SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24200779

OT:What would YOU do:moving a smallish wisteria plant-yey or nay?

User
6 years ago

I posted this on the Vines forum and got two brief responses: both advised moving it. But since I think some of the folks on this forum might kind of "know" me and my situation a little, I thought I'd put the post up here, too,just in case any of you have opinions on the matter.

The wisteria in question is the Japanese one, Macrobotrys.It's been in place about 5 years now,and is about 2.5-3 meters tall. But it doesn't seem at all happy.

I'm in Tuscany, Italy, with long,very hot, VERY dry summers. Since I
have no running water in my garden,my policy is that plants are
irrigated by me only in their first year in the garden (in some rare
cases extended to the second year), after which they must get by with
only rainfall. Sad to say, anymore rainfall in summer in my area seems
often non-existant,but I've found that my roses do pretty well with this
situation. Wisteria is different, however. It seems to be a lot fussier
than the roses. This plant in particular is bothering me: after this
month of heat and drought it's leaves are all pale greenish yellow,close
to being shrivelled and dried out. It's clear that in spite of the fact
that it's been there 5 years it's roots can't find sufficient moisture
underground on their own (it did this last year, too). I watered it a
little last year,and it survived ,but this isn't really a sustainable
situation for my garden. Fact is, the nearby Cercis Forest Pansy and
Cercis Avondale seem to be doing fine. I think the soil in this area
must be pretty thin (i.e., bedrock pretty close to the surface), so it's
pretty dry, but everybody seems to to repeat tirelessly on how powerful
wisteria roots are, etc, etc, etc,so I would've thought that such a
plant would be able to thrive in this spot,but I guess I was wrong.
So,what to do now? Could it be worthwhile to try to move this plant next
autumn,to a place that hopefully has deeper soil? Or try to improve
conditions in it's present spot (thick mulch,organic matter, etc)? Or
just let Nature take it's course,and tell the plant "sink or swim,
Buster"? What would YOU do?

Comments (20)

• rosesmi5a
    6 years ago

Here in central Michigan we have lots of heavy clay and the wisteria is invasive and hard to control. Beautiful for 1-2 weeks, and then watch your back 'cause the wisteria might just wrap you, your house, and your car up. So...I'd just let it struggle along -- maybe thick mulch in a wider than normal circle, and see if that is enough to get it going well, but not enough that I'd regret my choice.

Sunny

User thanked rosesmi5a
  • Cassandra Wright (6b PA)
    6 years ago

Sink or swim. I've moved wisteria a couple times and here in PA it seems to take a couple years afterward to put out much new growth. Especially since the plant is already stressed I think it would need a lot of TLC for too long to become established in its new home. Then again I'm sometimes rough with the roots when I move things so maybe my transplants would have taken off quicker if I were more careful.

User thanked Cassandra Wright (6b PA)
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 years ago

Sorry I am in the group of Wisteria haters sorry we have had Wisteria coming up in our lawn in my planting beds it just is very very invasive here in Oregon . So where I would move it straight to the trash can good luck with yours though lol

User thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

It sounds like it won't get invasive in your area like it did for me, so I'd go for it if it's requiring too much care in its current position. This is one plant I'd expect to fend for itself.

P.S. Your link is bad.

User thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    6 years ago

I on the other hand love wisteria: it's beautiful in all seasons and requires only a major pruning in the winter, which is a job, but worth it. Ours grow on a pergola in front of our house where they provide much-needed shade. Ours do fine, though I must add that one of our original three keeled over on me after several years and from an apparently thriving state. Like you, I don't water wisteria, or anything else, after the first year. However the pot ghetto lives under its pergola, so it may be getting some water and nutrients from them; also, it's partly shaded by a persimmon tree which gives it some protection from sun and wind, and it grows in what was orignally mainly rubble with organic matter, rather than in our usual dense clay. If you're tempted to keep it, I think moving it to an area with better soil is a reasonable idea. If it was ever going to settle in, it ought to have done so by now. Or if that's too much labor (a consideration I know), heavy mulching with something that won't compact. N.b. could it possibly be suffering from a too alkaline soil?

User thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

In your situation, bart, and with the physical challenges I know you face, I would take it out. Its blooming period is so short that I wouldn't consider it worth the trouble to relocate it, especially since you have no guarantee it will survive in our ever hotter and drier climate, even in a better location.

User thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Anne Zone 7a Northern CA
    6 years ago

I love wisteria and have moved some in my time. They are pretty hearty as far as making it, they sit there and sulk for a year then take back off. With a japanese I would chance it, the American natives grow so slowly for me I don't know if I would risk moving one of them. It all depends how much you like wisteria, For me it is one of those plants that make Spring Spring and I require at least seeing and smelling some in bloom. There is one at the local nursery that brings the Wow factor home, It is all the way to the top of a 100 foot pine tree and the pine looks purple when it blooms. I don't know what variety it is. I have one in one yard and have planted three recently in this yard. One is heading to the skies on a cedar tree. :)

User thanked Anne Zone 7a Northern CA
  • portlandmysteryrose
    6 years ago

Is there another location in your garden where the wisteria would serve an aesthetic or shade purpose? If so, I think I'd move it in cooler times, water it as needed for one year and then let it fend for itself. If it establishes, it will be fragrant and gorgeous! Since your climate is not one that's prone to invasion, you won't have that worry to spoil the fun. Carol

User thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • cathz6
    6 years ago

My first thought was, sink or swim. You need to be extra careful with your hip problems so that you can continue gardening. (DH had some hip problems but they turned out to be back problems and much more serious). Is the wisteria in a critical location for your aesthetic plan? If so, I would coddle it for awhile, but not forever. If not, I would layer it so that I would have only that small rooted cutting to move. I would still leave the mother plant in place (without coddling) to allow it more opportunity to establish just in case it would. All this takes time so I am hoping that is not an issue for you.

Cath

User thanked cathz6
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

First I want to apologize for my carelessness about the un-intended link. It seems that Houzz does this automatically when un-knowingly I type in certain combinations of letters; I can't see any editing option on the post so I can't take it out now,but I will try to be more careful in the future. Secondly I'm really glad I posted this on THIS forum as well as on "Vines" because the responses you are all giving me is what I was really hoping for...that is, I was hoping to "discuss" the question with fellow gardeners. So thank you all so much!!!

I love wisteria, but am very confused. Back when I put in my first wisteria plant (Chinese one, Prolific), I read that it was "suitable for xeriscaping",extremely vigourous and even invasive, etc, etc. So I planted it on a hill with shallow, rocky soil,that was covered with broom, wild clematis and blackberries, thinking that the wisteria would be macho enough to compete. Not so! Eight years later, that plant is still only about 7-8 feet tall. Last year it almost lost all of it's leaves; I saved it by cutting away all the invading weeds, mulching, and watering. It's a bit better this year, though didn't flower much of course, due to the stress,but still seems to be struggling. This one has been very beautiful in the past,but I'm not considering moving this one, since I have other "Prolifics" elsewhere,planted in deeper soil, which are thriving (though one refuses to bloom so far...) Now, this Macrobotrys is a different story. I only have the one plant. It has produced a few flowers, so I know for sure it's not a "mule". These are 2 good reasons for trying to save it actively. The cons: mainly,I've got to face up to my physical limitations : digging it up would be a LOT of work. Also, it's never yet done anything to make me fall in love with it,though this may well be due to the bad conditions. I guess I think/thought that moving it to deeper soil would be the surest way to "save it actively",since that seems to be the most effective course to take with roses, but Cassandra's comment gives me something to consider (that little dryad is SO beautiful, btw!!!) I so long to obtain the effect that Anne is talking about,but haven't done so yet, not even with the better-placed wisteria...Cath, your post sounds very sensible,but why do you suggest layering this older plant instead of just buying a new one? Would a layerd baby from this one be a guarenteed "non-mule", perhaps? or is it just for economic reasons?

• cathz6
    6 years ago

Bart, it would be for economic reasons. Also, once a plant is "under my protection" I tend to care for it as long as it will live. I guess I consider a clone still the same plant. Recently I have become a little more ruthless. I actually SPed a rose, Neptune.

Cath

User thanked cathz6
  • portlandmysteryrose
    6 years ago

With hips to consider, I'd follow Cath's advice, Bart. No wisteria relocation! Our bodies are more precious than any (replaceable) garden plant. Layering is a great idea if you don't have another wisteria in your budget or if you want a back-up of a correct variety when ordering another from a nursery. Whatever you do, health first! Carol

• Vicissitudezz
    6 years ago

Wimpy and wisteria don't look to me like they belong in the same sentence. At our house we wage war on wisteria, and will never win. It is horribly invasive here. I wonder if it's the humidity that makes it so troublesome?

I agree with Cath and Carol- don't try to move the existing plant... either buy another (which might be a better clone), or root some of the existing plant. Just don't send me any!

Virginia

User thanked Vicissitudezz
  • titian1 10b Sydney
    6 years ago

bart, like Carol, if you are going to move it, I'd leave it till it's cooler. A method I've found improves the chance of survival (though have never moved wisteria, that I remember), is to spade around the plant weeks or months before moving it. That way, new roots form at the cut. Could you have it in a large pot at your house? Good luck.

User thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

O, never fear, any moving of plants has got to be put off until fall;I've learned the hard way that spring and summer are definitely NOT gardening seasons in Tuscany.

Buying a new one on-line would cost about 17 euros,I think; not a fortune by any means. But I think deep down I sort of feel like Cath. " once a plant is "under my protection" I tend to care for it as long as it will live." But I think I am going to have to start being more "ruthless" ,too; much more ruthless.

6 years ago

Bart, I was thinking of you and this thread last night as I was pulling wisteria starts out of my lawn and my altromeria.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

LOL!!!

6 years ago

I know some varieties aren't invasive. That sounds like what you have. It's the same with Heavenly Bamboo. I love it but, some of it pops up everywhere . But, the kind I get doesnt. Unfortunately the previous owner planted all kinds of vines and bulbs

Don't even get me started on those bulbs. Lol

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well, the plant got a reprieve thanks to a much, much needed rain. I'm definitely leaning to the "sink or swim" idea,though I do hope to mulch it properly,maybe cut it back a bit more, too, so there's less plant for the roots to heve to hydrate. I suspect that the yearly summer drought is what prevents wisteria from being enthusiastic in my garden, though I did have one Amethyst Falls that died at the graft and now I have sprouts from the rootstock in the area in which it grew. But considering all the other uber-aggressive weeds that plague my land (blackberries, wild clematis,etc) , I can't get very upset about these little guys.