SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
feisty68

"soft modern" small kitchen reno - Part III of the ongoing saga ;)

feisty68
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi folks! My husband and I started our small kitchen renovation in February 2014. It's been a DIY show (contractors for the flooring, granite counters, and drywall only). We've stalled out quite a few times due to family and health crises...it's been discouraging. Cheer-leading welcome!

On the other hand, I am really pleased with the appearance and function of much of what we have chosen and installed so far. The kitchen is open concept, facing a dining/living area with a mountain view. The entrance door to our condo is beside the kitchen.

my mission statement from February 2014:

I would love my kitchen to be functional for preparing daily scratch meals, with easy-to-clean, hard-wearing surfaces. I want to be social with my family while I am working in the kitchen, and to encourage more kitchen participation from my children. I want my kitchen to look softly modern, full of light, with minimal visual clutter. I want my kitchen to feel like an open and welcoming entrance to our flat and I want it to be completely integrated into the attached dining/living area and not scream "kitchen area". In this casual space I want to highlight artwork, people, and decorative items rather than walls/appliances/surfaces.

Here's where we are at so far, with drywall finally done:

close-up of some finishes (filter applied) - not shown is classic site-finished oak floor:

Comments (40)