SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_champagne80

Advice needed on best way to root Helichrysum and lavender cuttings

The setup I've made for rooting helichrysum and lavender cuttings isn't working out. I cut off the bottom 3rd of some 2 liter pop bottles, filled the bottom inch or so with a layer of wet perlite, then put a layer of damp potting soil on top. I used clear containers and perlite in the bottom so that I could see the roots if they grew. I dipped the cuttings in rooting hormone and carefully put each one in a premade hole (a few in each bottle bottom), misted the soil, then enclosed everything, using the top remaining portion of the bottle, to hold the moisture in. And put them all under the grow light. The helichrysum is doing well. I can see lots of roots in the bottom. I just don't know when they should be transplanted to soil, or whether to put in a pot or the ground. The lavender did good at first but then every one of them rotted. I don't want to have the grow light on anymore. I want to pack it away for the rest of the year. I plan on doing a whole lot more cuttings and all those 2 liters are taking up too much room in my house. Could I put the bottles outside? Is keeping them enclosed with the bottle tops really necessary? Why did all the lavender rot? Maybe I should use a different method for those, if so, what method?

Comments (2)