SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

Drip irrigation setup

hairmetal4ever
6 years ago

I’m trying to at least begin the design process for drip irrigation (probably starting next spring). I’ve calculated that, if I plant what I expect to, I’d need around 280 – 330 linear feet of drip tape or line all together.

Here is what I can’t seem to find a cut and dry answer to…

Say you have drip tape rated for 40 GPH per 100’. My soil drains/percolates well enough that I can use the higher-capacity tape.

I am on a well, and if I open my hose spigot full blast without a nozzle, I can fill a 5-gallon bucket in a bit under a minute. If the tape ran exactly as advertised, in one hour, at 300’ of tape, I’d use 120 gallons of water, or 2 GPM. So my well and pump are far more than capable of doing that.

The tapes are usually rated based on somewhere from 8-15 PSI.

How do I really know what my water output is? If I run 100’ vs 300’, will the tape put out more water, or is it somewhat “self-regulating”? I realize that any way you slice it, my well and pump are capable of putting out far more water than the drip system would let it put out, which is good, but I guess I’m just confused as to where to begin and how to know how much water I will really be putting out.

Is it as simple as setting the whole thing up, sitting a pan under one of the emitters, and seeing what happens?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths