SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
javiwa

Sunny Knockouts under assault!

javiwa
6 years ago

I planted a couple of 1-gallon Sunny KOs two months ago (raised area -- worked some cotton burr compost and a small scattering of alfalfa pellets; midday to evening sun), and the plants/leaves did fine -- no discernible transplant shock/symptoms. Weeks went by, however, and they never bloomed. I planted a pink KO in the front yard at the same time, and it flowered immediately and is already putting out new growth.

I took a closer look at the Sunnys last week and found: 1) aphids covering every single unopened bud, and 2) this leaf damage (photos taken today):

(Let me know if these images are too small to be helpful.)

Some of the leaves have holes, as in the set up top. Others have dark spots.

I've read many posts over the years about how to deal with aphids. I don't know what it is about my particular yard, but aphids come in droves and have indeed inundated plants (mostly milkweeds) to the point where the plant dies. Blasts from a hose are ineffective. Leaving them alone and waiting for the beneficials to kick in don't work. I ended up spritzing just the buds with a weakened solution of Spectracide's Triazicide, enough to get rid of the aphids. Within 24 hours, the undamaged buds burst open: yippee! Four blossoms on one bush! (See? My benchmark is low, at this point.) I waited a week for the other bush to blossom: nada.

Went out today and found this damage to the buds -- left pic is as is; the right two are with the sepal (?) peeled back to expose the bud:

I couldn't find any bugs in there.

I also did notice one leaf on the bush was curled under. It had a dense, white webbing towards the upper surface tip (left photo); underneath, more webbing (right pic). The webbing doesn't show up very well in the pics as I rinsed the dirt off the leaf for a better pic:

Do I have more than one issue going on? TIA, experts!

Comments (24)