SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joaniepoanie

Need help with awkward situation

joaniepoanie
6 years ago

My son texted me that the 40 year old son of our neighbor of 32 years passed away suddenly on Sunday. My son saw it on the FB of the brother. He was married with 3 kids under the age of 13. The viewing is tomorrow and the funeral is Saturday.

Here's my dilemma. I haven't talked to my neighbor in at least five years....just a wave maybe once or twice a year if we're coming or going at the same time. No animosity or anything like that...it's just how nearly all the neighborhood relationships evolved once all of our kids hit high school and beyond and went their separate ways. Sad, I know.

I can't make the funeral, but am debating whether to go to the viewing. Would it be weird and awkward for them since I've had no contact with the family for so long? Or is it worse if I don't go? Should I just send a sympathy card or maybe flowers to my neighbor next week? They have set up a GoFundMe page to help with the support of the children. Should I just donate to that? I keep going round and round and am just not sure what to do.

Comments (31)