SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashish_ntx

Newbie here, introductions & need help to ID

Me Is Me
6 years ago

(scroll down to pictures for my plant id question)

Hi All,

Newbie here. Been trolling these forums for a few weeks now... boy you guys & gals are amazing here. Found a lot of useful info on what not to do, what to plant & so on. Quick background - I'm in the North Dallas area, typical ranch style house from the 60's with an oversized lot. Mature trees, tall fescue where it'll grow, weeds for the rest, typical foundation hedges & and a lot of neglect.

Since we recently closed our pool, we now want to create a little haven for the wildlife that surrounds us. Did a quick search on pollinator attractors, made a list for our zone & headed to Lowe's+HD. Picked what we could find. Added a drip system around them after planting & voila! We should be done right ;-) 4 weeks later, all the Gerbera Daisies are on life support, one of the Coreopsis, not sure why, just doesn't want to co-operate. Calla Lilies are in shade & roots are probably rotting, Day lilies... 3 hrs of sun should be plenty, lol. Lesson learned... research & soil test. And if that doesn't work, just do a rain dance

Not all our plants have gone down though. Our KO roses are doing great, but apparently I'm proficient at weed growing so that shouldn't count. The Salvia, Russian Sage, Hibiscus, Lanai Verbena, Cone flower, Shasta Daisy, Butterfly Bush, Lavender, most of our Coreopsis & Belinda's Dream Rose, all have held up well. All have lot's of new growth & have new sets of blooms. Very pleased with what has survived & will be building up from here.

That said, plants from Lowe's had the cultivar(?) names but the one's from HD did not. So I'm not sure what kind of Salvia we have. From what I researched, could be Salvia Greggi or Salvi Microphylla. Can you plz tell me what kind it is. And can u also identify the insect in the first pic(inside the flower)

Thx! More post's to follow :-)

Comments (7)