SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shelbianne

New shoot found after cutting stems half way. Advice?

shelbianne
9 years ago

Im new to caring for and owning an orchid. I bought one in March from a local grocery store because it was gorgeous and Id wanted one for a while, its a phaleonopsis. It wasn't doing to well, it was dying within a week of bringing it home, i looked at the roots and it was a disaster zone down there, rotten and clumped together, it really looked bad, so I decided to repot, which might not have been the best decision as my plan still had flowers on it but it worked out for the best and hes looking very healthy, new roots are growing and hes a lovely shade of green. The flowers did unfortunately die but the stem stayed green, it did not go brown and die as many websites suggested it would so I left it because i was very nervous about cutting the stem. I finally plucked up the courage today (a month after the flowers fell) to cut it down to the third node in the hopes that it might re-bloom because the stem still is very healthy. After I cut it and was applying cinnamon to the wounds and leaves ( I do this because I heard it helps prevent crown rot?) I noticed a little green thing between the first and second leaves, its pointing upwards and I think it is a new shoot and should grow into a stem or flower spike (I'm not too familiar with the terminology) It doesn't look anything like a root. So now I'm conflicted. Clearly my plant has recovered to the point where it feels it can support the two existing stems and a new one but I'm not sure whether I should leave the current stems as is and see if they grow and hope the little guy between the leaves continues to grow or if I should rather cut the stems down to the base so that all the plants energy can be focused on the new shoot. I don't want to make a mistake, Ive invested a lot of time and love into this plant and its incredibly exciting to see how far its come despite my lack of knowledge and I'm scared if I do the wrong thing here I could end up killing all three stems. Any advice??

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH