

I also hear a periodic buzzing sound near the compressor when the problem is occurring, indicating that perhaps it is the compressor starter relay (referred to in some posts I've found as the "inverter"). So I might try that next.

Anyone have a possible solution?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)