SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jameshawes5

Advice on keeping rooted cuttings alive in zone 5b

James Hawes
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I lIve north of Indianapolis, Indiana, zone 5b. I've really fine tuned my process for rooting to the point that I now have a 90% success rate! at times 100%. My challenge, and what I could use advice about, especially from those with experience in this part of the country, is keeping those new cuttings alive through their first winter. Winters can be harsh here, and the last two have been so cold. When I get new band roses in April, I immediately put them in the ground and give them as much time as possible to grow and develope roots in their first growing season. I generally get roses to root in 3 to 4 weeks, another week to harden off, and the ready to plant either in pots or right in the garden. I am torn as to whether I should pot them and leave them in the pots over the winter, or do like I do with the bands in the spring and hope they can survive the winter. I've tried both ways and always loose a certain number of the cuttings by the time winter is done. Right now (July 1st) I have several healthy cuttings with really good roots. I could pot them up, or get them in the ground and pamper the heck out of them until winter comes. I try to cover as many as I can with pine needles, but I have too many to do to much as far as any elaborate winter protection goes. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (5)