SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Crisp White Sheets

Funkyart
6 years ago

I purchased new white sheets a few months ago when I purchased new bedding. I bought the PB basics based on recommendations here but I am just not thrilled with them. They're thinner than I like and after only a few months, they've worn thin.

I've revisited a number of the old sheet threads but so many posts were people on a similar quest-- I've narrowed my options down to the following and am wondering if anyone has new or revised experiences with them:

• Eileen Fisher Organic Percale - is not in stock in my size color, so this is out unless someone convinces me to wait until Sept when they're expected to ship
  • Perfectlinens Supercale - midweight, crisp and cooling
  • Garnet Hill Wrinkle Resistant Sateen - this is lowest on my list because I don't usually like sateen -- but all the reviews here have said they actually are crisp and not like any other sateen sheets. These are much cheaper than the other options.

Comments (74)

• sas95
    6 years ago

I did not like the Target sheets at all. I donated them to our animal shelter. They felt cheap to me.

Funkyart thanked sas95
  • maire_cate
    6 years ago

Thanks for posting this Funky. We just ordered a new king mattress and my much beloved Wamsutta 50/50 percale sheets won't fit the thicker mattress. My MIL worked in linens at a department store and gave us a new set every Christmas and I have 5 sets. They have lasted for over 20 years old although I have added new elastic to the bottoms. Luckily I can take them to our vacation home.

LLBean has a 15% off sale at the moment and I'm going to try one of their Premium Egyptian sets. The price isn't bad and If I don't like it I'll give it to my son.

I ordered a Brooklinen percale set because they had great reviews on several sites - they are well made and thick but still somewhat noisy even after 5 washings.

The Perfect Linens Supercale is also a contender - cool, crisp and a reasonable thread count.

Maire

• Related Discussions

What color are your bed sheets?

Q

Comments (29)
    I also like crisp white sheets but have recently indulged myself with a few new sets in eggplant, sage, and copper. Last week I bought a set of jersey knit in lavender and am going to try them out tonight. I'm hoping they aren't too warm. I figured since I like to sleep in knit pajamas, that the sheets would be comfortable, too. My favorite sheets are from QVC, they are the "wrinkle defense" and are really, truly wrinkle free, no ironing required. They have them in white, too.
    ...See More

Let's talk about sheets that are cool and crisp or cool and soft

Q

Comments (0)
    I am good with either as long as they don't sleep too hot. I was set to buy LL Bean percale which have been highly recommended around the web but the most recent reviews aren't all that great. I live in the UK currently and will only be home for a few days and won't have time to run around checking out every b+m store's selection. Bonus if anyone has a recommendation for a white or gray blanket for a king sized bed that isn't too heavy.
    ...See More

Let's talk about sheets that are cool and crisp or cool and soft

Q

Comments (21)
    Rough Linen Forever! No Bamboo for us since it's rayon and a hot chemical mess. The Federal Trade Commission, the nation’s consumer protection agency, wants you to know that the soft “bamboo” fabrics on the market today are rayon. They are made using toxic chemicals in a process that releases pollutants into the air. Extracting bamboo fibers is expensive and time-consuming, and textiles made just from bamboo fiber don’t feel silky smooth. There’s also no evidence that rayon made from bamboo retains the antimicrobial properties of the bamboo plant, as some sellers and manufacturers claim. Even when bamboo is the “plant source” used to create rayon, no traits of the original plant are left in the finished product. FTC on Bamboo Fabrics
    ...See More

guest bedroom help!

Q

Comments (37)
    Hi Theresa, thanks for the pillow info. I’m so confused because I’m not sure the exact size of the two off white Shams i have now. And if i add two euro pillows they won’t go with my exact bedding. Right now my sleeping pillows seem to be larger than the Shana that go with the duvet. It’s an old Calvin Klein art from 2008 when i was first married. Nice but organic cotton with a very subtle jacquard like floral print. I do love the look of the matalese bed skirt but not sure if i have too many textures going on. Wondering if i need to add more color now. I was these poufs in target and i thought tonout a couple at the foot of the bed for my kids to watch tv with their grandparents. Yes i can put the other night stand on the other side. I am feeling like all the wood furniture in the room is too heavy.
    ...See More
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Maire, I was going to go for the LLBean set also-- the sweethome review Mayflower shared kind of tipped the scale for me-- until I saw that my size/color is on backorder.

I am tempted by the Target set due to the low cost and many positive experiences-- but the scattered nays have sent me looking elsewhere.

I am back to a few.. the supercale is definitely on the list.

I had also looked at Brooklinen.. thank you for sharing your experience with them. I don't know if "noisy" will bother me. I am thinking it might.

I added a new set to the mix.. the Sofitel that Mtn was raving about in a recent thread.

All are pretty close in price.. but the LLBean comes in at the lowest with the discount. I am just not sure I want to wait over a month for them. I am all about immediate satisfaction these days :)

• cattyles
    6 years ago

I have had lovely sheets in the past that looked perfect, exactly what I wanted, that were just too crispy and noisy. I have a set right now that I just can't give up on. I throw them in the washer and dryer about twice a week. They have probably been washed 30-40 times by now. They are still crackly. The label says Delfina, with One King's Lane in smaller letters under that so I think they are relabeled. I paid about twice as much as I normally pay for sheets. I think I might try the Target vintage percale.

Funkyart thanked cattyles
  • maire_cate
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I just ordered 3 sets of sheets. We'll be moving into our new home by the end of this month and there's so much to do that I decided I could at least have sheets ready. I had planned on the Bean sheets but after reading the Sweethome review I decided to try the Snowe too.

I ordered 2 sets from LL Bean - the Premium Egyptian percale and the regular percale. I also bought the Snowe in white - if you sign up you receive $25.00 off your first purchase. And it's free shipping and free returns with a 90 day trial period.

As for the Brooklinen being noisy - it's funny, but it doesn't bother me too much. I notice it when I first put them on the bed after laundering them and then when I sleep on them the first night. I think it's only because by comparison the Wamsutta isn't noisy.

I doubt that I'd return any of them unless they proved to be real failures. I still need to buy new pillows and mite proof covers for the bedding.

Maire

Funkyart thanked maire_cate
  • sas95
    6 years ago

I have some of the Brooklinen percale, which I have liked fine. I don't find them noisy, but they are thinner and not as well made as the premium Egyptian LL Bean ones. I liked the Brooklinen ones better before I compared.

Funkyart thanked sas95
  • Bunny
    6 years ago

Joanie, the Vintage Percale are not noisy, but they do wrinkle, but that doesn't bother me. If you get the sheets right out of the dryer, wrinkles are minimized and are mostly on the long edges. If that would bother you, these probably aren't the sheets for you. The body of the sheets are smoothed when put on the bed and a warm body lies on them.

I mean, these are $40 sheets from Target. They don't have an upscale look. They are very plain and ordinary, but they are fresh and smell like sunshine and they feel like home underneath me.

There is something definitely odd about the Classic Percale which is similar in packaging but has a rustle to them.

Funkyart thanked Bunny
  • DLM2000-GW
    6 years ago

I bought the classic percale by mistake thinking I had ordered the organic. Straight out of the packaging they just felt weird but thought I'd try washing to see if it was just sizing. No, still weird so I returned and got another set of the organic. Linelle I love your analogy that your sheets feel like home. That's exactly how I'd describe the Target organic sheets.

Funkyart thanked DLM2000-GW
  • Bunny
    6 years ago

DLM, what is going on with the Classic Percale? It does feel like sizing, or like they're made of paper. When they emerge damp from the washer and they're still talking to you, something's up. I'm not so sensitive that the rustling sound woke me up at night, but there is a definite rustle to them.

Vintage Percale (you call them organic) are more a zzzzzzz than a rustle.

Funkyart thanked Bunny
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

Where do the Target Shabby Chic sheets fall on this scale? I have a set of those and they do feel a bit strange, but I don't dislike them. They claim to be all cotton except for the border, but I wonder. But they are much more comfortable than the cheap sheets I bought at HomeGoods. (Not worth buying good sheets or using my good sheets here because we're on badly treated well water that turns everything a reddish orange after a while.)

• User
    6 years ago

I think the Vintage Percale and Organic ones from Target are two different sets. ? I think I remember looking at the Organic sheets too while I was there.

FWIW, the Classic Percale are noisy but they are softer from washing. From what I can remember the only description difference was that the material was washed more (doesn't mean that's the only difference of course) so that was my reasoning as to why I would get better wear maybe from the Classic.

Funkyart thanked User
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Shee, you are correct-- the organic and the vintage percale are two different sets. I almost purchased the organic (I am allergic to formaldehyde) .. and I may still as a test and/or backup.

I was called into the office so my shopping was delayed. I hope to make a purchase this evening.

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

I have posted in previous threads about how much I like the Target percale sheets I purchased for our beds at the lake. Keep in mind, I bought these about 7-8 years ago when we bought the condo. While we've been there this weekend, I checked the label. They are the Target Home label and are Made in India. Probably a huge difference in what is being sold today. Ours are not noisy at all, wash and dry well, are soft yet slightly crisp and don't wrinkle much.

• Michael
    6 years ago

If you're seeking quality cotton percale, you're going to have to pay more than $100.

I suggest any of the following.

Parachute $199

Authenticity 50 $169

Red Land Cotton. $250

Wrinkle free sheets are chemically treated sheets. Avoid them if you can.

Certain people in the Laundry Room know everything about sheets.

• llitm
    6 years ago

So iif one prefers crisp, cool AND the noise factor thrown in, what would the recommendations be?

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I opted to try the Sofitel deluxe percale. I was already leaning that way -- and today they are 25% off. I ordered one set to give them a try.

Also eager to hear Maires experience w llbean premium Egyptian... and the snowes.

Thanks all!

• pschr
    6 years ago

Funkyart please give us an update. I too have been searching for the perfect sheets. I had a set from TL and after 3 years my husbands toe nail punctured a hole in the flat sheet. I then sought to find a cheaper set and ended up buying the LL Bean sheets that were recommended but have not liked them for 2 years. I recently decided to begin my search for percale sheets again because I don't love crawling into bed like I did with the TL sheets. I too have been looking at Perfect linens but finally decided on TL again. I am currently waiting on my order to arrive. I would love to hear from anyone who has tried the perfect linen sheets.

• arkansas girl
    6 years ago

I'm blank pschr, what is "TL".

• maire_cate
    6 years ago

TL - Thomas Lee sheets.

It took me a few minute to remember his name.....

• daisychain Zn3b
    6 years ago

When you guys talk about the target sheets are these the ones?

https://intl.target.com/p/performance-sheet-set-solids-400-thread-count-threshold-153/-/A-51846287#preselect=14131701

I bought these a couple of years ago and I love them. I only have one set and I wash them and put them back on the bed in one day so that I don't have to sleep on anything else. They have good body, but are also soft (and they never talk to me). Unfortunately, I seemed to be the only one in my country that shopped regularly at Target and now it's gone :(

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

The Target sheets are not all made the same read the packaging. Some are made in India some in China. This accounts for why Targets percales all feel different.

As for wrinkling any 100% cotton sheet will wrinkle. I agree with Brushworks if you want good quality percales you are either going to have to fork out $$$ or hunt the thrift stores for vintage ones and restore them.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I did receive the Sofitel sheets but I haven't washed them yet. My first thought is that the pillow cases look HUGE. I bought the deluxe set and the pillow cases look more like shams. I am fine with that as long as the pillows fill them. I do need new pillows so fresh unsquished pillows may fill them just fine.

• joaniepoanie
    6 years ago

I am trying my new Penneys sheets tonight....they are way more wrinkly than my old Penneys sheets that I love.....do they just get less wrinkly with age? I've also ordered the Target Vintage-Washed.

I pulled out some extra pillow cases I purchased a few years ago that I like. They are made by Raymond Waites and are 50/50 poly cotton.....they don't wrinkle and are not hot.....maybe that's the route I should go if I want to avoid all the wrinkles.

Not sure price has much to do with anything. We recently stayed in an upscale hotel with Frette sheets.....in terms of feel....meh....but they weren't wrinkled.

Speaking of expensive sheets has anyone tried Boll and Branch sheets? I came across them in my search for new sheets. It's a 3 year old company. I was intrigued but they'd have to have a really good sale for me to pull the trigger.

Has anyone returned sheets they've washed and used? I feel guilty doing this but I'm tired of trying new sheets, not liking them and giving them away.

• westsider40
    6 years ago

Yes. A few years ago I returned 800 tc sheets of a cotton poly mix to Macy's which were washed and dried. There were two sets, one washed and dried and one unopened,. They took them back. Wrinkly and neither soft nor crisp.

• joaniepoanie
    6 years ago

So I slept on my new Penneys sheets last night....not bad, but a little rough/scratchy. I've concluded my favorites are just old and that's why they are so smooth and comfy. They're not going to last forever so I better get used to new. I'll try fabric softener with the next wash to see if that helps.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Joanie, how many times have you washed the Pennys sheets before using? And did you use hot water? These sheets are not made in the USA so they come packaged with much chemicials sprayed on them and that often includes pesticides. Its going to take a few hot washes to remove this. I would not use fabric softener yet as it will trap these chemicals in the fibers making it difficult to remove.

• joaniepoanie
    6 years ago

Mamapinky....thanks for the info....I just washed once and put on the bed.... I will wash a few times in hot water.

• pschr
    6 years ago

Arkansas girl, TL is Thomas Lee. I thought it was referenced earlier in the comments but it must have been in a different post, sorry about that. Thank you marie cate for answering! I am also intrigued by Authenticity 50 and Red Land Cotton sheets! If I am not happy with my Thomas Lee I will be trying them.

• seww1
    6 years ago

This is what I purchase they feel exactly like my grandma's sheets!

http://www.thecompanystore.com/classic-percale-sheets/e4s5-ps-a14.html

• joaniepoanie
    6 years ago

Seww1........do the Company Store sheets wrinkle a lot? Growing up our percale sheets were simply not the wrinkled mess they are today.

• pschr
    6 years ago

joaniepoanie IMHO sheets were often lined dried which will help reduce wrinkling when we were growing up. I find dryer balls and taking the sheets out of the dryer before they are completing dry will help too. Also make sure your washing machine is set to low spin.

• Michael
    6 years ago

pschr,

Cozy Pure has a sale on Organic Cotton Sheets. Queen set is $120. Made in Virginia.

• Bonnie
    6 years ago

I bought several sets of these for our vacation house and liked them so much that I now have them here. They get great reviews and are now on sale.
    JCPenney Easy care sheets

• pschr
    6 years ago

I have received my Thomas Lee sheets and slept on them for two nights. They have a break in period which they say will soften with each washing. Currently they are not as soft as I remember them being but I am going to give them at least 30 nights. Last night was better than the first night, the first night I found them a little scratchy. They are thick and crisp but I remember a smoother/softer finish than they have right now. My LL Bean sheets have never gotten that smooth/soft feeling. I plan on washing them frequently for the first 30 days as they guarantee return up to 90 days if you are not satisfied. However, last night I went to Target and felt the Vintage Wash Target Sheets they are 100% cotton 250 thread count and are made in India. I may have to buy a set to try and to keep as a second set of sheets. These sheets felt amazing on the shelf. They were not a thick as the Thomas Lee. The other girls are correct all the Target sheets feel different and are made in other countries.

• Bunny
    6 years ago

Target Vintage Percale, everything I want in a sheet, including the price.

• User
    6 years ago

Funkyart, did you try your new sheets yet?

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I did, yes. I washed them and put them on the bed yesterday. They have nice body and are reasonably soft. I would not rave about the softness but I have no complaints. They would require ironing.. but I did not iron the fitted sheet. Only the pillow cases. The fitted sheet and cases are generous. They easily covered my pillow top mattress without having to wrestle them. The pillow cases have too much room for my liking but I do need new pillows.

Overall I am pleased.. but I can't say, "go out and buy these now!". I got the body I was looking for but not the sublime sleep experience I was hoping for. I will say this.. I went to bed in an overtired state and I slept restlessly (unrelated to the sheets) so tomorrow I may have a different opinion.

Also, I realized yesterday that my duvet cover and shams are sateen-- not the sheen and texture I usually associate with sateen -= but a soft, full bodied sateen with no sheen or slickness. I am wondering if this isn't more of what I am looking for. I'll wash/dry the current sheets another few times and see what I think.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Funkyart yes it could very well be Percale is not what you want. I would describe Percale as more smooth not soft. Course that isnt saying percale is rough lol they arnt, they are smooth with crisp under tones..haha. As for ironing wrinkles..ironing percale isn't just for the visable wrinkles.. what the iron does is gives every single fiber a smooth finished feel, its more about the feel than the look when it comes to percale. Some people find a system for percale that limits the amount of visable wrinkles, like line drying, only drying part way in the machine ect, but there's only one way to give percale that all over smooooth feel and thats an iron so I wonder at time expecially when people want sheets just like grandma and buy percale they are not happy, complaints have been these percales are not smooth..and they won't be unless ironed. This has been discussed before but frankly any sheet whether its a percale weave or another weave if its 100% cotton or linen you may reduce visable wrinkling but you will never get that all over smooth feel without ironing. I'm repeating myself here so I better end this response LOL

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Mamapinky.. I had that same thought about ironing but still I didn't do it. I know it makes a difference in my clothing. I just didn't want to take on ironing my sheets (this was one of my chores as a kid lol). Smoothness is definitely a better word for what I am looking for-- I want body and smoothness. Maybe I'll give in an iron the next time. If it genuinely makes the difference, I could suck it up and iron-- especially since it's only a fitted sheet and cases.

I did plan to remove the sheets when still slightly damp but I overshot the mark.

Again, I am not displeased.. especially at the sale price, I am happy with the sheets. I just haven't hit that sheet nirvana place I dream of :)

• joaniepoanie
    6 years ago

I stated up thread that my favorite sheets are from Penney's Home Collection ......100% cotton, made in Pakistan. But they are at least 15 years old and have been washed a thousand times. Soft, cool, thin, minimum wrinkles.

A year or two ago I bought TL sheets...too thick, too wrinkly and Target sheets.....too noisy and wrinkly.

A few weeks ago purchased four sets from Penneys. First set....300 percale cotton ultra soft, made in India. ....nope......thick, rough, noisy.

Next set I tried this week was the Target Vintage.....made in India....nope.....for me too rough (washed three times in hot water first) and noisy and wrinkly.

Back to Penneys.....100% cotton, made in Pakistan..... Bingo! Sort of. These are a different animal than the sheets made in India. Came out of the dryer with minimum wrinkles, just like my favorites. At first I though they were mislabeled because they had a slight sheen to them...kind of like sateen. But I have some sateen pillow cases and they are not as shiny as those. They were definitely softer than the other Penneys and Target and no noise. I may keep them because the label says they get softer with each washing. I may wash them a bunch and use fabric softener to help them along.

So....I also dug out some old sheets I like. Some from when the kids were kids and some my mom had then gave to me....at least 30 years old. Different brands but fabric content....50/50 poly cotton! I think one said no-iron percale. So now I may also try to find a set of cotton blend sheets. Not worried about the cool factor and the poly with AC and a ceiling fan. One of the sets from Penneys is 60/40 but made in China so am ambivalent about those. The other set is made in India and the brand is Seriously Soft...not sure I want to try India again though.

Shouldn't be this hard to find sheets I like!

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

I will tell you how I got my vast collection of sheets and pillowcases. LOL. First I only like high quality 100-% cotton percale, and they need to be white, but to buy these new I'd need to sell my home so I went thrifting and to flea markets, what I found would make most people sick....100% cotton percale, white...ok the white was debatable...more In ranges of the nastiest white you can imagine, ranging from tan to the ugliest dirty brown and they all reeked to the high heavens...of course I did what all lovers of great vintage sheets from the 50's would do...I paid my 25 cents a sheet and went home with my treasure. I of course had to consider bed bugs so i bagged these up and put them behind hubs shed under a tarp. I dug out my huge and I mean huge old soup pot not used for cooking lol...I did one sheet at a time..put the sheet in soup pot, filled with hot tap water, put on stove top and turned on high...I added about 1/8 th cup of Tide with Bleach POWDER, brought to a boil and turned off stirring occasionally with a large wooden spoon....let cool to room temp..it stinks and the wa ter is brown...dump outside, refill and do same again....water lighter brown... d o a third time...water pretty clear..next step is to put it in the washer and spin out..start washer on a long sanitize cycle almost 160F with a hefty dose of Tide with Bleach powder and some ammonia....I did this more times than you can imagine, I had the time not the money...I was rewarded with the most beautiful, pure white sheets, that have no odors other than clean. I doubt even the most exexpensive sheets could handle such aggressivness today. LOL

This is not for everyone for sure, but this was a way for me to have the highest quality sheets, better than anything on todays market for nothing more than my time. Haha.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

Mama, I think you could sell sheets like that on Etsy. Fold a stack, wrap with a pretty bow and a home made tag explaining how to care for them. Mamapinky's Vintage Sheets ...

• Bunny
    6 years ago

Joanie, I have some sheets I love that are close to 40 years old. I don't use them because they're threadbare. Why do I keep them? They'll be handy in the Apocalypse when people are desperate for sheets. :p

But they're 50/50 poly/cotton! I thought that was the answer to my quest for smooth, crisp, not slimy sheets. So I bought some with that blend and they're crap. Only good for the Apocalypse.

I put on makeup most days and spend some time on my hair, but there's zero chance I'm gonna iron a sheet

• gsciencechick
    6 years ago

Stopped at Target and bought the vintage percale in a silvery color. There were not a lot of color selections, and there was no white in queen. So, we'll try them tonight. They're in the washer now.

ETA they're on the bed. :)

• gsciencechick
    6 years ago

So far, I like the Target vintage percale sheets. They seem like decent quality, especially for the price. They are a little more wrinkled than the other ones I have, but not a dealbreaker.

• bpath
    6 years ago

Has anyone tried Grandmother's sheets from Vermont Country Store?

• gsciencechick
    6 years ago

Just wanted to update the thread on Target vintage percale. They have softened a bit with repeated washings, so I am really liking them now. I bought a set for our guest room, too. For the price, cannot complain. Both sets of my Biltmore sheets from Belk ripped in the bottom sheets, and those were about $100 with a sale price. I maybe got 5 years out of the Biltmore ones.

• Bunny
    6 years ago

I'm a huge fan of Target's vintage percale. In fact, I love them. They do wrinkle around the edges, but they soften and smooth out nicely where it matters. I have a couple of sets--white--that rotate in and out.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Glad you've been happy with your sheets.. I am also happy with my Sofitel sheets. I do iron the pillow cases (and sometimes the fitted sheet) which makes for the perfect texture. Smooth but sturdy. I would have liked them to be a bit thicker but they aren't thin and I think thicker often comes a different texture and "feel". I think I have the perfect compromise of all features.

soboutique has 25% off linens and 30% off pillows (I also like their pillows .. they're very "full" which is great for reading in bed"

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    6 years ago

I have a set of percale sheets that I bought at hg, they’re Vera Wang. Crisp,lots of body, smooth. Not sure where to find them though. I grew up with sheets like this.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer